Alligator Leather: A Painful Luxury!

Straps, bracelets and parts

Alligator Leather: A Painful Luxury!

Postby koimaster » April 4th 2017, 9:33am

Alligator leather is an amazing product. Its unique, almost prehistoric texture seems to have a natural draw to it. Especially in certain brown tones, alligator leather tends to age beautifully, developing rich tones that give the product not only the depth of color, but also an esteemed sense of luxury. There is nothing like an alligator strap, on your Haute Horlogerie watch, a preference that is shared with the vast majority of consumers all over the world. In fact many of them, just like us, also like shoes, bags, wallets and other accessories made from this material.

http://www.georgecramer.com/uncategoriz ... ul-luxury/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Alligator Leather: A Painful Luxury!

Postby TemerityB » April 4th 2017, 9:39am

Good God almighty.

I have an array of exotic straps. You know, people never think of how these things come to pass - we eat the meat, we wear the belt or the shoes, we never give it a moment's thought.

As a devout animal lover who raises money for shelters and dotes after my own pets, who stopped going to racetracks and other businesses that abused animals ... I'm such a fucking hypocrite.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » April 4th 2017, 10:18am

Oh, I don't know. People think about it from time to time. Or to pluck an observation from the article:

With the previous incidents, luxury groups like Richemont and Swatch Group responded swiftly by sending full audit teams to the farms that, often indirectly, supply them. These audits revealed nothing out of the ordinary. Although the exposed cases by PETA, may be isolated incidents, every single one, is one too many.

Finding and exposing isolated instances is PETA's mission statement after all and they do a yeoman job of it. But if Newkirk had her way such things would be prioritized ahead of disease prevention, education, addressing human trafficking involving labor and sex slavery including children and a host of other issues. You can only address how you personally prioritize issues and spend your money more or less consistently with your beliefs.

Right now the zeitgeist suggests that auditing for humane practices is sufficient for most. Trophy hunting remains legal but is socially censured in a manner unknown in the middle part of the 20th century, dog tracks routinely adopt out rather than engage in a more permanent "retirement". Cock and dog fights are generally illegal, bull fighting is fading away.

We've come a long way since cats were burned for entertainment in pre-19th century France.

As one who dotes after your own pets you should know that PETA doesn't have a very high opinion of your practices either:
This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Many of us think that's a little too extreme. But who knows? It might be normal in the future but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy a future with no companion dog. As a consequence I don't generally let PETA guilt me into remorse and if my dog could talk I think he'd give old Ingrid a piece of his mind.

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 4th 2017, 11:04am

Don't bother me a bit. I just don't think about it. I think I might pick up some veal for dinner tonight.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » April 4th 2017, 11:39am

conjurer wrote:Don't bother me a bit. I just don't think about it. I think I might pick up some veal for dinner tonight.

Or maybe a catserrole

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Falstaff » April 4th 2017, 11:50am

...and alligator wears like iron. I've been carrying the same Coach alligator wallet for over 20 years and other than some scuffs it still maintains its finish and structural integrity. As a matter of fact, now that it has gained patina, it looks better than when brand new. I get more compliments on that damn wallet than any watch I've ever worn. Best wallet I've ever owned.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 4th 2017, 11:59am

Hawk wrote:Oh, I don't know. People think about it from time to time. Or to pluck an observation from the article:

With the previous incidents, luxury groups like Richemont and Swatch Group responded swiftly by sending full audit teams to the farms that, often indirectly, supply them. These audits revealed nothing out of the ordinary. Although the exposed cases by PETA, may be isolated incidents, every single one, is one too many.

Finding and exposing isolated instances is PETA's mission statement after all and they do a yeoman job of it. But if Newkirk had her way such things would be prioritized ahead of disease prevention, education, addressing human trafficking involving labor and sex slavery including children and a host of other issues. You can only address how you personally prioritize issues and spend your money more or less consistently with your beliefs.

Right now the zeitgeist suggests that auditing for humane practices is sufficient for most. Trophy hunting remains legal but is socially censured in a manner unknown in the middle part of the 20th century, dog tracks routinely adopt out rather than engage in a more permanent "retirement". Cock and dog fights are generally illegal, bull fighting is fading away.

We've come a long way since cats were burned for entertainment in pre-19th century France.

As one who dotes after your own pets you should know that PETA doesn't have a very high opinion of your practices either:
This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Many of us think that's a little too extreme. But who knows? It might be normal in the future but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy a future with no companion dog. As a consequence I don't generally let PETA guilt me into remorse and if my dog could talk I think he'd give old Ingrid a piece of his mind.

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning

Great response.

I am the biggest animal nut ever, but you know what? I think PITA is WAY too extreme.

