Eyal Lalo Statement on Swiss & Swiss Made Invicta's

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Eyal Lalo Statement on Swiss & Swiss Made Invicta's

Postby koimaster » December 26th 2014, 1:21pm

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/thread40458.html

If we can refrain from name calling.... and getting personal with one another, I want to open this topic back up, but with a different tone.

I think this statement from the CEO of Invicta is worthy of a discussion amongst other Invicta owners.

In case you missed the memo.. On another forum, he responded to a post questioning the origin of Invicta watches labeled Swiss Made or Swiss. Based on the rules of that forum, anything posted there is public, so I will repost it here for discussion.

I have been asked to personally clarify the confusion with the markings on the watches. I feel I have a confident and open enough relationship with our customers to make a clear statement and get this matter clarified once and for all. While I know that it is impossible to satisfy everyone, it is our commitment to keep a top level relationship with our very loyal customer base.

There is a definite gray area in the use of the words “Swiss”, “Swiss Made”, “Swiss Movements”, “Swiss Parts”, “Swiss Components”, and “Swiss Registration”. The fact of the matter is that, like in many “multiple-component” products, where the country of origin adds value to the product, we tend to highlight that.

A perfect example is the auto industry. You might buy a Mercedes that is manufactured in Mexico using German engineering, some German parts, etc. The brand focuses on highlighting their “German” standards. Much in the same way, the watch industry does when Swiss is present. Without mentioning brands, it is important to understand that Switzerland almost produces NO watch components except parts associated with the movements, and assembly. What this means is that if you bought a $6000.00 Swiss Made Chronograph from “Brand X”, what you are likely buying is a watch that houses a Swiss Made movement (And even the movement components themselves have their own complicated breakdown value. For instance, even if a movement is “Swiss Made”, it does not mean every part in the movement was made in Switzerland, only a given percentage of that ) and the watch was assembled and tested in Switzerland. We do the same, and hopefully that brings clarity to everyone that when we mark a watch “Swiss Made”, you are buying a Swiss Made watch with a Swiss made movement, that is assembled in Switzerland.

Then we get into the way we use the word “SWISS”. The the word “Swiss” was used on watches as a description for a watch using a movement with Swiss part Origins. This includes movements that are bought from SWISS COMPANIES, with SWISS ENGENEERING, that are tested in Switzerland, but has components that are sent off to the Far East for cost purposes to be assembled. Examples of these are ETA, Ronda, ISA, “Far East versions”. They were developed to assist in delivering the consumer more value, on an otherwise identical item. Today, the word Swiss is used on watches that are very inexpensive, because the brand used a Swiss Movement Far East assembly version. Yes as companies we do call more attention to this than the fact that the movement is assembled in China, but that’s marketing.

Then there is the talk about the Swiss Federation. I cannot speak too much into the Swiss Federation standard because it is a private foreign entity, not a law dictating body, and we do not belong to it for a variety of reasons I prefer not to go into. I respect companies developing a stamp of approval and charging for it, such as COSC, but to be part of a group that develops standards on watches based on the direction of the “big players” in the watch industry, and attempting to apply them to smaller companies without giving them a fair chance, is a monopoly, and I am strongly against that.

I make this statement on a personal level, and hope that it can bring some level of clarity to this discussion.

Sincerely,

Eyal

Basically in a nutshell what Eyal is saying here is no surprise to me, Invicta watches are not made in Switzerland. . They use Swiss parts, Swiss movements, and some of their watches are cased up and inspected in Switzerland. By his own words:

"For instance, even if a movement is “Swiss Made”, it does not mean every part in the movement was made in Switzerland, only a given percentage of that ) and the watch was assembled and tested in Switzerland. We do the same.."

To me, this announcement is no surprise. I never thought any of their watches were made in Switzerland. Eyal just confirmed what I already knew. Perhaps many many years ago, before he bought the rights to use the Invicta name, but never in the modern era.

