The 5th Avenue Stroll In Photos

Give us your best or worst shot

The 5th Avenue Stroll In Photos

Postby TemerityB » July 3rd 2016, 8:38pm

Nobody asked for this and I don't know if there's really any clamor for it, but this is something I've always wanted to do since I joined here, and this morning, I took a little time to actually do it: It's a fired-off photo collage of what I've always called the "5th Avenue Stroll."

I've always considered Manhattan to be the greatest city for watch browsing in the country, if not buying; the choices seem utterly endless. This morning, the missus and myself decided to venture into midtown and the area around 5th Avenue right in the center of town - which includes Madison Avenue and other areas where there are just tons of watch stores and "boutique" company stores. We quickly discovered about 25 places to buy watches within a few block radius, and it only took about a half hour to find them all.

I have to stress that this doesn't nearly include every place in Manhattan to buy a watch; not included (since they're out of the way of the "Stroll") are such stalwarts as Macy's on 34th Street, the chain where people like myself and fog and a few other members here have gotten almost as-good-as gray prices on brand new watches during sales; some boutiques that dot the landscape, such as the somewhat new Shinola store on Franklin Street; quirky mom and pops and sales-repair places such as Time Pieces on Greenwich Ave., the really unique J&P Timepieces on 2nd Avenue; Central Watch at Grand Central Terminal; and, honestly, a bunch of others. What we did here was simply get off a bus at 9 am and a Sunday and took pictures of as many stores in midtown (and a few displays) that we could find. Also much note: Since it was a Sunday, some of the stores didn't open until noon and some were closed entirely since it was Sunday. I really wanted to get some pics of the enjoyable Aaron Faber Gallery, but alas, it simply wasn't open when we were there. I took a shot of the outside but it sucks.

Also not included, but certainly part of the midtown watch experience, are the barkers and kiosks of the Diamond District. Frankly, IMHO, the Diamond District is a giant shark tank and a must to avoid. I don't know if tokker would agree with me, but it's a sordid, joyless experience to look at watches there. Barkers pressure people to "come inside for deals" that don't actually exist; pressure, pressure, pressure to buy; and Frankenwatches and Rolex and Omega models from who-knows-where and sold without manufacturer warranty. The Diamond District isn't all bad - if you actually know someone there, there are deals to be had on jewelry. Yet, with all the watch collectors I personally know, I have yet to hear a person state there's any advantage to the experience at all. Nobody I know ever bought a watch from one of the kiosks.

So, anyway, here goes nothing: Some photos from the stroll, addresses, and some personal experience comments peppered in. I hope someone might enjoy this; since I had so many photos, I'm simply going to present them store by store in order of where we went.

Louis Martin Jewelers, Rockefeller Center

Sells a ton of used ("estate and vintage") watches along with a section of new stuff and a lot of jewelry. I honestly think they have one of the most interesting selection of used watches in NYC, but the shopping experience is not anything I'd recommend - prices are exceptionally high, the high pressure sales tactics used assume that nobody who enters the shop knows the first thing about watches, and a generally high uneasiness factor. However, the storefont front window is always fun to window shop, with a bunch of older Omega and Rolex models most of the time. They also have their own brand of "Louis Martin" quartz watches that look like they belong in a gumball machine, but sell for a "special" price of about $189. Some of the vintage stuff:

Wempe, 700 5th Avenue at 55th Street

Absolutely one of the most enjoyable watch stores in the city. All top brands in one of the most luxurious stores you can imagine; sit down for a spot of tea in an antique chair and try on some of the better Swiss brands. And I don't know who trains the staff, but there's no caste system at Wempe; if you tell a salesperson you're only there to browse, you'll still get treated with respect. Don't expect discounts or sale, but it's a lot of great high end watches under the same roof. Wempe also operates the Rolex boutique right near it; and the store is expanding and about to get a lot bigger. Some displays, followed by the Rolex area:

Tissot Flaghip in its new location, on 5th Avenue - there are two other Tissot stores in NYC as well:

Shockingly, there are occasional sales here; more of a bang for the buck than most company stores.

Ya like brands? All within a few blocks...

Of course, NYC also has multiple Tourneau locations. The main store on 57th Street is a multi-tiered marvel with a huge repair department and more brands you can shake a stick at. Given the state of the industry of late, they're really ramped up pre-owned sales in all their locations of late, and, wonder of wonders, there's usually a sale on something or other going on.

Another location with their Rolex annex:

Other stuff: Well, while I was slumming around, I ran into places that, for varying reasons, I wouldn't recommend (not because they're bad or good, I just don't know anything about them), and one other than needs no explanation:

Hate to admit this, but it was early morning and the Invicta store was really busy. It's in the ass of the Marriott Marquis; and, like all good Times Square clip joints, it's open till Midnight seven days a week (no kidding). I love nudging the help in there; I asked one of the clerks if they sold replacement bracelets and straps, and it almost caused an international incident. Good luck, tourists.

I'll end this with personal recommends, and I have to cop just this next photo from Yelp because morning became lunchtime, and midtown became impassble for foot traffic where I wanted to go since the folks from Mankato were in to see the big bam booms on Monday:

Hour Passion, 34th Street:

A terrible location for a really enjoyable store. Picked up a watch for my wife a while back and all went great. Hour Passion is run by Swatch and the majority of their brands are represented here. It's a nice little place that really crams in a lot of inventory.

Seiko, 510 Madison:

Looks like a closet from the street - but don't miss this one. Inside are all the high-end Seiko models I can't find anywhere else, all the newest models, and yes, tok, even the Credor line. A must, but damn it, the store was closed today when I was there.