My 15-year-old dog was walked four or five times a day; she got the best food we could find and that she would eat (I always said she at healthier than we did); frequent trips, several times a week, to run and play in the park; regular medical care and grooming; a favorite, comfortable place to sleep and eat; playtime every day; all the love and adoration that two human beings could bestow upon another living creature; and when we learned in her final year that she had a melanoma, all that stuff plus more. I know this animal was happy.

If that's not enough for PITA, they can kiss my ass.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » April 4th 2017, 12:02pm

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:Don't bother me a bit. I just don't think about it. I think I might pick up some veal for dinner tonight.

Or maybe a catserrole

I'm pretty sure that's a meatloaf, Flogheim... http://s291.photobucket.com/user/benchi ... .jpg.html#!
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 4th 2017, 12:03pm

foghorn wrote:

Or maybe a catserrole

It looks like Murphy! If that's the case, there'll be plenty for leftovers.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 4th 2017, 1:45pm

My only problem with alligator straps is that I don't have one.

This reminds me of a certain story... I had an acquainted taxi driver- a loquacious bloke, he'd just never stop talking. The bloke was from the countryside; his father had a farm, they kept pigs and cattle for - you guessed it - meat. And he did devote a part of the otherwise uninteresting story to the issue of slaughtering the livestock. "You know", he said, "I never had a problem killing a pig or a cow. But if father would have seen me or my brother screwing that up and letting the animal suffer, boy, would we be in fucking trouble." The more distant part of my family owns a farm as well- and they share pretty much the same views in that respect.

That said, killing for meat or leather/fur is one thing, cruelty is another. The practices in that alligator farm are simply wrong- but if they managed to kill them properly, I wouldn't mind.

Regarding PETA, I consider them fanatics, made even more vicious by their diet of shrubberies. "Selfish desire to possess animals..." Guilt-tripping pillocks. And they really do sound off the fucking trolley with the part, that dogs' strongest desire is to be free. Dogs' strongest desire is to be a part of a pack, as they're pack animals. Guess me dear pooch Angus, a Bernese, agrees. Cats? Cats walk their own paths anyway. It's a good question, if it is the human who owns the cat, or does the cat own the human.

Returning to some of the "animal rights defenders", it reminds me of another story, when something like a year ago, some of these self-appointed crusaders stormed into a restaurant to "save" a 100-year-old lobster (yes, lobsters have a considerable life expectancy), a "mascot" of the restaurant. Needless to say, that as a result of the chevauchee of the animal justice warriors, poor Larry (that's how the Spongebob-watching, shrubbery-eating crusaders named it) kicked the bucket.

"Animals are not ours to eat..." Oh, fuck off. Yes, they are. If a lion eats a zebra, it's nature, but if I eat a steak, it's murder? You know what? I'm going to put on my favourite leather jacket (pigskin), wearing my Eterna on a calfskin strap, go to the grocery store to get some soy sauce and ginger, and marinate that Chinese/Asian-style pork for tomorrow. Cooked it once, and it was delicious. Could use more lemon, though, it missed that sour note the last time. PETA might go on about pigs being intelligent, and all that stuff. I may not be well-versed in the subtleties of the nature of pigs, but what I know, is that they taste good. So do wild boars, cows (especially with a glass of Lagrein or Cabernet Sauvignon), goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese, pheasants...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » April 4th 2017, 2:43pm

Most people don't have an issue with utilising animals as a resource but it should always be done humanely, without cruelty. Those who harm animals unnecessarily are scum.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » April 4th 2017, 2:49pm

I like exotics, it's a great way to change up the personality of a watch.

The best gator I own is an OEM from Bell & Ross from around 1998 and I have gotten gator from some high end strap makers: Jean Rousseau, ABP, Aaron Bespoke.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 4th 2017, 2:49pm

i Lyke PETA jensen. she's Has gott nyce dairies GODAM it.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » April 4th 2017, 3:00pm

Yes, PETA goes over the top- sometimes way over - but their overboard tactics do serve to keep animal cruelty issues in the public eye. If that creates controversy, discussion and debate, then they're accomplishing their mission. That's why I support them - and have for years. As with any organization I belong to, such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Greenpeace, the NRA and the ACLU, I don't feel as though I have to subscribe to the totality of any organization's manifesto.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » April 4th 2017, 3:36pm

conjurer wrote:
foghorn wrote:

Or maybe a catserrole

Cats is good eatin'.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 4th 2017, 3:44pm

jason_recliner wrote:Most people don't have an issue with utilising animals as a resource but it should always be done humanely, without cruelty. Those who harm animals unnecessarily are scum.

Well said-

No reason they have to be sadistic about it and skin them alive in order to slaughter them without damaging hides.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » April 4th 2017, 4:14pm

I always make sure the hides are humanely harvested as possible but I'm happy to report my next exotic strap is made from fish hide. Sturgeon straps from ABP.

