What's your preference?

Postby AJC » September 2nd 2017, 5:01am

Answer forthwith...
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Re: What's your preference?

Postby foghorn » September 2nd 2017, 5:05am

You left out Invictas short-lived Stracelet.

But I voted anyways.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 2nd 2017, 5:10am

Well, everyone here knows my vote.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » September 2nd 2017, 5:12am

For all the doubters

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 2nd 2017, 6:02am

Jeebus H C on a cracker! That is an abomination and an insult to both straps and bracelets.

Looks like something that you try to win in a state fair booth.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » September 2nd 2017, 7:45am

Holy cow, I can't imagine someone thinking this up. Is it someone's mod or did Invicta really do this?
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 2nd 2017, 7:50am

svaglic wrote:Holy cow, I can't imagine someone thinking this up. Is it someone's mod or did Invicta really do this?

Oh,they did it alright.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » September 2nd 2017, 8:11am

foghorn wrote:For all the doubters

In all serious, that's a legendary Invicter: Legend has it that when you order from the inside window at any Checkers while wearing that watch - regardless of what you ordered - when you look in your bag in the car, you find a free fits sammich that you didn't even ask for. The club has its privileges.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 2nd 2017, 8:48am

One thing you could always rely on Invicter for was coming up with solutions for problems nobody had in the first place. A crappy, uncomfortable strap? A crappy, uncomfortable bracelet? There's a Panamanian Big Thought coming up--let's combine the two, and make it twice as crappy and uncomfortable!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » September 2nd 2017, 9:13am

conjurer wrote:One thing you could always rely on Invicter for was coming up with solutions for problems nobody had in the first place. A crappy, uncomfortable strap? A crappy, uncomfortable bracelet? There's a Panamanian Big Thought coming up--let's combine the two, and make it twice as crappy and uncomfortable!

True pioneers.

:BU
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » September 2nd 2017, 2:24pm

None of the above , depends on the watch...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » September 2nd 2017, 8:38pm

conjurer wrote:One thing you could always rely on Invicter for was coming up with solutions for problems nobody had in the first place. A crappy, uncomfortable strap? A crappy, uncomfortable bracelet? There's a Panamanian Big Thought coming up--let's combine the two, and make it twice as crappy and uncomfortable!

That Invicta looks like a Unitas, http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/watche ... 23916.html

I am not aware of any Eyal-era Invictas using Unitas, I think this was a pre-Eyal Invicta, the true Swiss one before the Panamanian ruined it
PiningforElgin

Postby conjurer » September 2nd 2017, 11:25pm

PiningforElgin wrote:

That Invicta looks like a Unitas, http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/watche ... 23916.html

I am not aware of any Eyal-era Invictas using Unitas, I think this was a pre-Eyal Invicta, the true Swiss one before the Panamanian ruined it

Actually, Invicter used Unitas movements fairly frequently, although not so much now, as ETA movements tends to bump the price up, and we know that Eyal likes to fleece his sheep on the cheap. Even recently, they had up for sale a couple of Russian Chinese divers that used Unitas hand-crankers, albeit for astounding prices, particularly for Invicter.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 3rd 2017, 3:00am

conjurer wrote:Actually, Invicter used Unitas movements fairly frequently

Yup, still unfrequently do ...Eyal used the whole ETA family as a matter of fact, from standard to C.O.S.C Grade....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby AJC » September 3rd 2017, 6:49am

eddiea wrote:...from standard to C.O.S.C Grade....

...from fell off the truck and took 3 tumbles on the road and fell out of the box because of cheap packing tape to Chinese black market knock-offs...

I kid, I kid...
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » September 3rd 2017, 7:24am

Depends on watch and application. I work outside in the heat and rain, so bracelets for work. In the summer, I rarely wear a strap, because sweat.
Overall I prefer a nice leather strap, since I prefer dress watches, but not always.
I give a fuck, so none of the above for me.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 3rd 2017, 3:36pm

The watch and the time of year determines my choice- I avoid straps in the summer.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 3rd 2017, 6:21pm

Flushes and Tz called it right - straps are a no-no when it really gets hot, because skin oils and sweat can really do a number on 'em, particularly exotic ones.

As for my preference? My favorite watch bands in the world are just that - I actually prefer a good rubber, silicone or urethane strap to leather or a bracelet, tho I own plenty of all of them. Rubber just feels best to me, but it's got to be a good quality rubber that actually makes sense for the watch, such as a diver or sport watch. However, my favorite of all time is the Omega Seamaster bracelet circa the Bond era -you feel nothing.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » September 3rd 2017, 6:34pm

Dead Man don't care. Dead Man don't give a shit. That because Dead Man be dead. He wear what he want because he dead, and Dead Folks got no use for live people rules. No sir. Temperature? Don't matter, 'cause Dead Man always the same temperature: ROOM temperature. Sun? Dead Man don't care; Dead man don't give a shit 'cause Dead People don't get no sunburn. Chernobyl? Dead Man don't care; Dead Man don't give a shit. He DEAD... 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 3rd 2017, 7:04pm

I prefer paracord straps because after you read another "If you could only have one watch" thread at WUS you can unravel it and hang yourself.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » September 3rd 2017, 7:13pm

I prefer a bracelet for it's impervious nature and ability to fit more loosely, but appreciate a leather or rubber strap depending on the watch.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » September 3rd 2017, 7:50pm

Mortuus wrote:Dead Man don't care. Dead Man don't give a shit. That because Dead Man be dead. He wear what he want because he dead, and Dead Folks got no use for live people rules. No sir. Temperature? Don't matter, 'cause Dead Man always the same temperature: ROOM temperature. Sun? Dead Man don't care; Dead man don't give a shit 'cause Dead People don't get no sunburn. Chernobyl? Dead Man don't care; Dead Man don't give a shit. He DEAD... 8-)

M-O-O-N. That spells dead!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 3rd 2017, 7:50pm

foghorn wrote:I prefer paracord straps because after you read another "If you could only have one watch" thread at WUS you can unravel it and hang yourself.

TMMLFH.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 3rd 2017, 8:27pm

TemerityB wrote:Flushes and Tz called it right - straps are a no-no when it really gets hot, because skin oils and sweat can really do a number on 'em, particularly exotic ones.

As for my preference? My favorite watch bands in the world are just that - I actually prefer a good rubber, silicone or urethane strap to leather or a bracelet, tho I own plenty of all of them. Rubber just feels best to me, but it's got to be a good quality rubber that actually makes sense for the watch, such as a diver or sport watch. However, my favorite of all time is the Omega Seamaster bracelet circa the Bond era -you feel nothing.

Perfectly said. Quite possibly the most comfortable watches ever made.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Watch Straps