About 9937 bezel insert + crown

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Re: About 9937 bezel insert + crown

Postby foghorn » October 22nd 2014, 7:40pm

Halcion1 wrote:Did you just make that up ?lmao..... you certainly are a clever one ......thank goodness for google, ha ?

This looks like a drunk post too. Phone or not.

Something bothering you Hal?

Need to talk?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » October 22nd 2014, 7:48pm

I think he's saying that a couple of his regular patients showed up in the ER, which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. I don't think I'd enjoy it very much, either... :|
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 7:49pm

Okay, gentlemen, I have a question about automatic watches and accuracy......many online discussions about this subject have been discussed. I have read individuals saying everything from....." if you want accuracy, get a quartz," to" -4 to +20 spd is acceptable for any well made automatic....." now most would protest but in the REAL WORLD most would find this variance perfectly acceptable.....one could, in fact, regulate a cheap, chinese movement to +/- 1 spd....but how long would it remain that way ?

So, I put it to you guys....what would you consider acceptable....whether at months end your auto if off by 3 minutes or 7 minutes..the fact remains..OFF IS OFF.

Re: medical use of marijuana...i do not believe in treating MY patients with anything that has addiction potential..most severely mentally ill patients, esp. mood disorders and thought disorders, i.e. bi polar and/or schizoaffective disorder..are addicts ..self medicators..they should be discouraged from anything addictive ....especially a SCHEDULE II narcotic such as barbiturates and even the milder SCHEDULE IV such as benzos....

also, medical marijuana has no purpose in psychiatry as it will manifest tremendous mood swings ..
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:00pm

I forgot to add.....medical marijuana has a therapeutic level, and even though it may be lower than most who use marijuana recreationally are used to, nonetheless the drug..and i use that word deliberately, DRUG is still addictive, and anyone who displays medication seeking tendencies regardless of how subtle , should be discouraged. many psychiatrists make use of controlled substances to treat various things. because it is an easy fix. I do not share their views. Less is always better and when you deal with Axis I diagnoses, it can get very tricky as there are a number of things to factor in.. many Axis II diagnoses, such as borderline personality disorders CANNOT be medicated. Trust me . The DSM gets updated all the time. We are currently using 5, although proposed revisions will be forthcoming with particular changes to, actually, the aforementioned BPD.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 22nd 2014, 8:03pm

Halcion1 wrote: tremendous mood swings ..

That was why I liked it so much :mrgreen:

RE: Accuracy

Quartz is not the answer to accuracy and those who say it is are fools.

Radio-controlled (so called "Atomic" ) watches are. There isn't a Rolex , Omega , Patek , or anything else that comes close. You want prestige , bragging rights, and a good look on the wrist get a high end automatic. You want spot on accuracy go G-Shock or maybe Junghaus radio controlled.
I believe Invicta dabbled in the RC field at one time too.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » October 22nd 2014, 8:04pm

Halcion1 wrote:I forgot to add.....medical marijuana has a therapeutic level, and even though it may be lower than most who use marijuana recreationally are used to, nonetheless the drug..and i use that word deliberately, DRUG is still addictive, and anyone who displays medication seeking tendencies regardless of how subtle , should be discouraged. many psychiatrists make use of controlled substances to treat various things. because it is an easy fix. I do not share their views. Less is always better and when you deal with Axis I diagnoses, it can get very tricky as there are a number of things to factor in.. many Axis II diagnoses, such as borderline personality disorders CANNOT be medicated. Trust me . The DSM gets updated all the time. We are currently using 5, although proposed revisions will be forthcoming with particular changes to, actually, the aforementioned BPD.

Dayum Hal!!!

The Big Loooooove gonna get wood when he reeds this.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Bigjimzlll » October 22nd 2014, 8:10pm

Which side of the fence do you fall on addiction being a disease?
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:13pm

Foghorn you are funny !! why would biglove become aroused lol....btw is he a psychiatric nurse ? you know, years ago, the highest rates of alcoholism as well as drug addiction were among psych nurses and commercial airline pilots...

