Invicta purchases Glycine -updated - yes it is true

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Re: Invicta purchases Glycine -updated - yes it is true

Postby TemerityB » September 1st 2016, 7:42pm

Another take on the saddest watch news of 2016, complete with more rah-rah quotes from Glycine's Lack:

American watch business Invicta Watch Group has confirmed the acquisition of Glycine, a 100 year old Swiss maker best known for its Airman range of pilot watches.

The group now has a stable of four watch brands: Invicta, S.Coifman, Technomarine and Glycine.

Glycine has a toehold in the UK, with online retailer Watchshop offering the brand, along with a handful of independents including CW Sellors in Ashbourne in Derbyshire and Ogden of Harrogate.

Invicta operates through branded stores and a network of retailers in the United States, but has no presence in the UK. Technomarine and S.Coifman, the group’s other two brands, are also absent from the UK.

Invicta announced the acquisition of Glycine on its Facebook page, but provided little detail. “We are pleased to welcome Glycine into the Invicta family of brands. Established in 1914 and still based in Switzerland, we look forward to continuing the rich brand heritage of crafting fine, Swiss-made timepieces,” the Facebook message said.

Glycine’s CEO, Stephan Lack, is delighted with the deal, which he feels gives Invicta Group the scale and breadth of brands to expand. “Invicta definitely bought a gem with a great history and a very nice collection,” he told WatchPro.

“If Invicta Group is able to optimise marketing and distribution, Glycine will be a very sustainable deal,” he added.

Glycine’s existing retail partners are being promised continuity. “Glycine Watch SA stays an autonomous Swiss company with own distribution,” said Mr Lack.

The global reach of Invicta Group, particularly in the Americas, made the deal particularly attractive to Glycine. “Invicta Group is financially strong, core competence 100% in the watch business, family company, strong in marketing and sales, especially in the very potential US market. Glycine will profit from the marketing services know how (particularly social media) and the distribution power in the American and South-American market,” predicted Mr Lack.

He also suggested that Glycine, the only watch brand in the Invicta Group portfolio with a retail network in the UK, could help its stablemates expand this side of the Atlantic.

http://www.watchpro.com/invicta-watch-g ... of-brands/
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 1st 2016, 8:41pm

What a load of steaming shit. A big, hot, sweltering pile.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 1st 2016, 10:07pm

biglove wrote:What a load of steaming shit. A big, hot, sweltering pile.

Quite so. However, the idea of Nvicter getting a foothold in the Sceptred Isle, for some reason, makes me feel warm and happy. While the Brits really don't deserve the sheer horror of having Invicter boutiques on their high streets--well, maybe they do, because of selling the Smiths Everest--still, the idea of a bunch of UK yobs wearing Subaqueer Homos EYE EYE EYEs, including our own Dirtbox, is capital fun.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 2nd 2016, 6:21am

conjurer wrote:
biglove wrote:What a load of steaming shit. A big, hot, sweltering pile.

Quite so. However, the idea of Nvicter getting a foothold in the Sceptred Isle, for some reason, makes me feel warm and happy. While the Brits really don't deserve the sheer horror of having Invicter boutiques on their high streets--well, maybe they do, because of selling the Smiths Everest--still, the idea of a bunch of UK yobs wearing Subaqueer Homos EYE EYE EYEs, including our own Dirtbox, is capital fun.

It's a good point. Before reading that, I had no idea that Invicter was nowheresville in England.

Wow. Sea Spiders, Bolts, and Ocean Ghosts in the land of Accurists and Rotarys, to to mention Bremont and Loomes?

I can't see it. Then again, I didn't see Brexit coming, either. There's only one thing I know in 2016: Stupid is coming, and you can't stop it.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » September 2nd 2016, 9:20am

Seems as though I recall something to the effect that Lalo bought the American rights to the invicter name back in the 80s while Sector (then owners of Seeland/Invicta) retained European rights thus keeping Eelo off the continent. If so, that might account for the fortunate lack of invicters for John Bull.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 16th 2016, 2:39pm

An update from Worn & Wound, with "news" on Invicta's eventual dismantling of Glycine:

UNDER INVICTA, GLYCINE PROMISES TO FOCUS ON AIRMAN AND COMBAT LINES
WORDS BY ILYA RYVIN

Last month, news broke that Glycine was acquired by Invicta Watch Group, which, as the name suggests, operates the Invicta brand alongside the lesser known TechnoMarine and S. Coifman brands. We’ve heard for quite some time now that Glycine had been struggling, and acquisitions are certainly no stranger to the watch world. But Invicta’s role in this bit of industry news came as a surprise. Ask any watch lover their candid thoughts on this buyout and the response likely wouldn’t surprise. Invicta’s often gaudy, uninspired pieces—not to mention its misleading pricing strategy—has left the brand with a pretty poor image among enthusiasts. For a brand as storied as Glycine to be scooped up by a firm with a less than stellar track record and portfolio was unexpected. Needless to say, this news was met with nearly universal disdain, with collectors fearing that Invicta would influence the core of the brand.

In an interview regarding the acquisition, Glycine’s CEO Stephen Lack addressed some of these concerns. In sum, Glycine and Invicta will remain two separate entities, with the former still very much focused on making watches the way they’ve been doing, though with a much greater focus on the Airman and Combat collections. “There are absolutely no intentions to have a mixture of the two brands. Glycine will stay Glycine,” says Mr. Lack.

