Small Parts Plating - Questions?

Straps, bracelets and parts

Small Parts Plating - Questions?

Postby robatsu » March 1st 2015, 9:17am

I'm working on a little project that is getting into some things I know nothing about. So I have some questions.

First, the project. Yobokies makes a really nice beads of rice bracelet, both in straight ends and curved ends for various models. He did a short run of these in two-tone with curved ends to fit Seiko SKZ011. However, I'd like to put one on a different watch using straight ends.

So I had him ship me the mono-tone straight ends along with the two-tone bracelet. It is easy to swap these out, but I want to get the bead molded part of the straight ends plated to match the two-tone of the rest of the bracelet. So my questions are:

1) Any recommendations for someone to do this? I suppose I could find somebody local here in Osaka, but it may be just as easy to ship it off to a know/recommended craftsman.

2) How much does something like this cost?

3) Typical turnaround time?

4) Am I going to need to ship the bracelet as well for a good color match?

Thanks for any help/hints. Here are the parts in question:

robatsu
Master of Time

Re: Small Parts Plating - Questions?

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2015, 11:11am

Such a mod is possible, but it could easily cost upwards of $3.7 million.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » March 2nd 2015, 12:42am

That should be a fairly easy thing to accomplish locally. Unless the end links come apart (I know the guy uses individual beads on the bracelets, but they look soldered in on the end-links), I would just have the entire link electroplated, and then have the plating polished off of everything but the beads. If the links come apart or the beads can be removed easily, it should be a very simple job. Any number of jewelers should be able to accomplish this in house for you; the process is simple and most jewelers have the equipment. A company that does a deposit process like PVD might be able to mask it off, but they are generally large scale operations.

As far as the color goes, most companies that make plated two-tone bracelets, cases and whatnot shoot for an 18K'ish color, ask the jeweler what he thinks the bracelet looks like. Yab. have any suggestions, maybe custom order a pair of two tone links from his guy or perhaps get you some plated beads?
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby robatsu » March 2nd 2015, 12:44am

conjurer wrote:Such a mod is possible, but it could easily cost upwards of $3.7 million.

Rats, over budget.

But actually, I was thinking the Beads of Rice, even in two tone, might be a bit too tasteful and refined, so its the two-tone Presidential for "Operation Guido". Nothing like a big, honking, two tone diver to accessorize that incipient beer gut and well faded USMC tattoo. Unfortunately, no wife-beaters in the underwear drawer to perfect the look. One of these days, I swear I'm gonna pop for that blue and gold Rolex Submariner, but until that happy day, this Orient Star WZ00261FD is just going to have to do:

Believe me, most of the time, I couldn't stand out more here in Japan if I wore a clown nose.
Last edited by robatsu on March 2nd 2015, 3:20am, edited 2 times in total.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » March 2nd 2015, 12:51am

robatsu wrote:
conjurer wrote:Image

Or, uhh, you cou just use that ^^^ one. :)
Last edited by 3Flushes on March 2nd 2015, 12:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby robatsu » March 2nd 2015, 12:51am

3Flushes wrote:That should be a fairly easy thing to accomplish locally. Unless the end links come apart (I know the guy uses individual beads on the bracelets, but they look soldered in on the end-links), I would just have the entire link electroplated, and then have the plating polished off of everything but the beads. If the links come apart or the beads can be removed easily, it should be a very simple job. Any number of jewelers should be able to accomplish this in house for you; the process is simple and most jewelers have the equipment. A company that does a deposit process like PVD might be able to mask it off, but they are generally large scale operations.

As far as the color goes, most companies that make plated two-tone bracelets, cases and whatnot shoot for an 18K'ish color, ask the jeweler what he thinks the bracelet looks like. Yab. have any suggestions, maybe custom order a pair of two tone links from his guy or perhaps get you some plated beads?

Two tone straight links not available from OEM, which is why I got monotone ones. The provided straight end - the beads are integral on this piece - will fit right in where a split pin disconnects the curved end, so no problem there. Maybe I'll walk it around a few local jewelers, you run into a lot of pretty high artisanal skills on the ground here in Japan, so maybe that might be easy. It is a nicer bracelet than the Presidential, which is so-so on the quality level, nice but not quite commensurate with the Orient Star head. If not, I'll just save it for the SKX011 I've been meaning to acquire since, well, forever or sell it on a forum.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice.
robatsu
Master of Time

Return to Watch Straps