About 9937 bezel insert + crown

All things related to "SWISS" Invicta watches and Chinese movements

Re: About 9937 bezel insert + crown

Postby bedlam » October 18th 2014, 2:12am

Halcion1 wrote:Are all the members over 50 ? Just curious lol I'm 47 .

Not at all. There's a reasonable spread of ages.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » October 18th 2014, 5:39am

gerdson wrote:Still, I have never seen a doctor, supposedly a person of great intellectual power (unless his parents paid for the degree as well, not only the college), aimlessly getting stuck in such a way. :mrgreen:

Btw., stop talking about Your income or the 20K You try to spend. For one, it won't impress anyone, we all know how doctors screw the world, no need to remind us of the Porsche, we all helped to pay for. Next a lot here have military background, and - as the saying is - at best, the military won't let You starve, but it is basically paid poverty, and if You serve too long, You will never make it to the top (income-wise, that is). In fact I only know one here who really made it, and he had to die first. Third, a lot of people have to work a lot harder (including nurses, policemen and firemen), than any MD will ever know, and still contribute an important piece to society.

Now back to topic: I don't want to talk You into vintage watches, but read this article from Tony C on the "golden age of mechanical watch movements".:
http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-17/pi-5892538/ti-865583/s-0/t-horological-meandering-what-a-happy-marriage-is-it-possible/
Always remember, these were not carved out by multi-million full automatic CNC-machines. I am not saying everything is hand-made of course, industrial processing started pretty early in watchmaking:

Or check out this Caliber 89 from IWC:
from
http://forum.watchtime.ch/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62669&p=865846&hilit=iwc+89#p865846

20K could take You a long way.

I loved reading this, perfect.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » October 18th 2014, 6:14am

Hey Halcion1,

I too think you would love to own a Christopher Ward timepiece, one of the most underrated Luxury brands out there.

Though unsure how Maestro's thread turned into your "Welcome, Introduce Yourself" thread ---> viewforum.php?f=5 ,

welcome to WL.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 12:26pm

Thank you for your advice and suggestions guys I appreciate it . I have a question though . I just checked out Christopher ward and I love the simplicity of them . But many use the same sw200 movement that good old Invicta uses . So, same movement why not the same quality ?
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 18th 2014, 12:40pm

Halcion1 wrote:Thank you for your advice and suggestions guys I appreciate it . I have a question though . I just checked out Christopher ward and I love the simplicity of them . But many use the same sw200 movement that good old Invicta uses . So, same movement why not the same quality ?

Some companies like Christopher Ward take care in casing the movement and might even give it a basic "once over" to be sure it's within spec. (=/- 20 secs or so)
Others , like Invicta, just slap the movement in the case as fast as they can to get the watch on its way.

Think Quality Control.
Invicta is known , and it has been shown time and again, to ignore this aspect of business.
To quote an esteemed member from a forum long ago and far away-----Invicta =crapshoot.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Tzimisces » October 18th 2014, 12:41pm

Halcion1 wrote:Thank you for your advice and suggestions guys I appreciate it . I have a question though . I just checked out Christopher ward and I love the simplicity of them . But many use the same sw200 movement that good old Invicta uses . So, same movement why not the same quality ?

Depends on the care in which it is installed and regulated.

Foggy, that brainiac, beat me to it, and with a better post, dammit.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 1:26pm

I understand .. So if you happen to get a good Invicta,it's probably a good watch but you never know what you're getting . I plan on getting something really good. I like Arnold and Son too. Are there any indications I can look for in the Invicta 9937 that it will be a good watch? Like a time frame? Or should I send it back directly? I was thinking of giving it to my son when i upgrade.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gregl515 » October 18th 2014, 2:26pm

Most of us have or have had several Invictas. In my experience 9937s and 8926s are more likely to be good ones. The more complicated they get, the more likely they are to shit the bed.
"When you can't feel pain, you're dead!", Sgt. Laskodi, U.S.M.C.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker, U.S.M.C. (The Sands of Iwo Jima).
gregl515
WIS - Retired

Postby Mortuus » October 18th 2014, 2:29pm

Halcion1 wrote:I understand .. So if you happen to get a good Invicta,it's probably a good watch but you never know what you're getting . I plan on getting something really good. I like Arnold and Son too. Are there any indications I can look for in the Invicta 9937 that it will be a good watch? Like a time frame? Or should I send it back directly? I was thinking of giving it to my son when i upgrade.

