The Volmax OKEHA and a Watch Komrade's meltdown...

Poljot, Vostok, Buran and more discussed here...

The Volmax OKEHA and a Watch Komrade's meltdown...

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2012, 10:55am

Craig Hester gets cranky with his own potential costumers at WUS... Image

The "Final Edition" OKEHA was/is an LE of 300 , agreed to be made and offered by Volmax to a watch forum in Europe (some are WUS members as well), as I get a bit deeper into this shit and aside from the original WUS whining (I would too BTW), I starting to realized that it is a sustancial amount of this watches across Europe for trade/sale....
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/oke...on-761006.html
Last edited by Anonymous on December 22nd 2012, 4:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: The Volmax OKEHA and a Watch Komrade's meltdown...

Postby foghorn » December 20th 2012, 11:12am

I remember when Hester was just venturing into the forum world back in my BDWF days. I think the TV crap turned him-he initially seemed like a knowledgeable guy with a small ,niche watch business.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2012, 11:26am

I've been through my Russian watch phase and done a little business with Hester--and he's a good guy.

However, anybody who collects the Russian stuff and believes anything these makers say is either a naive noob or a fucking imbecile. If there's possibly a worse market for business ethics than the TV watch crap it's the Russian watch shit.

When they first started appearing on ShopAtHome some years back, they were relatively reasonably priced trinkets, hyped by a weird nostalgia for the old Cold War duck-and-cover mindset. People capitalized on this and they became somewhat popular. Vostok Europe went from making kind of cool watches to the Invicter route, making larger cases, cheap (and non-Russian) movements, and jacking their prices way up. They also pretended to make "limited edition" runs, and I don't think I've ever seen a modern Russian watch that wasn't a "LE" model.

Interestingly, the one company in Russia that seemed to be making pretty decent watches was Volmax. Now that seems suspect as well.

I think Hester got jammed up in this WUS thread, which he really didn't deserve. On the other hand, you do business with jagoffs, some of it is bound to rub off on your reputation.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » December 20th 2012, 11:29am

Not Russian to judgment, but something stinks worse than week-old kapusta
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby bigedsurf » December 20th 2012, 11:36am

Hester should never have responded............he would have been much better off. This is Volmax's baby.
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2012, 11:38am

conjurer wrote:I've been through my Russian watch phase and done a little business with Hester--and he's a good guy.
I think Hester got jammed up in this WUS thread, which he really didn't deserve. On the other hand, you do business with jagoffs, some of it is bound to rub off on your reputation.

I was surprised too, never heard an ethics or business related complaint about him, till now ... personally, his "friendship" with Temple (even long before Shop) and his high prices were always a deterrent for me...
eddiea

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2012, 11:45am

bigedsurf wrote:Hester should never have responded............he would have been much better off. This is Volmax's baby.

I think the perception of the folks at WUS is, that Hester knew about the WUS project (was on for a year or so)and should have stay hands off the Volmax cookie jar deal, out of respect for the WUS members (lots of them also Hester's costumers) that put the effort to make it happen, not that he did anything wrong legally.
eddiea

Postby bigedsurf » December 20th 2012, 11:54am

Understood..........
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby koimaster » December 27th 2012, 3:17pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Falstaff » January 22nd 2013, 8:27am

Hester's defense sounds a little shifty to me. Offering the watches by private e-mail to individuals is one thing, but then to say "and to our Shop NBC customers" rather takes away from his assertion that these were not intended to be advertised to a mass audience. Guess he must have really meant "not intended to be advertised on a forum where they may be questioned by a knowledgeable membership."

Further, in one of his later posts, he begins "I assumed...." - a far cry from his original statements as to his full knowledge and assurance of the watches' provenance.

As others have said, a nice enough guy, but that may just have been "Watch Komrade 1.0". Version 2.0 may have begun to drink the Lalo juice.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » January 22nd 2013, 8:52am

Falstaff wrote:Hester's defense sounds a little shifty to me. Offering the watches by private e-mail to individuals is one thing, but then to say "and to our Shop NBC customers" rather takes away from his assertion that these were not intended to be advertised to a mass audience. Guess he must have really meant "not intended to be advertised on a forum where they may be questioned by a knowledgeable membership."

Further, in one of his later posts, he begins "I assumed...." - a far cry from his original statements as to his full knowledge and assurance of the watches' provenance.

As others have said, a nice enough guy, but that may just have been "Watch Komrade 1.0". Version 2.0 may have begun to drink the Lalo juice.

I don't know if you could call Shop's viewership a mass audience.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » January 22nd 2013, 9:04am

conjurer wrote:
Falstaff wrote:Hester's defense sounds a little shifty to me. Offering the watches by private e-mail to individuals is one thing, but then to say "and to our Shop NBC customers" rather takes away from his assertion that these were not intended to be advertised to a mass audience. Guess he must have really meant "not intended to be advertised on a forum where they may be questioned by a knowledgeable membership."

"Mass" in the sense that anyone who has the ability to receive Shop broadcasts can purchase one - a non-select group as opposed to a dedicated e-mail sent to an individual.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » January 22nd 2013, 9:05am

Falstaff wrote:
conjurer wrote:

"Mass" in the sense that anyone who has the ability to receive Shop broadcasts can purchase one - a non-select group as opposed to a dedicated e-mail sent to an individual.

It was, like, a joke, Falstaff.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » January 22nd 2013, 9:16am

conjurer wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
conjurer wrote:

It was, like, a joke, Falstaff.

Ah, I see. Sometimes sophisticated humor escapes me, naif that I am - color me chagrined.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to Russian Watches