Anyone purchase a Strapcode bracelet? (& Sumo alternatives)

Straps, bracelets and parts

Anyone purchase a Strapcode bracelet? (& Sumo alternatives)

Postby jonnybardo » March 6th 2014, 9:02pm

I'm looking at this one for my Sumo:

http://www.amazon.com/Endmill-Sbdc001-Sbdc003-Sbdc005-Brushed/dp/B00FQ7OOCM/

I've never been happy with the Sumo bracelet, particularly the clasp. I've thought of getting a Marine Master clasp, but have a hard time spending a Ben Franklin on a clasp. I'm not crazy about the Yobokies bracelets - Hammer, Anvil, Beads of Rice - at least for the Sumo. This one is decent, but not sure of the quality.

Any other Sumo alternative bracelets out there? I saw one online some months ago that I really liked but after many internet searches can't find it. It was a Russian company, I think.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Anyone purchase a Strapcode bracelet? (& Sumo alternativ

Postby conjurer » March 6th 2014, 11:49pm

Jonny, buying a Sumo is an act of surrendering to the Japanese code of bullshitshido. There are many out there who will diss the Sumo, for its lack of a sapphire crystal, or its too-large case, but most especially its somewhat dinky bracelet and Orange Monster clasp. Some guys, particularly Australian communists, dislike the bezel font.

I myself like to concentrate on the elegant lines of the case, like a Katana ready to slice through three convict bodies. Or the superb finishing that would make a Swiss case-maker--assuming there are any left--choke on his tomato soup. Or the Very Readable Bezel Font that makes one appreciate Capitalism. The Sumo is what it is, and adding anything aftermarket will make it less than a Sumo. For all the shit thrown at the Sumo from the different fora over the years, the suits at Seiko will grin, bow, nod, and not change a fucking thing. The bestest thing to do is to surrender to the Code and wear your Sumo and pick up a lot of loose broads.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Jamesbee » March 7th 2014, 12:16am

Mesh? Strapcode have some very good ones, and excellent clasps as well.

As much as I like the Sumo, despite it's undeniable and oft proven political associations, I wish it was a few mm smaller.
Decyded to Put down battal of The somme wead killar - Conjurer
Jamesbee
Watchlord WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 7th 2014, 12:49am

conjurer wrote:Jonny, buying a Sumo is an act of surrendering to the Japanese code of bullshitshido. There are many out there who will diss the Sumo, for its lack of a sapphire crystal, or its too-large case, but most especially its somewhat dinky bracelet and Orange Monster clasp. Some guys, particularly Australian communists, dislike the bezel font.

I myself like to concentrate on the elegant lines of the case, like a Katana ready to slice through three convict bodies. Or the superb finishing that would make a Swiss case-maker--assuming there are any left--choke on his tomato soup. Or the Very Readable Bezel Font that makes one appreciate Capitalism. The Sumo is what it is, and adding anything aftermarket will make it less than a Sumo. For all the shit thrown at the Sumo from the different fora over the years, the suits at Seiko will grin, bow, nod, and not change a fucking thing. The bestest thing to do is to surrender to the Code and wear your Sumo and pick up a lot of loose broads.

This may the best post I've yet read on this site. Clever without being pretentous, humorous without relying upon shock value, critical would being assaholic - just damn good all around. Well done.

But you make a good point, which is partially why I've hesitated in the year I've owned a Sumo, even thought of buying second, the more effeminate "Blumo." At the least, though, it might be enjoyable to have an extra bracelet to throw on the thing, especially as an in-between purchase as I rev up for my next big fish. In other words, buying a new bracelet might satisfy the urge to buy, yet without spending too much as I sell one of my daughter's kidneys to fund an Omega Seamaster.

So maybe I will spend the Ben Franklin to get that Marine Master clasp, as it seems like the single modification that will both improve the watch without reducing its Sumosity.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby phephner » March 7th 2014, 1:28pm

Yobokies anvil bracelet with his custom solid Sumo endlinks are pretty nice?

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/yoboki ... sort=3&o=7
phephner
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 7th 2014, 1:36pm

phephner wrote:Yobokies anvil bracelet with his custom solid Sumo endlinks are pretty nice?

Thanks. I did say in the original post that i wasn't crazy about the Yobokies bracelets, which to me don't quite suit the Sumo (except for the Beads of Rice). The Anvil and Hammer are too toolish, in my opinion; I'd like something more elegant, like an Omega Seamaster bracelet, or the one on the older Orient Saturation Diver.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jason_recliner » March 7th 2014, 2:26pm

phephner wrote:Yobokies anvil bracelet with his custom solid Sumo endlinks are pretty nice?

The endlinks are folded - that in itself is a dealbreaker for me. IMO none of the alternatives look as good as the original (which actually looks decent in real life, while a bit shitty in interweb macros).
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby phephner » March 10th 2014, 9:28am

jason_recliner wrote:

The endlinks are folded - that in itself is a dealbreaker for me. IMO none of the alternatives look as good as the original (which actually looks decent in real life, while a bit shitty in interweb macros).

Upon actual inspection I see you are correct and I apologize. That's what I get for relying on my aging memory rather than actually looking at my Sumo before replying.
phephner
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Watch Straps