WatchTime New York Luxury Watch Show

Other forum links and links to many blogs and magazines

WatchTime New York Luxury Watch Show

Postby TemerityB » October 15th 2016, 5:31pm

Good heavens, I am sick as a dog today. The missus walked around with a bad cold for a week - everyone in her office has been hacking and sneezing - and I finally succumbed to it a couple of days ago. Feeling really poor, I still managed to drag myself to the truly beautiful Gotham Hall in midtown NYC for the annual WatchTime New York watch show, which is kind of a preview for the holiday season for 22 major watch brands, pretty much the cream of the Swiss, German, and Japanese brands.

Tell you what: If interest in high-end watches is waning, you'd never know it from the attendance at the show this year. The Friday night opening was sold out. Today's part of the event was the displays of the manufacturers as well as seminars on various topics (vintage collecting, this year's Basel show, the history of dive watches, and more). I had pre-purchased tickets but didn't have the stamina for hour-long seminars, so we basically browsed the floor for about 90 minutes.

Featured were Omega (the most popular, hard-to-get-near display, at least while I was there), Nomos (really impressive), RGM (really impressed with this display, which including one of the employees building a watch, as well as on-site views of the machine where they do guilloche work - with employees actually making pieces right in front of you), Seiko (who also had a watchmaker on site, as well as display with just a couple of Credors models and much of the Prospex and Grand Seiko lines), Vacheron Constantin (also mobbed), A. Lange & Sohne, Armin Strom, Tutima, Speake-Marin, Urban Jurgensen (first time I've ever seen them in real time), Perrelet (disappointing to me since they weren't displaying models I was interested in), Romain Gauthier, Moritz Grossman (another brand I'd never had access to but, wow - one of their models I would have perhaps purchased, a jaw-dropping dress watch (the Tefnut), if had not been worth, oh, only about $25,000), Blancpain, Glasshute Original, and more.

As I write this, my brain is kinda fogging in and out, so here's a bunch of photos taken with an iPhone camera. Was it worth it? Oh, heck, yeah - I got to try on and view some of the nicest watches I've ever seen, the admission was cheap, and we enjoyed delicious Swiss wines and chocolates gratis. Also left with a stack of hardcover watch caatlogs and other stuff. Hope the photos are okay.

RGM, I really liked the watches and the people:

Moritz Grossman (the second photo as the apple of my eye, but the foto is terrible)

For Foggy: MB&F!

Seiko, which probably had the largest array of watches on display

I usually really dislike Corum, but I liked one model while the rest reminded me of Croton:

Omega, though I had seen many of the same watches at B&M previously:

Nomos knocked me out:

Urban Jurgensen, well out of my sphere but just really hot:

Tell ya what: I really appreciated there wasn't a lot of snooty-poot going on; all the brands' reps invited us to try on all the watches we liked. Although there were like three brands there in total that I can probably afford, it was a good experience and I'd readily go again next year.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: WatchTime New York Luxury Watch Show

Postby spanky1 » October 15th 2016, 6:09pm

Very nice, thanks for posting the pictures
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 15th 2016, 6:13pm

Looks like a great time. Thanks.
Feel better, T.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » October 16th 2016, 6:11am

I am so jealous! Hate you are feeling like crap and hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for posting up your experience and the pics. That white dial Omega AT gives me the Sunday morning boner.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » October 16th 2016, 7:27am

Maybe there is a heaven on earth after all..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby hcharles » October 16th 2016, 7:49am

Sounded like it was a good show. Thanks for the photos and your take on the brands. Feel better soon.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 16th 2016, 8:37am

TemerityB wrote:Image

Dang. Roland Murphy's really let himself go over the years.

Thanks for the werds and pics, T! An impressive show. Feel better soon, goddamn it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby jason_recliner » October 16th 2016, 2:27pm

conjurer wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Image

Dang. Roland Murphy's really let himself go over the years.

Actually, that's Glen Quagmire.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » October 16th 2016, 2:34pm

And his giggitygiggiytgiggity machine.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » October 16th 2016, 2:49pm

You know, I'd feel really bad if that was actually a picture of Temerity.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » October 16th 2016, 2:51pm

conjurer wrote:You know, I'd feel really bad if that was actually a picture of Temerity.

Ain't me. This was a very informative and quite pleasant young gentleman.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 16th 2016, 2:55pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:You know, I'd feel really bad if that was actually a picture of Temerity.

Ain't me. This was a very informative and quite pleasant young gentleman.

Good to know. One thing that pisses me off about the interwebz is how so many fucking smartasses, safe and comfortable behind their keyboards, constantly insult and denigrate people just because of their appearance!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » October 16th 2016, 3:59pm

+1.
The mere fact that someone is a fat,bald,old fuck is no reason to call them a fat,bald,old fuck.

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » October 16th 2016, 4:49pm

foghorn wrote:+1.
The mere fact that someone is a fat,bald,old fuck is no reason to call them a fat,bald,old fuck.

Well said. Another thing that bothers the hell out of me is when we Americans make fun of foreigners--often because of their lack of English--hey, their English is better than my Serbo-Croat!--or sometimes belittling them because of outmoded national stereotypes--such as breaking Italian balls because of their supposed lack of military courage, i.e.: What's the shortest book ever written? "Italian War Heroes". Or even a nation--like, say, Panama--saying that all its people wear too-tight Polo shirts and are mendacious assholes.

This sort of thing is really, really hurtful, and should be nipped in the bud.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » October 16th 2016, 6:48pm

conjurer wrote:

Well said. Another thing that bothers the hell out of me is when we Americans make fun of foreigners--often because of their lack of English--hey, their English is better than my Serbo-Croat!--or sometimes belittling them because of outmoded national stereotypes--such as breaking Italian balls because of their supposed lack of military courage, i.e.: What's the shortest book ever written? "Italian War Heroes". Or even a nation--like, say, Panama--saying that all its people wear too-tight Polo shirts and are mendacious assholes.

Damnit, have the Dems and their sensitivity police gotten' to you, Conjurer? I hear universities have "safe places" for those snowflakes who are easily and constantly offended. ;)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 16th 2016, 7:00pm

biglove wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Damnit, have the Dems and their sensitivity police gotten' to you, Conjurer? I hear universities have "safe places" for those snowflakes who are easily and constantly offended. ;)

Nah. I'm just breaking balls.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » October 17th 2016, 12:48pm

WatchTime claims more than 800 people attended this year's show, and I'm sure that's accurate.

I'm including this link because these are much better photos than I could come up with (next year, I'll bring an actual camera):

http://www.watchtime.com/featured/watch ... ttendance/

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Blogs, Watch Magazines & other sites