I actually have a couple of the 9937's, the latest of which. as seen below --

-- is pretty much what I reach for if I've got work to do around the house or yard, or even the never-ending honey-do list. It isn't exactly a beater, but then I didn't pay full price for it (I used up all my eBay Bucks and got it for under $150), either. I agree with fogster and Tzimmy, though: it all really does come down to a lack of QC and far too much hurry on the part of Invicta to make it a 100%-of-the-time 'safe' bet. Still, I do like my original-sized (40mm), Swiss auto pro-divers I've picked up over the years, and I enjoy wearing them to this day. (Nothing's broken off or gone haywire as of yet, so I guess I've beaten the odds, to a certain degree... :mrgreen: )

FWIW, Dr. Hal, I'd recommend you keep it; it's a nice looking watch that holds its own, even with the longest of long honey-do lists... ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » October 18th 2014, 2:36pm

gregl515 wrote:Most of us have or have had several Invictas. In my experience 9937s and 8926s are more likely to be good ones. The more complicated they get, the more likely they are to shit the bed.

ZACKLY. :|
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 18th 2014, 3:04pm

Mortuus wrote:
gregl515 wrote:Most of us have or have had several Invictas. In my experience 9937s and 8926s are more likely to be good ones. The more complicated they get, the more likely they are to shit the bed.

That's a fact.

As for Hal: The guys here aren't steering you wrong. Invicter (we write it that way because one of us heard a caller to a TV watch show call it that, and was later immortalized by esteemed YouTube TV watch reviewer Eddie Phluff) has virtually no quality control or service after the sale, and who the heck knows where or by who it was made. Doesn't matter what the watch says on the front; chances on it was mass-produced in China. Invicta brags it sells watches by the hundreds of thousands; good watch companies brag their reasonable quantities are made in their own facilities more often than not. Bluntly, nobody here really cares if anyone else buys and likes Invicta - it's their choice. But those who make the mistake of getting all wrapped up in the brand, usually because it's cheaper, end up confused, ripped off, and bitter in the end.
Last edited by TemerityB on October 18th 2014, 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » October 18th 2014, 3:22pm

Not sure why we are still talking Invicta. Try:

Audemar Piguet Royal Oak
FP Journe Chronometre Bleu
Blancpain FF
Piaget Altiplano
ALS One
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 18th 2014, 4:11pm

iwasbanned wrote:Not sure why we are still talking Invicta. Try:

Audemar Piguet Royal Oak
Blancpain FF
Piaget Altiplano
ALS One

^^^
If Juan is recommending, and if you have the budget, Hal, go with what he says!

And Mort has nailed it on keeping the Invicta. If you like it, keep it. Just be aware of what it truly is and that its a crapshoot, as so many others have discussed.

There are a handful of guys here who posses an inordinately large amount of watch knowledge and experience. Is amazing considering how few members there are here.

Is most definitely quality over quantity here in the number of members and the watches collected here, by and large.
Last edited by biglove on October 18th 2014, 4:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » October 18th 2014, 4:12pm

iwasbanned wrote:Not sure why we are still talking Invicta. Try:

Audemar Piguet Royal Oak
Blancpain FF
Piaget Altiplano
ALS One

Thank you, Mr Banned! What the hell is going on here? Maestro ditch the Invickta and spend some of your stratospheric income on any of the above, or a Nautilus. FFS.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » October 18th 2014, 4:13pm

TemerityB wrote:
Mortuus wrote:

That's a fact.

As for Hal: The guys here aren't steering you wrong. Invicter (we write it that way because one of us heard a caller to a TV watch show call it that, and was later immortalized by esteemed YouTube TV watch reviewer Eddie Phluff) has virtually no quality control or service after the sale, and who the heck knows where or by who it was made. Doesn't matter what the watch says on the front; chances on it was mass-produced in China. Invicta brags it sells watches by the hundreds of thousands; good watch companies brag their reasonable quantities are made in their own facilities more often than not. Bluntly, nobody here really cares if anyone else buys and likes Invicta - it's their choice. But those who make the mistake of getting all wrapped up in the brand, usually because it's cheaper, end up confused, ripped off, and bitter in the end.

