Russian RAKETA 24Hr Submarine Radio Room

Poljot, Vostok, Buran and more discussed here...

Russian RAKETA 24Hr Submarine Radio Room

Postby Ofcmark » May 12th 2014, 3:48pm

I bought a Russian RAKETA 24Hr Submarine Radio Room as an impulse buy. The thing is I don’t know anything about 24 hr watches. There was no manual with the watch so I figured I asked here for help and to increase my knowledge of this watch.
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Re: Russian RAKETA 24Hr Submarine Radio Room

Postby conjurer » May 12th 2014, 4:14pm

I'm not familiar with this particular Russkie, Mark, but I'm guessing it uses a Vostok movement that's got the hour hand geared to run once around the dial in 24 hours instead of twice. If that's the case, it should wind and set just like a regular Vostok. Check Russia2All's website, they might have video links for it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 12th 2014, 4:25pm

It takes awhile to get used to reading the 24 hour dial. Noon looks like 6 PM on a traditional 12 hour dial so it can make for a long day.
I hope you don't care much about the date function on your watches. Otherwise you are in for a world of hurt. Russkies aren't big fans of quick change dates.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » May 12th 2014, 4:44pm

Raketa watches AKA Zvezda and Pobeda are made by the Petrodvorets Watch Factory that (as far as I know) have no connection with Vostok , it is a much older watch manufacturer as well, the name Raketa was used for the first time in 1961 to celebrate Gagarin's flight ...you may (or may not) have a 2609N movement in your 24 hour dial watch, which is a Raketa own in-house manufacture movement....quality varies widely from cheap to very high end watches......they have a "Polar Explorer" model that is very popular, Petrodvorets also have the only watch making school in Russia.
24 hour dials are an acquired taste and take some time to get use to it....if you can, post some pics front/back
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Ofcmark » May 12th 2014, 6:29pm

Eddie
Here is a link to the Ad for the watch. I paid $85.00 for it with shipping. Like I said it was an impulse buy. I just thought it was different looking. I also wanted to know what the rotating Bezel was for. The bezel is turned by the lower knob. It has three colored sections two are blue and one is red. I have figured out the shorter hand is the hour but I’m not sure how to read the longer hand for the minutes

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-f ... 24397.html
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby Airframer » May 12th 2014, 6:36pm

Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » May 12th 2014, 6:41pm

Ofcmark wrote:Eddie
Here is a link to the Ad for the watch. I paid $85.00 for it with shipping. Like I said it was an impulse buy. I just thought it was different looking. I also wanted to know what the rotating Bezel was for. The bezel is turned by the lower knob. It has three colored sections two are blue and one is red. I have figured out the shorter hand is the hour but I’m not sure how to read the longer hand for the minutes

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-f ... 24397.html

Minute hand functions like a 12 hr dial minute hand. Only the hour hand is different.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Ofcmark » May 12th 2014, 7:22pm

Got any idea what the red and blue marking on the rotating Bezel are for?
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby Airframer » May 12th 2014, 8:02pm

Most "radio room" watches/clocks I've seen have markings are to observe periods of radio silence every hour. Something along these lines: http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/chelsea.html
However, those markings are different. I see the dial is divided into sets of 4 hour increments (10 minute?).
Maybe scheduled watches aboard ship?
Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » May 13th 2014, 3:43am

Ofcmark wrote:Got any idea what the red and blue marking on the rotating Bezel are for?

It measure 4 hours time segments but, the specific application (if any) is unknown to me...
Caution is needed with the Raketas, notice that the watch is marked "Made in the USSR" something that doesn't exist anymore and the watch is clearly new (not NOS), the Raketa trademark now belongs to the TEM Watch Company , which I think is a Hong Kong outfit (but not 100% sure)
They are also some ex-watchmakers from the Petrodvorets factory, now independently making watches with Raketa movements and marking them USSR (CCCP)...but for $85.00 is not too bad , you get the flavor ;)
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/raketa-24
eddiea

Postby gerdson » May 13th 2014, 2:19pm

In the heads of many, it IS still USSR...