My favorite place to buy at retail: Kenjo, West 57th Street:

Personable, friendly staff, awesome Swiss and Seiko, creaky wood floors, used, Omega, Edox (!), everything I like in one place. Yes, sales every so often. Damn, closed today, but here's the exterior.

Tag Heuer, for some reason, no longer has an NYC flagship. And I'm sure I missed something, if not a lot of things, durning the stroll today.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that you literally could spend an entire day browsing watches in midtown NYC and not be able to take it all in. It's a blast, and I hope those who might be interested get a chance to experience it sometime.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: The 5th Avenue Stroll In Photos

Postby svaglic » July 3rd 2016, 8:51pm

That would be amazing, just to walk around and have it all there. What a nice deal you guys have. I would love to walk that street someday.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » July 3rd 2016, 9:00pm

Nice post TB. I would definitely check out the watch stores if I ever make it to the big city.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » July 3rd 2016, 9:04pm

Thanks TB, this was fun. I've never been there but imagine this be an ideal day.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » July 3rd 2016, 9:21pm

Wonderful post, TB. I always hope for posts like this. Thanks for being such a good set of eyes!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » July 3rd 2016, 9:37pm

Great coverage TB. The only thing I would add is the boutiques above 60th on Madison. Really high end sheit, as this is the turf of the uber-rich. Lange, Chopard, Panerai, JLC, Vacheron and FP Journe which has to be my favorite boutique due to the incredible quality of the pieces. Most of these stores have their American business office on the same block and I've had the opportunity to meet several of the North American company presidents. The only store where I found attitude was VC, bottom line you never know who has twenty k to burn in the city.

Another monster store is Cellini in the Waldorf Astoria, they have Greubel Forsey, HYT, Laurent Ferrier and other brands beyond the top shelf. And they will discount that double tourbillon micro-rotor 401k plan for you.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » July 3rd 2016, 9:47pm

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » July 3rd 2016, 9:57pm

Oh, and we forgot to mention the Patek boutique which is on the mezzanine at Tiffany's.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 3rd 2016, 11:16pm

Dang. Fuck.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » July 3rd 2016, 11:59pm

Element in Time on 47th St is da bomb. Huge inventory, some watches with stamped, undated papers, some gray with in-house warranty, or they can call a dealer in another state and you'll get full kit for 30% off whether it's a basic PAM or a Breguet complication. Pay cash and avoid sales tax or just ship out of state. Ask for Gary or Sasha. Here is a review of them and link to their website. They will also take used pieces in good shape as trade fodder.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/buying-watches-in-manhattan-element-in-time/

http://www.elementintime.com
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » July 4th 2016, 12:08am

Thanks TB.
Bookmarked for my next trip to The City.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 4th 2016, 3:47am

I haven't been for 10 years, you got me all nostalgic. I love that Wempe store. Wempe, B and H and the Stage in one day is a tradition. I stayed at a Sheraton on 53rd/7th in the 80's during the good old bad Times Square days with the 3 Card Monte hustlers, hookers, and knock-off schmatas everywhere you looked. I'd get around to Martin, who had an unreal candy store a door down I think, and I always liked Fortunoff. I really like heading to Wash Sq Park. There was a cool place called the Village Tannery that sold hand made leather bags and backpacks and whatnot. Got a messenger bag for school there that I still use everyday. I could really use a visit to NYC, I'm out of Luger's onion salad dressing.- The last bottle I had exploded when I opened it.

The people watching in your pics is almost as good as being there.
I can assure you that when a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." Dr. George Daniels
3Flushes
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » July 4th 2016, 4:30am

Nice T, very nice.....
I remember working weekends and the City been empty at 6/7am, there was nothing like it....I hate the "renovations" and so called "clean up" that transformed Times Square into a fucking tourist trap, going in October and making sure I drink one for you while detouring at Peter Luger
“I ain't tellin' no lie, mine's a tale that can't be told....."

eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby mrneddles » July 4th 2016, 4:42am

Great post! A concrete ocean version of one of Bedlam's excursions.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » July 4th 2016, 4:57am

Well, damn!

The wife and I have discussed taking a trip to NYC as we have sent all three kids there. I am thinking a day of watch browsing might not be her idea of fun.

Thanks for sharing.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » July 4th 2016, 4:59am

Thanks for the tour. That was a good time.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Ofcmark » July 4th 2016, 5:56am

Great photos and back stories, makes me want to visit NYC someday
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby jb182 » July 4th 2016, 8:28am

Haven't been there in a while, but I have a niece in Queens and my daughter lives in CT. A trip in the not so distant future might be a possibility. All that eye candy in walking distance!
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby jb182 » July 4th 2016, 8:31am

One of the locals should post a map with the "must-see" stores highlighted for the uninitiated.
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » July 4th 2016, 8:41am

Beats the Movado Outlet Store down IH-35 from me by a hair or two...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 4th 2016, 9:50am

I'm glad it was enjoyable. As tokker notes, the amazing part is that the photos of the stores are just a fraction of what's available in Manhattan; the overall point is that in midtown, you can't throw a baseball without hitting a watch store.

Just one more reason I love New York. And lunch was at Rue 57, an unpretentious restaurant I'm romantic about, mainly because romance actually happened there for me.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » July 4th 2016, 12:37pm

3Flushes wrote:I haven't been for 10 years, you got me all nostalgic. I love that Wempe store. Wempe, B and H and the Stage in one day is a tradition..

Alas, the Stage is history.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Watch Photography Forum