Secondly, so are you basically saying "bollacks" to accuracy ? i asked what would you be prepared to live with.....variance wise.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » October 22nd 2014, 8:18pm

The only guys who worry about accuracy are those guys who vape, and they're a bunch of fucking pussies, anyways.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:23pm

I, personally believe, that back in the 50's, when the AMA included alcoholism as a medical disease it was to appease all the shit they were getting. Listen I was and am a serious alcoholic and addict myself ok.. I am lucky to be practicing and more lucky to be alive. I will be sober one year December 23rd. If you pull any doctor aside, they will probably agree with a certain amount of trepidation, that addiction is a disease. I feel it is a slap in the face to anyone who really has a disease. Addiction is self perpetuating and can be life threatening, but the fact remains you are bringing it on yourself. The one word that put it in the AMA was CHRONIC..yes it is chronic, but it is not a disease. Cancer is a disease, schizophrenia is a disease....addiction is a horrific bad habit and is the cause of more peoples lives destroyed than cancer and auto accidents combined. i probably spent 18 hours studying addiction in school, that is why so many doctors are not that well versed on it. That tells you right there what the medical community thinks about addiction being a disease. It just so happens I am an addict so I know perfectly well why I feel the way I do. Medical schools do not focus on addiction for a reason.appeasement to the AA and NA nuts out there preaching DISEASE>
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:27pm

@conjurer..what does VAPE mean ?
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fenny » October 22nd 2014, 8:30pm

Halcion1 wrote:I, personally believe, that back in the 50's, when the AMA included alcoholism as a medical disease it was to appease all the shit they were getting. Listen I was and am a serious alcoholic and addict myself ok.. I am lucky to be practicing and more lucky to be alive. I will be sober one year December 23rd. If you pull any doctor aside, they will probably agree with a certain amount of trepidation, that addiction is a disease. I feel it is a slap in the face to anyone who really has a disease. Addiction is self perpetuating and can be life threatening, but the fact remains you are bringing it on yourself. The one word that put it in the AMA was CHRONIC..yes it is chronic, but it is not a disease. Cancer is a disease, schizophrenia is a disease....addiction is a horrific bad habit and is the cause of more peoples lives destroyed than cancer and auto accidents combined. i probably spent 18 hours studying addiction in school, that is why so many doctors are not that well versed on it. That tells you right there what the medical community thinks about addiction being a disease. It just so happens I am an addict so I know perfectly well why I feel the way I do. Medical schools do not focus on addiction for a reason.appeasement to the AA and NA nuts out there preaching DISEASE>

Sober 6 1/2 years here and reluctantly agree with everything you wrote.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 22nd 2014, 8:33pm

I will force feed you burritos then tie you to a chair with a bear trap under the chair and when you shit the bear trap will snap onto your balls then I will stick a pineapple in your peehole
hee hee
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:36pm

Congratulations on your six and one half years. That is awesome. People looking in have no idea what it takes. I do not see eye to eye with AA or NA. In fact they hate me. I will NOT concede it is a disease, however, it is BAR NONE the most powerful thing I have ever come up against. I do not believe we are powerless over it. Reach deep down inside and just make up your fucking mind. Enough is enough.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » October 22nd 2014, 8:41pm

Happy to get +/- 4sec/day or better in an automatic if I can.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:44pm

@Tzimisces.....have you ever been administered a RORSCHACH test ?
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 22nd 2014, 8:52pm

Isn't he the guy from Welcome Back Kotter?
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 8:58pm

Lol , yes he is ;)
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bigjimzlll » October 22nd 2014, 9:18pm

OOps...didn't mean to strike a nerve with old "is it or ain't it" deal. I've been in recovery from alcohol and drugs 20 years Dec 8th 2014(if I live until then). I had some the best shrinks that LA had. If they were any good they said...we won't even try to diagnose until your clean and sober for a year...the real good ones said 5 years. I would comment more, but the 11th tradition prevents it.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Postby ocean » October 22nd 2014, 9:22pm

Halcion1 wrote:@Tzimisces.....have you ever been administered a RORSCHACH test ?

The last ink blot I saw was of you with a gag ball, a pineapple in the pee hole and an invicter Russian diver shoved up your arse by granny. Any other blots you need comments on?
Last edited by ocean on October 22nd 2014, 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 9:28pm

Congrats on your sobriety . And I agree, one year minimum. Many severe addicts are dually diagnosed but only after a good period of sobriety as many drugs both legal and illegal can emulate psychosis.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 22nd 2014, 9:50pm

Ladies and gentlemen, WL at large, Dr. Hal is NO troll!

I am not an MD, Hal. RN since 1990. Had the aptitude for medical school but not the motivation. Was way too busy "not living up to my potential," to quote a number of high school and college instructors/professors! But, damn, I had fun!

