Invicta purchases Glycine -updated - yes it is true

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Re: Invicta purchases Glycine

Postby artman » August 5th 2016, 4:25pm

Oh well. I guess I have 2 Invictas now. I have been craving cheetos and fish sammkches lately.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 5th 2016, 4:29pm

artman wrote:Oh well. I guess I have 2 Invictas now. I have been craving cheetos and fish sammkches lately.

that's Is a beautyfull Wartche!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » August 5th 2016, 5:34pm

Maybe Lalow isn't as dumb as we think he is? He knows what geeks Wits want
big over sized watches only these are't stupidly big with Flame Confusion crystals wait knock
on wood what I'm I thinking its Wits we're talking about if it ain't over 55mm, 7'' thick 1000M
and 10x what it costs no one's buying them.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby MAX » August 6th 2016, 4:43am

Another one bites the dust.
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust

Shame, my fist good watch was a Glycine I inherited from my Grandfather in the 1950s.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby Tzimisces » August 6th 2016, 5:34am

Interestingly, the reaction at WIT has been rather similar to the reaction here. A couple are happy that Glycine will now be less expensive, but most think that they will now be nvicterized.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bahoomba » August 6th 2016, 7:29am

Tzimisces wrote:Interestingly, the reaction at WIT has been rather similar to the reaction here. A couple are happy that Glycine will now be less expensive, but most think that they will now be nvicterized.

Same at WUS - most think the news is pretty disgusting; of course, there are two or three Invicta fan boys, but the rest of them seem to believe it's pretty much the end of a quality brand. I agree. Just what everyone was waiting for: Glycines with "Flame Fusion" crystals.
“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » August 6th 2016, 7:54am

So does this/that mean older pre Glycine's will be more expensive on the
used market?
abduksion

Postby Tzimisces » August 6th 2016, 8:19am

abduksion wrote:So does this/that mean older pre Glycine's will be more expensive on the
used market?

The taint of association with nvicter is unlikely to enhance value.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 6th 2016, 8:58am

Tzimisces wrote:
abduksion wrote:So does this/that mean older pre Glycine's will be more expensive on the
used market?

The taint of association with nvicter is unlikely to enhance value.

Yup.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » August 6th 2016, 3:19pm

Glycine's US distribution was notably poor - one of the approximate dozen dealers was my defunct AD, About Time.

This left a bunch of people I didn't know and sundry gray market outlets - a sure fire recipe for disaster. I rather regret my procrastination now as I was interested in their 24 hour products but wound up buying CW instead.

If past is prologue, the Lalo will sell off anything physical, take the brand and apply it to the usual run of Kowloon catalog watches.

R.I.P. Glycine. We hardly knew ye.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby SN13 » August 6th 2016, 3:21pm

Hawk,

This is what I fear... im going to watch for glycine sell out deals though.
SN13
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » August 6th 2016, 4:52pm

SN13 wrote:Hawk,

This is what I fear... im going to watch for glycine sell out deals though.

I'll settle for the CW 24 hour. The only reason Harley bounced back after the AMF purchase was that the employees bought back the brand.

That will not happen with Glycine. So just like the alternate universe where Harley was forever made of bowling ball parts and not worth a shit for any recent model, the invicter taint on Glycine will impact not only future but existing product.

If I catch one going for 95.00 bucks I'm all over it but the days of paying Glycine prices for a Glycine are well and truly over.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » August 6th 2016, 4:58pm

I do believe that, some years ago, Glycine employed some future Invicta designers. (but they did use better components-like 3 eta automatic movements in one 53 mm watch)

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » August 10th 2016, 10:34pm

http://www.4-traders.com/DKSH-HOLDING-A ... -22885289/

Media release

DKSH sells the Glycine watch company to the Invicta Watch Group

DKSH sells its majority stake in Glycine Watch S.A. to the Invicta Watch Group, a US watch manufacturer.

Zurich, Switzerland, August 11, 2016 - DKSH (SIX: DKSH), the leading Market Expansion Services provider with a focus on Asia, sells Glycine Watch S.A. to the Florida-based watch manufacturer Invicta Watch Group. With this step, DKSH continues the restructuring of its luxury goods business which has made good progress since being announced in mid-2015. The parties have agreed not to disclose any financial details of the transaction.

Dr. Joerg Wolle, President & CEO, DKSH, commented: "Selling Glycine to Invicta is a further important step in the ongoing restructuring of our luxury goods business. At the same time, we are convinced that the Glycine business is in good hands. The restructuring of the luxury goods business is well underway; we are delivering what we promised."

Invicta was founded in 1837 by Raphael Picard in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. Glycine with its long heritage joins the Invicta Watch Group's other respected brands. Eyal Lalo, CEO of Invicta, stated: "I am very excited about Glycine joining the Invicta family. The synergy between the two brands will create growth for Glycine. It is our commitment to remain dedicated to preserving the quality and long history that made Glycine the respected brand that it is today. We will support Glycine while maintaining its independence and rich Swiss heritage."

