So, what is the criteria for a "military" watch?

So, what is the criteria for a "military" watch?

Postby Luftwafflles » March 5th 2016, 2:22pm

A lot of companies make a black watch, and call it military. Or even worse, "combat". Does tritium tubes make a watch mitary oriented? Water resistance, in which case all dive watches are military. Are all pilot watches military? All black g shocks? I can't imagine anyone taking a 52mm-55mm U-Boat into action. Is a watch military because the company claims it is? How is a Marathon more military than a Seiko? Panerais are based on Italian navy heritage. Does that mean they have to change sides if confronted? These are the questions that I ponder at 3am. (not really, I'm fast asleep dreaming of a twenty year old Ann Margaret with a five foot tongue polishing my vinegary scrotum)
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Re: So, what is the criteria for a "military" watch?

Postby JAS1125 » March 5th 2016, 2:42pm

I always thought a 24 hour time scale on the dial would put it in the military category
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » March 5th 2016, 2:44pm

From WUS -

To me a military watch is one that is either issued to a country's armed forces under contract or purchased and worn by military personnel regardless of make, type or price. By that definition, any brand of watch can be considered a military watch if worn in active duty by a soldier, sailor, marine, airman or pilot.

I live in a town right outside a major US Army base and my job requires me to interact with many of the troops stationed there. I can tell you that in the last 10 years of working amongst them I have only seen 2 or 3 with actual US Army issue Marathon watches. The vast majority wear privately purchase watches as suits their fancy so long as they conform to the standards of their unit. By far, the most popular watches I see on the wrists of service men and women are various Casios, mostly G-Shocks as well as Timex Triathalons closely followed by various Suunto models and other brands like Luminox, Seiko, Swiss Army, Pulsar, even inexpensive Armitron watches.

All that said, there are military-style watches that share similar characteristics with issue models (old and new) such as subdued finishes, 24 hour indicators, tritium or other lume, water resistance, shock resistance, etc.. However, you'll find a lot of marketing hype involved in promoting watches with a so-called "tactical" look to appeal to male egos.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/what-ma ... 37850.html

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... -just-that

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby biglove » March 5th 2016, 3:12pm

Read a story years back about a US Army veteran getting his ass chewed out due to the lume on his watch during the war.

Seems that little bit of glow is visible a mile or more away on a jungle assed, third world country night in the middle of nowhere.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » March 5th 2016, 3:47pm

biglove wrote:Read a story years back about a US Army veteran getting his ass chewed out due to the lume on his watch during the war.

Seems that little bit of glow is visible a mile or more away on a jungle assed, third world country night in the middle of nowhere.

A lot of guys wear something like this in the field, it has a velcro cover over the top to hide the lume.

Lume and smoking cigarettes at night are bad things for ground troops, very bad.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » March 5th 2016, 10:51pm

You can hear velcro being opened at least 2 miles even in the first world assed woods, in the middle of the night...
The whole velcro shit is not suitable for stealth missions.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 6th 2016, 7:12pm

Very interesting stuff from all quarters here. It's really interesting to consider the mindset of troops, and what tools they find best to use. The two young men I know who were in the military recently both wore G Shocks.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » March 6th 2016, 7:17pm

koimaster wrote:From WUS -
To me a military watch is one that is either issued to a country's armed forces under contract or purchased and worn by military personnel regardless of make, type or price.

That's pretty much ...it.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » March 6th 2016, 10:14pm

gerdson wrote:You can hear velcro being opened at least 2 miles even in the first world assed woods, in the middle of the night...
The whole velcro shit is not suitable for stealth missions.

It wasn't opened in the field, the top cover was just pulled over for a quick time check. I agree with velcro being the dumbest in the field. Out ACU's had velcro on the pockets, they made more noise than stomping your feet. I could never figure out how we were the best Army in the world when we were run by dumb asses.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby IanC » March 6th 2016, 11:34pm

This is a fairly difficult question to answer. Many watch manufacturers such as G-Shock are not actually manufacturing watches specifically for military use but that does not detract from the fact that they are a watch of choice by many serving military and are extremely robust and fit for purpose. Other manufacturers such as Marathon, MWC, CWC etc are purely military and SAR orientated. If I had to define it I would say it requires a clear dial, robust casing, low maintenance e.g 10 year Ronda 715li movement and non reflective sand blasted or satin case.
IanC
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » March 7th 2016, 12:17am

IanC wrote:This is a fairly difficult question to answer. Many watch manufacturers such as G-Shock are not actually manufacturing watches specifically for military use but that does not detract from the fact that they are a watch of choice by many serving military and are extremely robust and fit for purpose. Other manufacturers such as Marathon, MWC, CWC etc are purely military and SAR orientated. If I had to define it I would say it requires a clear dial, robust casing, low maintenance e.g 10 year Ronda 715li movement and non reflective sand blasted or satin case.

Welcome to the forum. Ian is the author of the blog where the OP came from.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby biglove » March 7th 2016, 4:52am

Welcome, Ian.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » March 7th 2016, 8:28am

Military watch? Stocker & Yale "Sandy".
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » March 7th 2016, 2:52pm

The next door neighbor an O5 helo driver gave me a G shock that he said was pilot issue.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » March 7th 2016, 5:19pm

Wasp wrote:The next door neighbor an O5 helo driver gave me a G shock that he said was pilot issue.

Indeed, some G's are military (and NASA) issued...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » March 7th 2016, 5:26pm

As for the best army in the world that would be the IDF....the brass in the Israeli army had Eterna Kon Tikis and the navy had Zodiac divers.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Military Style Watches