Pilot strap advice

Straps, bracelets and parts

Pilot strap advice

Postby svaglic » November 19th 2015, 9:35am

I saw these on ebay for a good price, the problem is, they are 8" and 9.5". With my 6 3/4" wrist, there would be too much left over and look bad. I emailed the seller and they don't make them any shorter.
They leave the rivets open because people may want to put them on closed lug watches.
My question is, can I take them to a leather shop and have them shortened? I was thinking It would work that way and new rivet holes could be punched. It will need some restitching on the ends too.
Is this a bad idea and I am way off base? I like the looks of these more than other pilot straps I have seen, but just can't deal with the length. They are $29.00, is it worth a try? Has anyone ever had a strap shortened before and does it work out well?

The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Pilot strap advice

Postby Falstaff » November 19th 2015, 9:55am

I have never had this specific modification done but I have had various repairs, mainly restitching and relining, successfully performed by my shoe repair guy. Can't imagine your job being a problem for a pro - although you'll likely have as many $ in the mod as you paid for the strap.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » November 19th 2015, 10:04am

For it being $29.00, I figure I can live with 30-50 in mods. I want a dark brown for my Rundenmeister and a black for my 63 reissue. For some reason, this is the strap I keep coming back to. I like the vintage look and the mix of brass and stainless.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 19th 2015, 10:09am

Falsy's right, a good shoemaker/leather-apparel maker could probably do it for you. I don't think it would be super-expensive.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby kevco » November 19th 2015, 11:39am

conjurer wrote:Falsy's right, a good shoemaker/leather-apparel maker could probably do it for you. I don't think it would be super-expensive.

Just what these cats have said. Take it to a shoe shop. They can usually easily repair smaller sized leather items.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » November 19th 2015, 11:47am

Thanks guys.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » November 19th 2015, 5:27pm

If you don't have any old school cobblers in your area try anyone who repairs saddles, they would have the right tools to do the job.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » November 19th 2015, 5:36pm

I agree, should be a pretty simple job for a leather-worker. I have a local guy who has fixed up a few things but not a watch strap.

Maybe Andrea at Martu could make what you want?
http://www.martuleather.com/contact.html
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » November 19th 2015, 6:14pm

Racer-X wrote:I agree, should be a pretty simple job for a leather-worker. I have a local guy who has fixed up a few things but not a watch strap.

Maybe Andrea at Martu could make what you want?
http://www.martuleather.com/contact.html

I'll be putting an order with her next month, but I haven't seen any rivet pilot bands in her stuff so I didn't ask. She will be making me about 4-5 though. I have been on a bracelet/band buying spree this last month. By next month I should have everything updated as I want it, then just pick and choose what I want as I need.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Watch Straps