Missing my old watchmaker

This forum is for Horology related reference information

Missing my old watchmaker

Postby tiktok » August 28th 2017, 9:27pm

When I was living in Seattle ten years ago I met a watchmaker at one of those mall kiosks. He was in his final year at N Seattle Community College's watch making program, one of the crew and best watch trade schools. He was just dying to take apart and reassemble watches. He was charging me $40 for a complete servicing and I just kept bringing him watches. Prices a little different nowadays in New York but that's expected.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Missing my old watchmaker

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 29th 2017, 1:39pm

$40 is roughly what my watchmaker takes for a service. Well, it's more if anything needs to be replaced (mainspring, balance staff...).

I also remember one guy on WUS, who had his watches serviced by an Amish watchmaker, who also charged $40 - and if to believe him, the man could really pull off true miracles with restoring pocket watch movements.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » August 29th 2017, 1:45pm

Jeebus guys!! Send me their numbers. Around these parts you are lucky to drop less than 3 figures on any automatic watch that requires the caseback be removed.

I did try someone other than my regular guy ,on a whim, to get a crown replaced because I was curious and got a quote of 50 bucks.
Total hack job and still needs repair but I don't want my regular guy to get pissed. So it's still in the drawer of attention needing watches.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Thunder1 » August 29th 2017, 2:21pm

foghorn wrote:Jeebus guys!! Send me their numbers. Around these parts you are lucky to drop less than 3 figures on any automatic watch that requires the caseback be removed.

I did try someone other than my regular guy ,on a whim, to get a crown replaced because I was curious and got a quote of 50 bucks.
Total hack job and still needs repair but I don't want my regular guy to get pissed. So it's still in the drawer of attention needing watches.

Same here..name and phone #, please..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » August 29th 2017, 3:39pm

My guy now works as Rolex technician in Honolulu.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » August 29th 2017, 3:59pm

I sent my watches home for service/repair for 36 years until macular degeneration forced my watchmaker to retire. He was in business for 53 years and was the only watchmaker I'd ever done business with.

Found a local guy downtown but it's just not the same.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 29th 2017, 4:08pm

Thunder1 wrote:
foghorn wrote:Jeebus guys!! Send me their numbers. Around these parts you are lucky to drop less than 3 figures on any automatic watch that requires the caseback be removed.

Same here..name and phone #, please..

For one you'd need to send the watches across the Atlantic, and the Amish guy - I've heard about him, but that's that. Besides, the Amish don't use telephones, do they?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » August 29th 2017, 6:59pm

tok could probably inform you better than I could, but we have a lot of good watchmakers here in NYC, with a few I trust - but none of them are anything even remotely close to the amazing prices that tok paid. I read it and I'm agog.

There's a guy on 47th we've been using, but I've never had him do a traditional interval service. I don't mind paying, but to me the big factor is a quality service job.
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby ocean » August 29th 2017, 7:05pm

What kind of watch foggy I might be able to help you out of your jam.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » August 29th 2017, 7:35pm

Around these parts you're lucky to find a watchmaker.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » August 29th 2017, 7:46pm

Tzimisces wrote:Around these parts you're lucky to find a watchmaker.

Same here. There is one Rolex certified fellow with a backlog and he has got to be in his 80s.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » August 29th 2017, 9:25pm

The guy who was in watch school took apart and put together my Nienaber Retrolator:
Jumping hour regulator in the 12 position
Retrograde minute hands
Subsidiary seconds hand
Completely reworked A Schild 1130 movement
Hand wound mechanical movement with a 46 h reserve

So he said it was a very brilliant yet simple mod of movement that basically died with the rise of quartz.. All I know is most watchmakers today would act like there's an R8 under the hood and jack you accordingly. $40 freaking bucks to me.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to All about Horology