Quite possibly the thing I was given the most shit about during my early time here was the fact I declined college my freshman year in high school and that I brought it up as a matter of my own history. That really got a couple of folks' panties in a big fat wad. But, yeah, I was an ass about it at times.

Did pediatric/adolescent psych stent early on in 1991 but not anything I would return to. First love was NICU. Have been in hospice since 2008. Looking at a change now though.

We have in our midst an esteemed RPh and another MD. Several in healthcare. Several active and retired medics/firemen/cops. Numerous former military and even a retired fighter pilot. Not to mention a smattering of attorneys, dump truck drivers, book store managers, IT and PC professionals and more.

A couple of guys stuck down under, one guy who wears salmon colored shorts damned well, one fine Commie and a damned fine German.

Great ethnic, national, heritage, political mix here with varying degrees of education and income.

THE best watch reviews, comedic and satirical writing anywhere in the horological community. An enormous amount of knowledge for the small number of folks here! Damned charitable group of folks, too!

One thing is for sure here. Education and income don't play nearly the role they do in the real world. What matters here is knowledge about watches, mostly, and being willing to listen and to educate oneself about the hobby. Oh, and except for a few guys appreciation, avoid scatalogical discussions and contests about poop stories unless you are giving away a really nice watch as a prize!

Welcome!

Now show us some pics of your watches, damnit! ;)

foghorn wrote:
Halcion1 wrote:I forgot to add.....medical marijuana has a therapeutic level, and even though it may be lower than most who use marijuana recreationally are used to, nonetheless the drug..and i use that word deliberately, DRUG is still addictive, and anyone who displays medication seeking tendencies regardless of how subtle , should be discouraged. many psychiatrists make use of controlled substances to treat various things. because it is an easy fix. I do not share their views. Less is always better and when you deal with Axis I diagnoses, it can get very tricky as there are a number of things to factor in.. many Axis II diagnoses, such as borderline personality disorders CANNOT be medicated. Trust me . The DSM gets updated all the time. We are currently using 5, although proposed revisions will be forthcoming with particular changes to, actually, the aforementioned BPD.

Dayum Hal!!!

The Big Loooooove gonna get wood when he reeds this.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 10:00pm

I will open a photo bucket account. I do have a Belair,a Citizen eco drive, a vintage 1974 Times auto, a casio world timer and a seiko dress. Oh and my fucking invicter that I really am growing quite find of. It's running +11.7 spd. I do know two watchmakers very well. They both agreed to let the invicter settle down a bit. May take months. One was of the mind that 11 spd either way is nothing to get all ocd about.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » October 22nd 2014, 10:01pm

Halcion1 wrote:...one could, in fact, regulate a cheap, chinese movement to +/- 1 spd....but how long would it remain that way ?

No, You couldn't. Of course we do first have to define what exactly is meant by accuracy. You can indeed make any movement run in such a way, that

- You fully wind it
- set it
- place it on it's back on a table
- let it run for 24h
- and when You return, it shows the precise time, +/- 0s
- and, what is more important, wind it again, put it down, have the same result after another 24h.
- but - don't look at it inbetween, as it might be running 12 h slow, then 12h fast - averaging to +/- 0.

But that is not the reality, in which a watch lives. First of all, You want it to show the correct time, anytime You look at it. Then it is constantly moved around, top being bottom, right being left, swinging on the arm. One day You wind it in the morning, the next You only do so around noon. If it is an automatic, one day You spend at You desk, the next You go shopping, then You sleep long, then You don't wear it at all. Oh, I didn't mention temperature changes yet...

So the cronometer norm defines precision differently (look it up). Basically, what matters is
- how does it run at different temperatures
- in different positions
- and - most important - the time is checked every hour, not every 24 hours

All of this means, that
- You need a main spring, that applies a very constant force to the wheeltrain no matter whether fully wound or only half.
- Every component of the wheeltrain must be running "smoothly" - that is with a very constant friction
- The balance must compensate for the movements of Your wrist
- Temperature changes must be compensated

All of this requires both high constructive and manufacturing quality.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 22nd 2014, 10:04pm

And I almost forgot to mention. Thank you for the welcome. Nursing is an honorable profession. The mother of my two beautiful children is an RN. NURSES are underpaid and underappreciated. many nurses have taken the fall for an MD'S FUCK UP......
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

PreviousNext

Return to Invicta controversies