So here is the discussion.. what do you think this "announcement" will do for Invicta as a company? Although "Shop" may have had some hand in this misconception or confusion at some point, lets leave our comments toward Invicta since that's were they came from.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Eyal Lalo Statement on Swiss & Swiss Made Invicta's

Postby elau » December 26th 2014, 2:12pm

Not much else to discuss about this brand except a big Fuck It.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » December 26th 2014, 3:12pm

Wonder if the looming Florida investigation has brought forth a bit more honesty in "labeling?"
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » December 26th 2014, 3:18pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » December 26th 2014, 3:27pm

biglove wrote:Wonder if the looming Florida investigation has brought forth a bit more honesty in "labeling?"

Not unless a 2014 probe can change events in 2010.

I recognize that tap-dance as from the time of "swiss" marked on watches that were all-the-way Chinese. It was on display at Geeks for quite a time before they got their censor on. I remember reading the "Mexican Mercedes" analogy at the time and thinking "this guy just doesn't get it - and never will".

A most excellent trip down memory lane.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » December 26th 2014, 3:40pm

Eyal would like everyone to think that it is complicated. The only gray area is determining how much he is lying to you. Any watchmaker has complete control over all aspects of their production, what parts are used, how they are labelled, where each step takes place, etc. Since Invicta is not even a watchmaker, he can't get specific, he hopes you will believe the lies. Invicta owns a Swiss factory like I own Timberline Lodge.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby biglove » December 26th 2014, 4:00pm

Hawk wrote:
biglove wrote:Wonder if the looming Florida investigation has brought forth a bit more honesty in "labeling?"

Not unless a 2014 probe can change events in 2010.

I recognize that tap-dance as from the time of "swiss" marked on watches that were all-the-way Chinese. It was on display at Geeks for quite a time before they got their censor on. I remember reading the "Mexican Mercedes" analogy at the time and thinking "this guy just doesn't get it - and never will".

A most excellent trip down memory lane.

Thanks. I couldn't pull up the forums so was going on the quoted information.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » December 26th 2014, 4:07pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » December 26th 2014, 7:31pm

I'm a broken record:
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » December 27th 2014, 12:07am

I got a kick out of TVDinner's response...one is tempted to do the same with "Swiss Rubber."

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 27th 2014, 8:43am

You know, I never stopped to read that "Company Overview" of La Deon before. Everything it states there is the same line of hype that Lawler LaDingo and Jill Summersausage spew on ShopFuhQ. "More than 10 new designs daily." Same line of hype - and now it's easy to figure out where they come from.

That might be the most damning single document ever about IWG. The only thing that perplexes me on this entire matter is that you can't get a single person that was ever associated with IWG, even peripherally, to come out and spill the beans. A company that can't even keep a slimy opportunist like Mongrel happy must have scores of former, pissed-off "employees."
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » December 26th 2015, 10:26pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Watch Noob » December 27th 2015, 6:24am

Interesting analogy from 2014 no less of buying a Mercedes built in Mexico when Mercedes doesn't build in Mexico....yet. First A and B series segments won't roll off the line until summer of 2017 and 2018 respectively. So that was just another ass pull from Lalo unless he really meant Volkswagen. :twisted:
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » December 27th 2015, 9:45am

From Lalo in his "groundbreaking" statement:

Then there is the talk about the Swiss Federation. I cannot speak too much into the Swiss Federation standard because it is a private foreign entity, not a law dictating body, and we do not belong to it for a variety of reasons I prefer not to go into. I respect companies developing a stamp of approval and charging for it, such as COSC, but to be part of a group that develops standards on watches based on the direction of the “big players” in the watch industry, and attempting to apply them to smaller companies without giving them a fair chance, is a monopoly, and I am strongly against that.

Huh?!? That's carnie speak for "I'll slap 'Swiss Made' on a tuna can if I feel like it."

How the fuck does this slimeball get to do what he does without penalty? EVER? No question about it: The #1 affront to this industry is this TV huckster, and it's been transparent for years now - but it's all the fault of the FH for not nailing him as far back as 2007 for his BS.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » December 27th 2015, 6:36pm

I have to wonder whatever happened to Florida AG, Pam Bondy, and her investigation...of course, those things do take time, especially when there's tons of evidence. But still...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » December 27th 2015, 11:46pm

I agree with Laller or whatever his name is to some degree. Swatch is trying to wipe out small players by removing ETA from the playing field and making it impossible to meet the 80% overall quota that will be enforced. You can see certain companies like Oris trying to up their game/price point but look for a lot of tents to fold in the next few years.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Invicta controversies