Sumo Bracelet Options

Straps, bracelets and parts

Sumo Bracelet Options

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 2:57pm

As some of you know I started a new company in the early part of 2014. I chose to defer my income until we were fully established.
Today I received final confirmation of a significant State PR for 2015-2016 so I will be celebrating by depositing my first paycheck (about six months ahead of ahead of schedule).

I want to reward myself with a new watch but still need to be reserved. Have decided it will be a black Sumo but I want to be prepared for the bracelet to be a disappointment.

Am looking for your input and suggestions for something that wears well and is a good fit (I hate misfitting end-links). I have an Anvil on my Yobokies Albacore and generally like Harold's stuff so that may be an option. What would the Lords recommend?

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Re: Sumo Bracelet Options

Postby conjurer » March 17th 2015, 3:09pm

Good for you, HF! Congrats at your successful business start.

In terms of the bracelet for the Sumo, I'd honestly go with the OEM supplied one. The Sumo, as I recall, has the springbar holes cut into the lugs pretty far from the case, making just about everything aftermarket (including straps) look goofy. The bracelet on the Sumo is OK, in my opinion, although the clasp is pretty much the same as on the Monster. I'd try it with the supplied bracelet first, see if it's to your liking, and worry about a replacement later.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » March 17th 2015, 3:12pm

conjurer wrote:Good for you, HF! Congrats at your successful business start.

Plus two !! :Beerbang:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby robatsu » March 17th 2015, 3:25pm

One possibility is to get a Yobokies beads of rice, IMO these look terrific on the Sumo and Harold makes them with ends for the Sumo.

One think you might ask him to do is to fit the 20mm end on a 22mm bracelet (which also tapers to a 20mm clasp). That would have the benefit of a slightly wider bracelet if you are among those who think a 20mm bracelet at the lugs is a little unbalanced for the Sumo.

Harold has done something like this for this bracelet for me, putting 20mm straight ends on a 22mm one.

The only possible downside is the models with fitted ends have folded end-links if you are among those for whom this has become a bright line issue.

Choices I would make after that would be strapcode Jubilee if available for Sumo, then endmill/Presidential, if available for sumo.

Disclaimer: I've never owned the Sumo, these are just impressions I've formed from reading/seeing the watch.
Last edited by robatsu on March 17th 2015, 6:06pm, edited 3 times in total.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » March 17th 2015, 4:34pm

Congratulations Mr Feathers! I don't mind the Sumo bracelet, it's acceptable, I prefer it to the aftermarket jobbies with FELs. If the bracelet really bothers you, the Sumo looks superb on MM300 or BC rubber.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » March 17th 2015, 4:59pm

Yobokies anvil or BOR. SEIKO super engineer.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » March 17th 2015, 5:17pm

i agree on the BOR and congratulations
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » March 17th 2015, 5:25pm

Like conj, I keep going back to the OEM after trying the BOR, and StrapCode EndMill (after seeing it on Eddie's Sumo). Looks nice but not as comfortable as the OEM. BOR is just ok to me - for a different look. Congrats!
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby SaoGage » March 17th 2015, 5:33pm

Congratulations!

I may be in the minority, but I always thought the stock Sumo bracelet was excellent.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 7:49pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the feedback.

Sounds like the consensus says at least try the stock bracelet so that's the direction I'll go.

For this watch I want to stick with a bracelet and for some reason I just don't like the look of the BOR.
Spent the evening exploring a few options and found this super oyster style replacement from wjean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131450122590?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby jason_recliner » March 17th 2015, 8:16pm

Mate, that looks excellent. I haven't seen an aftermarket option with SELs before.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby robatsu » March 17th 2015, 8:19pm

jason_recliner wrote:Mate, that looks excellent. I haven't seen an aftermarket option with SELs before.

Strapcode seems to carry several of their bracelets w/SEL for Sumo, if i recall.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 8:27pm

robatsu wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:Mate, that looks excellent. I haven't seen an aftermarket option with SELs before.

Strapcode seems to carry several of their bracelets w/SEL for Sumo, if i recall.

Yup, looking at this one as well per your earlier suggestion, the Endmill [SS201803B030]

http://www.strapcode.com/store/20mm-endmill-watch-band-seiko-sumo-sbdc001-sbdc003-sbdc005-brushed-p-2698.html#.VQjwIBDF8Yf

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby jaw » March 17th 2015, 10:12pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
robatsu wrote:

Yup, looking at this one as well per your earlier suggestion, the Endmill [SS201803B030]

http://www.strapcode.com/store/20mm-endmill-watch-band-seiko-sumo-sbdc001-sbdc003-sbdc005-brushed-p-2698.html#.VQjwIBDF8Yf

I have The Endmill and I wouldn't if I were you. Beefy jubilee looks good and adds weight, but hard finished edges and hair pulling make it undesirable. I wish I'd seen the oysteresque ebay link above.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 17th 2015, 10:56pm

jaw wrote:
Horse Feathers wrote:
robatsu wrote:

I have The Endmill and I wouldn't if I were you. Beefy jubilee looks good and adds weight, but hard finished edges and hair pulling make it undesirable. I wish I'd seen the oysteresque ebay link above.

Thanks Jaw, appreciate sharing your personal experiences. Will mark that one off the list

Strapcode has an oyster version as well as the wjean shown in the eBay link. These are avail from Amazon as well (Sold by Strapcode and fulfilled through Amazon)

http://www.strapcode.com/store/20mm-sup ... QkREhDF8Yc

Imo the Oyster fits the style of the watch better. I like the Engineer but it so commonly used with micro-brands that in my head it makes it look less Seikoish.

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 18th 2015, 5:37am

An interesting point about Seiko's bracelets--they generally work and fit far better than common WISdom thinks they have any right to. While the Sumo, with it's generic clasp and, by many accounts, too-narrow bracelet for the watch head, has put off many owners, the bracelet works and, within reason, is pretty comfy, although I had to wear mine pretty snug to keep the large watch head from spinning on my wrist.

Another example is the Jubilee bracelet on the 007/009--it is horrifyingly cheap and reminds one of a very inexpensive fashion watch one would find on a table in the aisle of Walmart, threatening the arm hair on one's wrist like a mini-Weedeater. And yet, surprisingly, it works pretty well.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Watch Straps