A humble sample:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeAdyA4gho[/youtube]
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 18th 2014, 4:30pm

Racer-X wrote:
A humble sample:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeAdyA4gho[/youtube]

Oh, Jeebus! I giggled, as so many times before, like a schoolgirl! How have I missed this Phluff?

So which one of us is, in fact, Phluff?!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 4:45pm

Lmfao omg that video is priceless! I had a patient that sounded just like that!! He had both Axis I and II DIAGNOSES. LOL. I think Iwasbanned is right, now we can finally drop Invicter.. And I will keep it anyway based on prior advice from those of you who own the watch. And I will check out the royal oak too. I've heard a lot about it actually.! And Jason I wish I had a stratospheric income! Thank you all again for helping me out. I thought I knew a lot about watches. I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » October 18th 2014, 5:01pm

jason_recliner wrote:Thank you, Mr Banned! What the hell is going on here? Maestro ditch the Invickta and spend some of your stratospheric income on any of the above, or a Nautilus. FFS.

He can't afford the Nautilus, even used. Maybe the poor man's Nautilus, the Aquanaut?

He makes Dartmouth money not Harvard/Princeton money.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 5:05pm

Oh and for whomever said they have never known a doctor be so aimlessly confused or whatever was stated.. Well you haven't known that many doctors have you lol possessing intellectual prowess doesn't preclude having little knowledge of the watch world. What a strange statement to make. It's time the personal cracks cease, don't you think? If you can't find anythjng useful to say, please refrain from saying anything at all.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 5:09pm

And you are correct I can't afford the Nautilus. Do you have one? also to.mortuus I like the strap on your invicta. Almost better than the metal bracelet. And once again something sharp and witty from Iwasbanned lmfao. I know, Dartmouth is low on the totem pole. I must have really struck a nerve with the aggie comments or were you the TAT comment lol that pleases me immensely
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DBCooper » October 18th 2014, 5:17pm

Can you please lol one more time for me...goober?
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » October 18th 2014, 5:26pm

Halcion1 wrote:I understand .. So if you happen to get a good Invicta,it's probably a good watch but you never know what you're getting . I plan on getting something really good. I like Arnold and Son too. Are there any indications I can look for in the Invicta 9937 that it will be a good watch? Like a time frame? Or should I send it back directly? I was thinking of giving it to my son when i upgrade.

The problem as foggy said is indeed a complete lack of quality control. It is difficult to have any control over manufacture when you don't have your own facilities, and the IWG has none. Invicta is basically a label, a jobber watch, that, given the volume they do, likely deals with many different factories, some better than others.

Most of the movements used are likely ebauches, unassembled kits, that get put together where the watches will be made versus arriving finished. This and related delicate procedures, the installing of hands for example, is where most of the problems occur in a lesser plant.

So, what the hell. Since you lucked out in the "crapshoot,"
the Pro Divers, especially the ones that work fairly well, are terrific watches for kids. Maybe you can get him interested before he gets hooked on using his phone or wants a fucking smart watch.
Last edited by 3Flushes on October 18th 2014, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » October 18th 2014, 5:27pm

Halcion1 wrote: I know, Dartmouth is low on the totem pole. I must have really struck a nerve with the aggie comments or were you the TAT comment lol that pleases me immensely

:P :P :P

I'm not Ivy League, just a lowly Aggie, can someone translate what the last sentence means. I'm sure it's me with the problem, you know, with my public education degree, undergrad at that. I struggle with sentence structure and syntax as was pointed out by Hal earlier. L O L

As far as the Nautilus, I don't own one yet, but will. I like the watches I have now and satisfied with them, best part, none are Invictas.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 5:27pm

The AP ROYAL oak is very nice.. I can't do the solid gold one but the stainless one is attainable. There are so many great watches.
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Halcion1 » October 18th 2014, 5:41pm

@iwasbanned what is the prize watch in your collection ?
Halcion1
Senior Member & WIS

PreviousNext

Return to Invicta controversies