Glycine was founded 102 years ago and since then has been producing premium watches at its factory in Biel, Switzerland. Lower demand in Asia, ongoing industry consolidation and the appreciation of the Swiss franc has led DKSH to restructure its luxury goods business - including the possibility to divest.

About DKSH

DKSH is the leading Market Expansion Services provider with a focus on Asia. As the term "Market Expansion Services" suggests, DKSH helps other companies and brands to grow their business in new or existing markets. Publicly listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange since 2012, DKSH is a global company headquartered in Zurich. With 770 business locations in 36 countries - 740 of them in Asia - and 28,300 specialized staff, DKSH generated net sales of CHF 10.1 billion in 2015. DKSH was founded in 1865. With strong Swiss heritage, the company has a long tradition of doing business in and with Asia and is deeply rooted in communities and businesses across Asia Pacific.

For further information please contact:

DKSH Holding Ltd.

Till Leisner

Head, Group Investor & Media Relations

Phone +41 44 386 7315

till.leisner@dksh.com

Dominique Nadelhofer

Manager, Group Media Relations

Phone +41 44 386 7228

dominique.nadelhofer@dksh.com

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Invicta purchases Glycine -updated - yes it is true

Postby abduksion » August 10th 2016, 10:54pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8VdW-DuEA[/youtube]
abduksion

Postby artman » August 10th 2016, 10:56pm

Last night the authorized Glycine dealer put all of their Glycines in the clearance rack marked 50% off! I'm waiting until they're at least 70% off.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » August 10th 2016, 11:00pm

Get ready for 70MM watches with flame confusion crystals, cheap quartz
movements with see through case-backs,non existent warranties bad CS,
QC and lastly high inflated MSRPS.
abduksion

Postby koimaster » August 10th 2016, 11:23pm

By the way, this site was the first with the confirming information.

:6rdtf:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mortuus » August 10th 2016, 11:42pm

Well, that's one way to get your Swiss factory...
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » August 11th 2016, 6:50am

Mortuus wrote:Well, that's one way to get your Swiss factory...

Or, at least a real Swiss PO box. Just wait till people start calling Biel/Bienne and Rebecca picks up.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » August 11th 2016, 7:17am

Glycine wouldn't have been for sale if they were making money and claims to the contrary notwithstanding Eyal doesn't operate charities.

If past is prolog the employees will be sacked, fixtures auctioned, property leased with all that remains being the IP and good will associated with the brand which will henceforth be assembled in Kowloon sometimes with a token Swiss movement to break up the monotony of PRC parts throughout.

There will be as much resemblance between an Invicta-Glycine and original Glycine as there is between a Dolt Zoose and a 1965 original Invicta.

RIP Glycine.

But the product will turn a profit - that much is assured.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby hcharles » August 11th 2016, 7:53am

I would say that Hawk's assessment of the situation would be correct. No more Glycines, just an invicter with a more upscale name.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby SN13 » August 11th 2016, 10:20am

artman wrote:Last night the authorized Glycine dealer put all of their Glycines in the clearance rack marked 50% off! I'm waiting until they're at least 70% off.

Where? :D
SN13
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 11th 2016, 11:51am

Hawk wrote:
There will be as much resemblance between an Invicta-Glycine and original Glycine as there is between a Dolt Zoose and a 1965 original Invicta.

RIP Glycine.

No question about it. The only thing Invicta does with the brands its taken on - thinking of the faux Swiss sham of S. Coifman, and now Technomarine - is cheapen them; for example, new Technomarines sport Flame Fusion crystals. Granted, TM wasn't much to begin with, but all IWG does is cut corners, then tells consumers the models are "improved."

Frankly, I don't see the logic in Invicta picking up Glycine in the first place; all their previous attempts at trying to "look" Swiss - the various permeations of Coifman; the doomed-from-the-start stupidity of Imperious; their trying to slap watches with ETA movements and D/D modules together in China fiasco - have been short-lived disasters that they've separated themselves from almost as quickly as they started promoting them. Cripes, right now there are S. Coifman watches selling for about $40 on Amazon.

Good Swiss watches simply aren't Invicta's core market. They can try to sell "Swiss Made" watches until Jill Sommerstein finishes eating that stack of Entenmann's Marshmallow Devil's Food Iced Cakes, but if they cheapen Glycine, they'll only alienate the brand's existing following while trying to sell a "new brand" that will be too expensive for the pacerguy/roadwarrior section of the market. And judging from my town, the only place here in NYC you can buy Invicta in midtown is at their own Times Square joint - real, respected jewelers and watch stores wouldn't touch their shit with one of Charla Rine's cloven hooves.

Yeah, it's disgusting that Invicta is going to pretty much turn a good brand into rancid, week-old gibbon shit, but it ain't gonna work.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » August 11th 2016, 12:12pm

SN13 wrote:
artman wrote:Last night the authorized Glycine dealer put all of their Glycines in the clearance rack marked 50% off! I'm waiting until they're at least 70% off.

Where? :D

Guam Premium Outlets. Coming from Bellingham, Take the I5 south to Tacoma. Switch to the 405 west to Bremerton. It's just a few more miles from there. Can't miss it.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

PreviousNext

Return to Invicta controversies