The new DD Speedway is here, go get em

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Re: The new DD Speedway is here, go get em

Postby iwasbanned » February 13th 2011, 4:57pm

jaw wrote:
Watchnublet wrote:
Datsun240Z71 wrote:Watched a few minutes of Daniel Green and Davis' presentation.

In a period of about two minutes, Davis wowed the audience with his complete collection of cliches:
"timepiece"
"bonded at the molecular level" (referring to the IP plating)
"dimly lit environment" (referring to the tritnite)
"if you will" (comparing the watch to those of Omega, Brietling, GP, AP. etc. using the same movement)

He needs some new material.

LOL, you forgot "stepped bezel design". I have heard this used on pretty much every watch described by the karate kid.

incomplete without...Supported Scissor Style Safety Clasp (on there, in that)

He thinks rattling off these phrases makes him sound knowledgeable and intelligent.
We know better.

Don't forget to describe everything as "massive", "very expensive to do this way", "heavily machined", and "looks like $20K, $30K watch" oh and my favorite "this exact movement is used in watches that are $20K, $30K"
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby Bourbon City » February 13th 2011, 5:00pm

As Seattle said about common Invicta failures:
Crown falls off
Bracelet comes apart
Movement Stops
Hands fall off
Hands do not line up
Coating defective

The sad thing is each one of these should be repaired free of all charges if within the Warranty Period. They are each manufacturing problems.

Invicta makes their failures appear as the Owner or the Shipper is at fault and not them.

bc
Bourbon City
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gregl515 » February 14th 2011, 3:41pm

My question is, if you are making a Daytona homage, why supersize it?
"When you can't feel pain, you're dead!", Sgt. Laskodi, U.S.M.C.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker, U.S.M.C. (The Sands of Iwo Jima).
gregl515
WIS - Retired

Postby eddiea » February 14th 2011, 3:45pm

gregl515 wrote:My question is, if you are making a Daytona homage, why supersize it?

They are not... they make shit.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » February 14th 2011, 3:51pm

Rolex is a collection of ass clowns. Ridiculous pricing. They do not deserve to be compensated for creating one of the most icon designs in horological history!
True watch companies like Invicta are ENTITLED TO STEAL, er pay homage, to Rolex's idea and creativity with an inferior lookalike at a bargoon price
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Guest » February 14th 2011, 7:58pm

Watch Noob wrote:Jaws and Lumpy actually said Invicta and Grail like 5 times during the presentation, lol. All BS aside, no one associates Invicta with Grail no matter how you slice it.

Mr. Watch Noob, I do believe many WatchGeeks refer to some Invicta models as "grails." Mr. JSkelton and Mr. MDavis know their market.

Postby Fritz » February 14th 2011, 8:17pm

Watch Noob wrote:Jaws and Lumpy actually said Invicta and Grail like 5 times during the presentation, lol. All BS aside, no one associates Invicta with Grail no matter how you slice it.

100% not true, I often see on the for sale section of many watch sites the following (or something close to it). Grail sale, I am selling my invicta collection to fund my grail purchase, I paid $15,000 for all them and I hope to raise at least $500 to buy a movado Image
Fritz
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bahoomba » February 15th 2011, 7:15am

Good gravy.

I think we're missing the point here. JS and MD are expecting people to go "wow, jeepers!" over a watch with the same modules and similar movement that they FUBARed beyond comprehension last year? Think those WGs who waited a half year to get their "repaired" Speedways back from Invicta are gonna line up for another dose of incompetence?

That's what irks me the most about these guys, especially, Davis. He has the unmitigated gall to claim that last year's Speedway D/D adventure wasn't a big deal, that he has the inside knowledge as to what really happened.

Well, here's what happened, Mr. TBM: Your shit company slapped together some gray movements in China, and the fucking chronos didn't work en masse. It got so bad that ShopNBC actually stopped selling them on the site. A grand plan was announced to "make things right," but even that was so fucked up that many people who spent $1,000 (OMG, imagine spending a grand on an Invicta - who in their right minds?) waited a beyond crazy amount of time to be "satisfied." Meanwhile, statements were made on WG that were complete, utter crap about "loud conversations' with the module maker, which didn't even know a Speedway from Jessica Alba. While that BS was going on, the makers of the modules pretty much publicly stated "who the fuck is Invicta?" and were informed their products were used in a POS, more than likely by this very site (great work, guys). Some dead silence followed by the WG mods and owners - after all, it takes time to concoct a story - and eventually, a cryptic, meaningless statement was "co-issused" by D/D and IWG, which pretty much didn't say a whole lot - except that IWG's manufacturing sucked giant donkey dick. After that "proof" that everything was hunky dory, threads were closed, members were banned, and IWG fans were left with their usual, steaming pile of feces wrapped in the tallest tale since Babe the Blue Ox.

So now...you expect people to shell out eight hundred to a company with that exemplary record of quality - not even taking into account the the Speedway itself is an utter ripoff of an actual, reputable company's watch?

C'mon Mike, Jim, Eyal - tell me another story. I've popped some corn, the kids have all gathered round. Tell me about the Russian Navy, the "relationships" with Seiko and D/D, the "bonding at the molecular level." Tell me to "don't think - just buy." C'mon guys, don't let me down.