Invicta Watch Group’s role will be primarily to push distribution and marketing heavily in the States and South America. It remains to be seen if that stays true, but something tells me Invicta Watch Group—clearly looking to expand its portfolio and pursue different market segments—won’t interfere with Glycine too much. (Read the full interview here.)

It’s interesting, though somewhat unsurprising, to read that Glycine will focus on the Airman and Combat lines. The former is the brand’s heritage series based on a collection of purposeful pilot watches dating back to 1953, so it makes complete sense that Glycine wouldn’t abandon these iconic pieces. The latter consists of a series of field and dive watches like the Combat 7—a riff on US-issued military watches from the ‘40s; and the Combat Sub—a collection of Submariner-inspired (though I wouldn’t categorize them as “homage” watches) divers that have done well for the brand.

Last year, Glycine made waves with an especially impressive showing, unveiling three great Airman models—one a faithful recreation, and two stunning variations on the original historical model. To see Glycine expand on that line, and really push it through Invicta Watch Group’s extensive network, would certainly be welcome.

A few months ago, Glycine also released the Combat Sub Aquarius, a watch that, despite a few reservations, really impressed us. Pulling on the DNA of the Combat Sub line, the Aquarius is a modern take with a highly functional aesthetic. The dial is relatively austere—white markers against a black base with a hint of color above six—and it pairs well with the equally subdued sword handset. Surrounding the dial is a prominent ceramic bezel featuring a knurled grip and raised markings, and it’s absolutely striking. The case is rated to 500m and features a HEV at eight—both features being a tad gimmicky, but they are there.

The aforementioned reservation? The watch measures 46mm, so it’s big, and markedly bigger than anything I would ever wear, but there are people out there who can certainly handle that size. That said, I would love to see this line grow with more accessible dimensions, because sizing issues aside the Aquarius appears to be an excellent dive watch, and a relatively unique proposition in a saturated category. And at $1,420, it’s competitively priced within the market.

http://wornandwound.com/under-invicta-g ... edb36d2bcd
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » September 16th 2016, 2:47pm

Time will tell. (get it??)
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » September 16th 2016, 2:53pm

A WUS interview with Lack:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/interv ... 81609.html

I wonder if Lack, currently doing damage control all over, would have the stones to be interviewed here.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » September 16th 2016, 2:56pm

FWIW

My local watch guy is a Glycine dealer.

Glycines are on sale at 50% off. I haven't been there to talk to him , just saw it on his site. I'll probably drop in next week for the low down.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby boscoe » September 16th 2016, 3:04pm

Gylcine now = Urine!
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » September 16th 2016, 3:19pm

boscoe wrote:Gylcine now = Urine!

I have absolute faith that that will surely be the case. Everything Lawler LaDingo touches turns to pure, weak cheese.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 16th 2016, 4:05pm

foghorn wrote:FWIW

My local watch guy is a Glycine dealer.

Glycines are on sale at 50% off. I haven't been there to talk to him , just saw it on his site. I'll probably drop in next week for the low down.

Link?
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » September 16th 2016, 4:30pm

Not many left and all on straps.

http://thewatchmaker.com/shop/category/glycine/
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 16th 2016, 7:09pm

foghorn wrote:Not many left and all on straps.

http://thewatchmaker.com/shop/category/glycine/

Thanks. Dang; but, I wish that blue and gold diver was on bracelet.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » September 16th 2016, 7:45pm

The blue and gold is down to $600 here.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » September 16th 2016, 7:59pm

Poor Glycine. They needed a white knight, and it turned out to be this.

“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 16th 2016, 8:40pm

artman wrote:The blue and gold is down to $600 here.

On bracelet?!
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » September 17th 2016, 2:10am

No sorry. It's on the blue rubber strap. Rumor has it if I wait until December then it'll be discounted another 20% off.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » September 17th 2016, 7:50am

Bought this exact watch from this same Amazon vendor 2 wks. ago at $509. Wtf? https://www.amazon.com/Glycine-Kriegs-M ... cine+watch
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 17th 2016, 12:46pm

Falstaff wrote:Bought this exact watch from this same Amazon vendor 2 wks. ago at $509. Wtf? https://www.amazon.com/Glycine-Kriegs-M ... cine+watch

That's really sharp. All I can guess is that's it's going, going, soon to be in a yellow box.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » December 2nd 2016, 5:28pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » December 2nd 2016, 5:36pm

Fuck Invicta. But to be fair-Glycine got the ball rolling on this abortion before Invicta was involved.

https://www.deployant.com/modestly-pric ... irfighter/
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby abduksion » December 2nd 2016, 5:52pm

koimaster wrote:Image

Only Invicturd can fuck up a good brand like Glycine what an ugly pos
that looks like one of those MOW watches. Swiss Made for how long?
then it goes right to china to be made.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby biglove » December 2nd 2016, 7:03pm

foghorn wrote:Fuck Invicta. But to be fair-Glycine got the ball rolling on this abortion before Invicta was involved.

https://www.deployant.com/modestly-pric ... irfighter/

Jeebus. Sweet, weeping baby Jeebus...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » December 3rd 2016, 6:19am

I almost pull the trigger on a Combat Sub Golden Eye but, quality control issues starting to show up, and I never follow up....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

PreviousNext

Return to Invicta controversies