Orange Watch company - still viable?

Orange Watch company - still viable?

Postby koimaster » January 10th 2017, 10:30am

The website is up but I have not heard about them in years.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxasiBw9A7o[/youtube]

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Orange Watch company - still viable?

Postby eddiea » January 10th 2017, 10:57am

Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » January 10th 2017, 11:02am

eddiea wrote:Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....

I just wrote them a note to see what was going on. Their website commented that they had to find another source of movements as their previous supplier raised the prices too high.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby eddiea » January 10th 2017, 11:29am

koimaster wrote:
eddiea wrote:Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....

I just wrote them a note to see what was going on. Their website commented that they had to find another source of movements as their previous supplier raised the prices too high.

Mine have an excellent Soprod!
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 10th 2017, 11:51am

I've honestly heard nothing but great things about OWC, which is located in New Zealand or Sumatra or some fucking place down there.

Unlike most micros, the guy who runs it (his name escapes me, but it probably starts with Bruce) is said to be very upfront about how long it takes to get one of his watches--and as Eddie states above, it can take a long time indeed--but OWC won't take payment until the watch is ready to ship.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » January 10th 2017, 6:30pm

eddiea wrote:
koimaster wrote:

Mine have an excellent Soprod!

Seiko for the win!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » January 10th 2017, 6:40pm

conjurer wrote:I've honestly heard nothing but great things about OWC, which is located in New Zealand or Sumatra or some fucking place down there.

Unlike most micros, the guy who runs it (his name escapes me, but it probably starts with Bruce) is said to be very upfront about how long it takes to get one of his watches--and as Eddie states above, it can take a long time indeed--but OWC won't take payment until the watch is ready to ship.

Dan has a slightly different business model to every other stinking micro. He has already made his money, so he isn't trying to get a bunch of WUS / WF / DWC simps to bankroll a shitty catalog watch. Rather, he is making the watch he wants to make, and selling to whomever shares his vision. Unfortunately for Dan (and prospective customers) he is very fussy and so there are many delays while he finds the right suppliers, tweaks the designs based on prototypes he receives, etc, etc.

He makes a great watch, but it's probably a lot less stressful to pick some parts out of a catalogue, hash together a piss-poor web page, and upload it to kickstarter.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » January 10th 2017, 7:06pm

A 40.5mm with a Soprod. I would love that movement and that size would be a great fit for me. I think this just made my list.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » January 11th 2017, 11:46am

I reached out to Dan at OWC and received this response-

Hi Alain

Yes mate I am very much alive, well and selling our 6th MilSub release and soon to have a new model in the market.

2016 was a little quiet as I suffered concussion from an ice staking incident and spent some time in the hospital. Aside from the sore head and some sinus complications, all is good.

2017 will see the continuation of the 6th version of the MilSub. I will introduce a non-crown guard ISO-MS-6538. ISO is my "In the Spirit Of" line that takes it inspiration from past classics.

I did revamp my website, but there is never enough re-vamping and I am not good with websites.... http://www.orangewatchcompany.com

Australia is currently rolling out what most countries would consider so-so and very average internet speeds. But slightly better than before and more expensive and probably less reliable. I am now on the super internet, but suffered most days with no connection. Perhaps they should have just stuck with the old tin and string.

Thank you for touching base.

Regards

Dan

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Military Style Watches