I see WGs is about to celebrate its third anniversary. It's like celebrating finding a cyst on an x-ray.
“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » February 15th 2011, 7:46am

Bahoomba wrote:

I see WGs is about to celebrate its third anniversary. It's like celebrating finding a cyst on an x-ray.

I think we can speculate that these "new" speedways are refurbished returns from the last time, some that were not sold and some that were not put on the market. A new dial may have been put in for this new version also. I would love to see the contract or even a signature from Dubois stating that these 2021 modules are direct from them and not grey market.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Watch Noob » February 15th 2011, 8:04am

Guys, put on your marketing hats for a second. You will never hear from Invicta or Jaws that these modules were purchased "direct" from DD. What you will hear is that Invicta has purchased these legitimate modules. They do not come out and tell you that it was second hand or grey market. The same way the do not tell you their watches are made in China, they do occasionally say "Far East", which will all know is China. If it was Japan, they would come right out and say so.

(On that note, for all you China tree-huggers, if China wasn't synonymous with Shit, why doesn't anyone use them as a selling point? )

MD and Jaws will continue to spin, spin spin. They think because they have that ridiculous paper from Lalo and DD that essentially says nothing, that is proof that everything is great and Invicta is a vlaued customer at DD.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » February 15th 2011, 9:03am

Forget about the now legendary Speedway, chills run through my spine waiting on the anticipated grail of all grails... the mighty Invicta Tourbillon...Shenzhen's own masterpiece, individualy hand assembled by Master Hue Kueng , at 12, the younger watchmaker in South China.
eddiea

Postby Watch Noob » February 15th 2011, 3:52pm

Round 2, Same as the First

#1 Today, 07:26 PM
Trancefanatic
Super Geek Join Date: Aug 2009

Dubois Depraz going back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I got the all black version and it looks spectacular. But the date window is miss aligned and the bezel numbers are off center. Sooo dissapointed. Nice quality control. Get your eyes examined Invicta QC. I will attempt one exchange and that is it.

Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby boscoe » February 15th 2011, 4:35pm

The original poster was a total clown. The original movements in the Daytona were Eta designs, not Rolex designed movements. Rolex purchased them from Eta
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby DX » February 15th 2011, 4:36pm

Watch Noob wrote:Round 2, Same as the First

#1 Today, 07:26 PM
Trancefanatic
Super Geek Join Date: Aug 2009

Dubois Depraz going back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I got the all black version and it looks spectacular. But the date window is miss aligned and the bezel numbers are off center. Sooo dissapointed. Nice quality control. Get your eyes examined Invicta QC. I will attempt one exchange and that is it.

Just goes to show you...

Haters all of em. STFU and take what's given you... You fuzzy bunny!
DX
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » February 15th 2011, 5:55pm

boscoe wrote:The original poster was a total clown. The original movements in the Daytona were Eta designs, not Rolex designed movements. Rolex purchased them from Eta

The first Cosmograph (Oyster) chronographs were the model 4500 and later the 6232/ 3668 ...all used the Valjoux 13 movement , not an ETA company at the time, not until around 1988 they switched to the modified Zenith, El Primero .
Some facts......
Ebauches SA was formed in 1926 in Neuchatel as a holding company that brought together Switzerland's largest ebauche firms, which included Valjoux S.A., ETA S.A., Felsa S.A., Venus S.A. and some others.
Not until 1983, Ebauches SA became, ETA SA Fabriques d'Ebauches... today part of the Swatch Group.
Note: Second paragraph sourced in part from the Unitas history site .
eddiea

Postby Watch Noob » February 16th 2011, 11:27am

I knew I wasn't crazy when I posted earlier about the chrono hands not lining up on air:

Today, 03:11 PM
jimmyv
Super Geek Join Date: Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief68
Lets keep in mind one rough shipper can throw the hands and or date off , it does not take much . I am also sure no one in this thread said they were through with Invicta.

Well if that is an issue you would think that shipper would no longer be used so not sure if this debate needs to keep being brought up unless there is going to be a change in the process.

I never posted anything about it because I didn't want to cause any drama on here but I was watching one of the videos for the Speedway the other day when it was the TTV and at that time (they update them now every time it is aired again) there was a video with Katina and Michael. She was talking about the chronograph function and how it doesn't sweep around when you reset and it but just snaps back and when she reset it the hand went to the 3 second mark and not zero. I had to watch it again to make sure I wasn't seeing things and sure enough it was off. I saw another presentation where they reset it and it was fine so I'm hoping it was just a one time issue and was reserving judgment until mine and some others' arrived so I just really hope we don't see a repeat of last time.

I just think the shipping argument needs to be put to rest because if that is truly a problem than the easy solution is to not use that shipper anymore. Just saying that one that was presented on air had an issue to illustrate that sometimes it could just be an issue with the watch itself and not always should just be pushed off on the shipping process. We've seen a couple issues so far and let's hope those get resolved with good replacements and we don't see any more issues because this is a great watch and it would be nice to see all who ordered one get one they can truly be proud of.

Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby Bahoomba » October 2nd 2015, 7:54am

One of the classic threads, bumped for sheer enjoyment.
“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 2nd 2015, 4:22pm

Bahoomba wrote:One of the classic threads, bumped for sheer enjoyment.

And enjoyable it is!

Never ceases to amaze me that people keep buying Invictas. Never.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Watch Noob » October 4th 2015, 6:58am

Ahhh yes, great times. The DD debacle at it's finest. :chump:
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Previous

Return to Invicta controversies