I like this watch. Got a 24h Tissot waiting in the drawer, bought it years ago (at the start of collecting vintage watches, Tissot PR 516 models were my first passion.) I never had it serviced yet, because of reservations with regard to readability. I will be happy to learn from Your experience, to see if it is worth the effort. :D

About the 10min/4h intervals - the typical watch ("watch" as in "shift") on a German sub is 6 hours. I doubt the Russkis are running on 4, but I actually found something like that on a German collector's site. So I guess Airframer is right.
http://www.sammlerpage.de/Verkauf/V_Uhren/U_Raketa/U_Ra_24h/u_ra_24h.html

Edit - some more research, but on a German forum of Navy experts - the sovjet navy subs were likely running a 4h watch.
http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php?topic=14708.0
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 13th 2014, 3:26pm

gerdson wrote:In the heads of many, it IS still USSR...

You think?....I desagree , maybe in the heads of those who like bullshit , living in the long gone past, are idiots, or still wearing Stalin t-shirts ? aside from the illiterate, fanatics etc. not many in the grand scheme of things, even less when is specific to the watch buying public....which is what's relevant to this thread.
These watches as well as some Vostock , Poljot, etc models are saw after mostly by westerners pursuing a momento from the good old USSR sadly, true vintages are scarce...next best thing are these homages but, putting Made in the USSR on a dial when is not, is exactly like putting Swiss Made on a dial of a watch made in China.
Last edited by eddiea on May 13th 2014, 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2014, 4:19pm

I like this watch. Got a 24h Tissot waiting in the drawer, bought it years ago (at the start of collecting vintage watches, Tissot PR 516 models were my first passion.) I never had it serviced yet, because of reservations with regard to readability. I will be happy to learn from Your experience, to see if it is worth the effort. :D

About the 10min/4h intervals - the typical watch ("watch" as in "shift") on a German sub is 6 hours. I doubt the Russkis are running on 4, but I actually found something like that on a German collector's site. So I guess Airframer is right.
http://www.sammlerpage.de/Verkauf/V_Uhren/U_Raketa/U_Ra_24h/u_ra_24h.html

Edit - some more research, but on a German forum of Navy experts - the sovjet navy subs were likely running a 4h watch.
http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php?topic=14708.0

Holy shit! We're letting you guys have U-Boats again??? :shock:
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » May 13th 2014, 4:43pm

conjurer wrote:

Not to worry...they're small boats intended for coastal protection and Baltic operations, like the Type VII from WW2.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2014, 5:06pm

Tzimisces wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Not to worry...they're small boats intended for coastal protection and Baltic operations, like the Type VII from WW2.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » May 13th 2014, 6:28pm

Torpedo los!
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Ofcmark » May 13th 2014, 6:29pm

Nice photo John
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » May 13th 2014, 9:33pm

eddiea wrote:

You think?....I desagree , maybe in the heads of those who like bullshit ,...

Sorry, this was indeed meant 90% ironic. :mrgreen:

"Torpedo los"?
:lol:

The boats we do employ are pretty high tech, running on fuel cells, practically noiseless. But they don't carry any nukes, verdammt. German subs are so small, because they must indeed be able to dive through an area of the Baltic, that is partly only 30ft deep. This class of subs however was designed also for global operations and is capable of sustained operations under water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2014, 9:56pm

gerdson wrote:
eddiea wrote:

You think?....I desagree , maybe in the heads of those who like bullshit ,...

