The Military Diver’s Watch – A Revisionist View

The Military Diver’s Watch – A Revisionist View

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2016, 10:25am

For over fifty years, it has been the accepted knowledge that the history of the diving watch is intimately coupled to the history of recreational diving. Both Rolex & Blancpain (who equally claim to have invented the diver’s watch) use the introduction of the SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) as the driving force behind the demand for divers’ watches; I hope to show that this commonly held theory is untrue. The prime impetus for the development of the diver’s watch was (and has continued to be) the needs of combat swimmers in the armed forces of the developed world’s nations.

In this article, I will take watches from every decade from the 1930s up until the 1980s and show how the needs of combat swimmers forced the development of watches we now consider iconic.

1930s – the Officine Panerai

It is now universally accepted that the first ever pure diving watch were the Panerais used by the Italians in the early days of the war. What is not so well known is that they were essentially Rolex model 3646 with a special dial made by Panerai. These were used by members of the elite Decima Flottiglia MAS (usually shortened to ‘X Flotmas’); who rode the Italians’ secret weapon, the SLC (siluri a lenta corsa or “slow-running torpedoes”); although the men who had to use them commonly called them ‘Maiali’ (pigs or swine). The British, who were the main targets of these weapons, called them ‘Human Torpedoes’ after capturing several of them.

http://www.timezone.com/2012/07/07/the- ... s-dowling/

The Military Diver a Revised Viiew.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Military Diver’s Watch – A Revisionist View

Postby biglove » May 31st 2016, 2:34pm

I have not the time, energy or desire to fact check the author. I will presume he is full of poo in that he credits Panerai with the first true dive watch.

I refuse to believe that a brand fueled by pork pie hat wearing, hipster dufii, with their lack of taste and style, is responsible for any watch innovation, ever!

Of course not every Panerai owner fits this description, as is obvious by our few members here who own the only decent watch, with the white dial, that the company makes.

Fuck Panerai.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 31st 2016, 2:48pm

James Dowling isn't full of poo and the thought of you "fact checking" his writing is humorous at best.
The Panerai he refers to isn't the Stallone version. Did you read the piece? Or just offer the usual pontification?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2016, 2:53pm

The History Of Dive Watches.pdf

History of Dive watches which is different than military dive watches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby eddiea » May 31st 2016, 3:11pm

biglove wrote:I have not the time, energy or desire to fact check the author. I will presume he is full of poo in that he credits Panerai with the first true dive watch.
I refuse to believe that a brand fueled by pork pie hat wearing, hipster dufii, with their lack of taste and style, is responsible for any watch innovation, ever!
Of course not every Panerai owner fits this description, as is obvious by our few members here who own the only decent watch, with the white dial, that the company makes.
Fuck Panerai.

BL , not quite sure you realize your post qualified for the worst reply this year here...
Do you actually do your homework before posting this intelligence insulting nonsense shit , or is a slow day by you...?
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » May 31st 2016, 3:29pm

Actually, the article was very interesting, with info that I didn't know about before.
Appreciate the post and will share at BDWF.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2016, 3:40pm

JAS1125 wrote:Actually, the article was very interesting, with info that I didn't know about before.

John,

anything on this forum can be shared at BDWF by you or other members. No attribution needed. We might get a bad rep if anyone knew we actually had information here. :lol:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » May 31st 2016, 3:57pm

koimaster wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:Actually, the article was very interesting, with info that I didn't know about before.

John,

anything on this forum can be shared at BDWF by you or other members. No attribution needed. We might get a bad rep if anyone knew we actually had information here. :lol:

Thanks Alain....I'll be the Propaganda Minister this week :mrgreen:
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » May 31st 2016, 6:50pm

biglove wrote:I have not the time, energy or desire to fact check the author. I will presume he is full of poo in that he credits Panerai with the first true dive watch.

Fuck Panerai.

Just raising hell for the sake of it.

"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Military Style Watches