Never thought I'd see this

Straps, bracelets and parts

Never thought I'd see this

Postby abduksion » August 19th 2014, 10:27pm

I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Re: Never thought I'd see this

Postby Hawk » August 20th 2014, 5:11am

Yeah but for USD 5,000.00 I could hire some babe part time to wind my watches and function as an appointment secretary.

Of course for the frugal Orbita offers a single watch winder for a mere 3,000.00

Ingenious but I suspect a limited market.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » August 20th 2014, 6:15am

Have never understood winders.

For those too lazy to wind/set a watch? And the cost of even cheap ones is just stupid for what they do.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » August 20th 2014, 7:05am

Well, I could picture a 3,000.00 winder being just the ticket if I bought (and actually wore) some Patek - Lange joint venture sun, moon, perpetual calendar, flyback, 8,000 piece thing that requires a specially trained mechanic and 350 page manual to set if it's allowed to run down.

I mean if you fuck up one of the several quick set functions you'll find yourself on the right day and date but you'll be a month off and the moon phase / tidal indicator will be off by 6 days and you'll have lost track totally of the greater moons of Jupiter and Saturn and your privately funded Mars explorer will miss the launch window by at least a couple of days. Worst of all, the date and day will advance at noon rather than midnight.

So I'll concede that a 3,000.00 winder might make good solid sense for someone with a 3,000,000.00 mechanical watch it just doesn't fit in with my needs to keep one of those damn Seiko Kinetics from taking a dirt nap.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » August 20th 2014, 9:47am

It's like an Accu-Jack for watches!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Don Barzini » August 20th 2014, 9:44pm

I like winders...for automatic watches...and not for Orbita prices. The real cheap shit on Amazon is a waste of money and won't last even a few months. But Wolf makes excellent winders and I have an 8 and 3 watch winder. The 8 watch was about $1800 after discount and also displays the watches when taken out of the safe. At the time I placed about $60,000 in watches in it, so it hardly seemed frivolous or extravagant. It still doesn't even with only about $20,000 riding in it. Each rotor is fully programmable with its own LCD display in 50 TPD increments from 500-1200 TPD (as I recall) and CW/CCW. Besides, watches run better when they continue to run.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » August 21st 2014, 1:43am

I put 800 into 16 boxy cubes. I like them because they are individual cubes that stack. If one goes bad, I can grab another for 50 and replace the bad cube and not have a machine that has one dead winder wasting space. They are not noisy and I only use them about 2hrs a day. Ugly, but cheap and good. When I am out of town, my brother or nephew turn on the power strip for me and run them for a few then turn it off. No biggie if they forget and leave it on. I like the Orbita and Wolf, but my collection hardly justifies me paying those prices.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » August 21st 2014, 2:15am

I prefer to let my mechanisms rest when they're not working. They've earned it.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » August 21st 2014, 2:28am

conjurer wrote:It's like an Accu-Jack for watches!!

Only YOU would think of such a thing, you dirty old phuque... :twisted:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » August 21st 2014, 4:50am

I had to look it up.

That which has been seen cannot be unseen.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » August 21st 2014, 6:30am

Hawk wrote:

I had to look it up.

That which has been seen cannot be unseen.

Here's a USED one for sale. A steal at $800 cheaper than the Orbita winder.

http://www.kitmondo.com/jorgensen-accujack/ref495075
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 21st 2014, 10:59am

I dunno; I thought that was a rather cool looking piece of machinery.

Would I want one? Nahh; happy with my Swiss Legend red box I got for like literally $19 a while back, and at that, I always forget to use it.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Watch Straps