Sorry, this was indeed meant 90% ironic. :mrgreen:

"Torpedo los"?
:lol:

The boats we do employ are pretty high tech, running on fuel cells, practically noiseless. But they don't carry any nukes, verdammt. German subs are so small, because they must indeed be able to dive through an area of the Baltic, that is partly only 30ft deep. This class of subs however was designed also for global operations and is capable of sustained operations under water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

I understand, gerdy. I was just breaking your balls a little bit.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 13th 2014, 10:05pm

Very nice looking watch, OM. The four-hour increments in blue and white represent the normal four-hour watches stood by 'haze grey and underway' Sailors. In the USN, the afternoon watches are called the "dog watches," which are short, two-hour periods so that everyone gets a chance to have evening chow, irrespective of when they stand the watch. The second purpose of the "dog watches" is to keep Sailors in the rotation from standing the same watch, day after day. The "first dog" is from 1600 (4 PM for you civs out there) to 1800 (6 PM), and the "second dog" runs from 1800 to 2000 (8 PM).

The USSR/Russia watch has a three-hour, 1400 through 1700 (2-5 PM) period indicated in red, followed by a five-hour period (in white) from 1700 (5 PM) to 2200 (10 PM). Rather than run two "dog watches," the Russians had a foreshortened afternoon watch that ended after only three hours, allowing all of the ship's watch standers to eat the evening meal. The guys who got the 5-10 PM watch would eat chow from 4 to 5PM, after which they'd go stand their five-hour evening watch. The guys relieved from the 2 to 5 PM watch would get "regular" chow from 5 to 6 PM. Kind of a convoluted explanation, but that was the Soviets' way of 'divvying up' the afternoon mealtime/watch rotation.

In the USN, everyone used to look forward to the "dog watches," as they were only two hours long and you got a good rest period afterward. Of course, aviators never had to stand watch -- we needed lots of "crew rest" :mrgreen: -- so it was never an issue with us...of course, the 'black shoes' all hated us, but we understood, telling them, "don't hate us because we're beautiful." :lol:
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » May 13th 2014, 10:19pm

Mortuus wrote:...of course, the 'black shoes' all hated us, but we understood, telling them, "don't hate us because we're beautiful." :lol:

You meant to say "because we think we're beautiful".
:mrgreen:

Interesting!
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2014, 10:23pm

Mortuus wrote:Very nice looking watch, OM. The four-hour increments in blue and white represent the normal four-hour watches stood by 'haze grey and underway' Sailors. In the USN, the afternoon watches are called the "dog watches," which are short, two-hour periods so that everyone gets a chance to have evening chow, irrespective of when they stand the watch. The second purpose of the "dog watches" is to keep Sailors in the rotation from standing the same watch, day after day. The "first dog" is from 1600 (4 PM for you civs out there) to 1800 (6 PM), and the "second dog" runs from 1800 to 2000 (8 PM).

The USSR/Russia watch has a three-hour, 1400 through 1700 (2-5 PM) period indicated in red, followed by a five-hour period (in white) from 1700 (5 PM) to 2200 (10 PM). Rather than run two "dog watches," the Russians had a foreshortened afternoon watch that ended after only three hours, allowing all of the ship's watch standers to eat the evening meal. The guys who got the 5-10 PM watch would eat chow from 4 to 5PM, after which they'd go stand their five-hour evening watch. The guys relieved from the 2 to 5 PM watch would get "regular" chow from 5 to 6 PM. Kind of a convoluted explanation, but that was the Soviets' way of 'divvying up' the afternoon mealtime/watch rotation.

In the USN, everyone used to look forward to the "dog watches," as they were only two hours long and you got a good rest period afterward. Of course, aviators never had to stand watch -- we needed lots of "crew rest" :mrgreen: -- so it was never an issue with us...of course, the 'black shoes' all hated us, but we understood, telling them, "don't hate us because we're beautiful." :lol:

So, this means that the dog-watch is cur-tailed?

"Cur-tailed" gag © some-fucking-time, Patrick O'Brian.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 13th 2014, 10:38pm

conjurer wrote:So, this means that the dog-watch is cur-tailed?

"Cur-tailed" gag © some-fucking-time, Patrick O'Brian.

:?

"Mifter Congolightor, dat joak sux lack uh 'lectrolux. Befides, Eye din't get it...my Deddy sezz you has dyarrearer diarema diearhearur a runny mouf. Whut's dat meen? Duzzat meen you tock too mutch?"
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Russian Watches