Last edited by tiktok on April 4th 2017, 6:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » April 4th 2017, 4:14pm

conjurer wrote:i Lyke PETA jensen. she's Has gott nyce dairies GODAM it.

Speaking of dairies, stay away from that racist white milk.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 6398,d.cGc
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 4th 2017, 4:51pm

"Milk is for Nazis." By Jove. I mean, usually people commit a reductio ad Hitlerum, when they're out of arguments, but here, I don't think PETA really had any- because they started it with a reductio ad Hitlerum.

So they're complaining, that alligators are being fed other alligators? I've got the simplest, yet most brilliant idea: feed them with PETAlibans. That'd be good for the gators and the world alike.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 4th 2017, 6:50pm

So, I went ahead and bought some very fine veal cutlets at my local Safeway, and made 'em into motherfucking wienerschnitzel (recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/78117/wienerschnitzel/).

Interestingly, the karma of buying dead baby cowsters immediately caught up with me. I stopped at the deli counter to get some cheese (to make a quick mac and cheese as a side dish) and had the misfortune of being served by the Oldest Deli Counter Person In Captivity, an ancient, doddering Cuban woman who was probably pretty hot back when Fulgencio Batista was wearing gold braid. I waited for her to shuffle over (I was first in line) and take my order--a 4 oz. piece of American cheese and a 4 oz. piece of medium cheddar. I had to repeat myself several times, and pantomime 4 oz. piece of cheese like I was bartering for a carpet in the fucking souk. Finally she got it, then went to the slicer, took a couple of minutes to adjust the blade, then shuffled off, looking for a plastic bag to put it into. An elderly couple stopped by, and waited more patiently than me; a white-trash People of Walmart woman, her snivelling toddler with her, was less patient than I. "I don't have time to wait for this!" she snarled, turning on the heel of her UGG. "Fuck this fucking shit!"

Finally Carmen Miranda finished getting my cheese, and I went to the checkout line, slightly slower than every doddering pensioner in Federal fucking Way. I got in the shortest line and waited longer in it than my last visit to the DMV. Finally, freed of the store, I had to deal with absurdly heavy traffic, and finally got stuck behind a fucking bus on what should have been the fast part of the drive home, and the bus stopped every fifteen feet, letting off a bunch of fucking spastics differently-abled people each time, and taking a long fucking time to do it.

But, the wienerschnitzel was really fucking good.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » April 4th 2017, 7:30pm

conjurer wrote:So, I went ahead and bought some very fine veal cutlets at my local Safeway, and made 'em into motherfucking wienerschnitzel (recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/78117/wienerschnitzel/).

Interestingly, the karma of buying dead baby cowsters immediately caught up with me. I stopped at the deli counter to get some cheese (to make a quick mac and cheese as a side dish) and had the misfortune of being served by the Oldest Deli Counter Person In Captivity, an ancient, doddering Cuban woman who was probably pretty hot back when Fulgencio Batista was wearing gold braid. I waited for her to shuffle over (I was first in line) and take my order--a 4 oz. piece of American cheese and a 4 oz. piece of medium cheddar. I had to repeat myself several times, and pantomime 4 oz. piece of cheese like I was bartering for a carpet in the fucking souk. Finally she got it, then went to the slicer, took a couple of minutes to adjust the blade, then shuffled off, looking for a plastic bag to put it into. An elderly couple stopped by, and waited more patiently than me; a white-trash People of Walmart woman, her snivelling toddler with her, was less patient than I. "I don't have time to wait for this!" she snarled, turning on the heel of her UGG. "Fuck this fucking shit!"

Finally Carmen Miranda finished getting my cheese, and I went to the checkout line, slightly slower than every doddering pensioner in Federal fucking Way. I got in the shortest line and waited longer in it than my last visit to the DMV. Finally, freed of the store, I had to deal with absurdly heavy traffic, and finally got stuck behind a fucking bus on what should have been the fast part of the drive home, and the bus stopped every fifteen feet, letting off a bunch of fucking spastics differently-abled people each time, and taking a long fucking time to do it.

But, the wienerschnitzel was really fucking good.

Hehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » April 4th 2017, 7:50pm

Tzimisces wrote:
conjurer wrote:
foghorn wrote:

Or maybe a catserrole

Cats is good eatin'.

Cat, the other white meat.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » April 4th 2017, 8:33pm

:x goddamit!

Today I received​ two absolutely beautiful bespoke alligator straps from Camille Fournet that hopefully were donated by an alligator after he died of old age.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » April 4th 2017, 9:08pm

The size of the squares will tell you the age of the gator. Kind of like rings on a tree.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » April 5th 2017, 4:47am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote: they taste good. So do wild boars

Yep, got me two in the freezer (and they didn't know what hit them) :D

codguy
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Watch Straps