Dumn Question

This forum is for Horology related reference information

Dumn Question

Postby tiktok » September 15th 2017, 8:01pm

Why do different watches with the same movement take significantly different amounts of time (turns of the crown) to wind. My new Damasko is fully wound after twenty turns while other watches may take forty or more cranks.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Dumn Question

Postby jaw » September 15th 2017, 8:10pm

Gear ratio perhaps?
Most of mine are 40ish except for Eterna Kontiki DIver, the power reserve indicator increases rapidly while winding.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » September 15th 2017, 9:20pm

Something I haven't thought of, Tikker. I have this OCD issue of winding 35 times. Have not noticed movements reaching the release point to prevent overwinding but have read that some movements can take 50 turns?
Last edited by biglove on September 15th 2017, 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 15th 2017, 10:03pm

I'm not too familiar with Damasko but my guess is that they made a modification to the keyless (winding) works corresponding to an improvement in the mainspring, balance wheel/cock//staff/spring, or whatnot down the energy, keyless, and regulating train. A good brand like Damasko (or a Timeless collaboration, as I recall, you got the LE with the blue seconds hand) could make any number of mods to improve whatever they're using, frequently the venerable 2836-2, meticulously regulated.

MK is likely the one around here who'd know for certain what, if any, mods they do- perhaps he'll punch in and give us the definitive answer or pop him over a PM.
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 16th 2017, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 15th 2017, 11:13pm

Perhaps a redesigned crown wheel and ratchet wheel... Never really looked into Damasko. As to possible modifications to the keyless works - perhaps check for differences in how many turns does it take to advance the time by the same amount (say, an hour). Just an idea of mine, not sure if it will yield any results.

Also, the size of the crown matters...

Oh, and by the way - there are some very different opinions on the safety on hand-winding the derivatives of the 2824 (2836 included). For one, I can recall Dr. Ranfft warning against that, as he allegedly messed up a 2824 by manually winding it. How did that happen - don't ask me, as I don't pretend to know.

Also, keep in mind, that the same movement can have a different mainspring barrel design - at lest in terms of anti-overwinding protection (bridle moving from notch to notch, stuff like that). So, the resistance on the crown may feel different in what theoretically is the same movement, should the manufacturer decide to do a proper modification. Also, keep in mind, that the barrel of an automatic is very different from a hand-wound one. In a hand-winder, you just have the bridle sitting in one place, so when the spring is fully wound, you just can't turn the crown any more. In an automatic, the overwind protection must allow the barrel to turn, as while on the wrist, the rotor (via the entire train of winding gears) will keep turning it anyway.
I think it would be a good idea to contact Damasko - if they have modifications to brag about, why wouldn't they?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to All about Horology