The Panerai PAM 671 Luminor Submersible

The Panerai PAM 671 Luminor Submersible

Postby koimaster » January 24th 2017, 9:37am

When it was first released in 2011, Panerai’s Bronzo was a really big deal. It was a big deal to Panerai enthusiasts, who feel very strongly about the company’s diving history, and who unanimously enjoy the sight of a vintage piece that's received a bit of abuse through the years. And it was also a big deal to Panerai itself, which was one of the first companies to faithfully recreate the time-weathered effect by finding the right mix of alloys for an appropriate bronze.

It was also, like almost all bronze watches that have come out in recent years, a commercial success. All 1,000 pieces were quickly snapped up by the Paneristi community, and its popularity is, I am sure, one of the reasons Panerai has decided to bring it back in the same case so soon after its initial launch. It’s good news then for those who missed out on the first model, though I’m not sure those who purchased the first run will necessarily see it that way.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/paner ... 1cc48dd36b

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Panerai PAM 671 Luminor Submersible

Postby eddiea » January 24th 2017, 6:11pm

Amazingly cool.... 8-)
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » January 24th 2017, 9:02pm

Yup. I need to sell some watches and buy this one
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby jaw » January 24th 2017, 9:06pm

Sorry, I could never get past the silly bezel markers on the Submersibles (and I really tried). Probably a fine watch otherwise.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 24th 2017, 9:17pm

jaw wrote:Sorry, I could never get past the silly bezel markers on the Submersibles (and I really tried). Probably a fine watch otherwise.

I know a whole bunch of people in real-time that are just nutty about Panerai. I read about them and it's hard not to admire the brand and the quality. They deserve their status in the watch world.

And for some reason, they're just not on my radar. Again, nothing wrong; I guess it's the type of styling you either like or don't, and I'm in the latter category. But wow, are they popular here in NYC. I see so many of them in Manhattan, almost on a par with Rolex.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby jaw » January 24th 2017, 9:30pm

I'm very hot for Panerai (for a long time), just not the Submersible.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » January 24th 2017, 9:31pm

jaw wrote:Sorry, I could never get past the silly bezel markers on the Submersibles (and I really tried). Probably a fine watch otherwise.

I used to think the same. But the PAM024 changed my mind and now they don't look so bad. I think it looks even better in person.

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby jaw » January 24th 2017, 9:50pm

iwasbanned wrote:

I used to think the same. But the PAM024 changed my mind and now they don't look so bad. I think it looks even better in person.

It's the designer in me that isn't convinced (which is more of a curse). Specifically, the bezel markers are too small in proportion to the allotted bezel width, The non-uniform bezel marker size is visually uncomfortable, even though they reserve the larger markers for the 15-minute marks. Speaking of which, the area of the larger markers aren't large enough to comfortably accommodate the numbers within them. Hence, the number font in each marker read anemic, forced, and incommensurate for such a powerful case statement. If they were all the same size as the quarter hour markers it might work, but I'd have to see it. I would try making them all the smaller size, nix the text, and first 15min linear indices, but that would make it less of a true diver right? See the problem? In short, it's a cluster in need of a total redesign. Sorry, I just can't help myself - but that's what they pay me for. Hope I didn't ruin it for you Juan.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » January 25th 2017, 7:21am

jaw wrote:Hope I didn't ruin it for you Juan.

No worries Jeffrey. I can honestly say you are completely wrong :). Can I put you into a Subzilla:

or maybe a "La Bomba" which might address some of your concerns.

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby spanky1 » January 25th 2017, 7:41am

iwasbanned wrote:

No worries Jeffrey. I can honestly say you are completely wrong :). Can I put you into a Subzilla:

Awesome, I'm experiencing jealousy.
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » January 25th 2017, 11:56am

iwasbanned wrote:

Huh...Subzilla is much better, despite getting rather busy.
Obviously, some Italian designer shared my revulsion and attempted to fix it. :D
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » January 25th 2017, 4:09pm

jaw wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:

Obviously, some Italian designer shared my revulsion and attempted to fix it. :D

I think Jeffrey that although I agree with some of your designer points (when taking individually) the 671 is a watch that have to be hold to appreciate, all that incongruent and out of proportion details at first glance, are coming togheter and works as a whole ... it is a beautiful piece, bronze/1950 case doesn't get any sexier or cool.....
Last edited by eddiea on January 25th 2017, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » January 25th 2017, 4:24pm

I can get any Panerai at pretty deep discount. My problem is the readability of the dial. Tobacco dials are like watching a drive in movie with all the windows steamed up. What is the most legible Panerai that is under $20k msrp and 44mm or less. Damned if the prices didn't go up since last time I looked
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » January 25th 2017, 4:32pm

tiktok wrote:I can get any Panerai at pretty deep discount. My problem is the readability of the dial. Tobacco dials are like watching a drive in movie with all the windows steamed up. What is the most legible Panerai that is under $20k msrp and 44mm or less. Damned if the prices didn't go up since last time I looked

How deep? How much can you help me get that Bronzo for? I'll give you 10% of however much you save me, deal?
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » January 25th 2017, 5:04pm

Come on man, aren't those presold out?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 25th 2017, 5:49pm

tiktok wrote: Damned if the prices didn't go up since last time I looked

You're so right about that. Watch shopped this past weekend, wife digging Pans, and everything seems to be up, just slightly, but up nonetheless.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby jaw » January 25th 2017, 6:44pm

eddiea wrote:
jaw wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:

I think Jeffrey that although I agree with some of your designer points (when taking individually) the 671 is a watch that have to be hold to appreciate, all that incongruent and out of proportion details at first glance, are coming togheter and works as a whole ... it is a beautiful piece, bronze/1950 case doesn't get any sexier or cool.....

My totally subjective critique may resonate with some but certainly not all. Again, probably a fine watch otherwise. I prefer the simpler Panerai designs Luminor and Radiomir. Wish I could find a PAM422 in a 44mm case. Don't care for the thicker Fiddy cases.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » January 25th 2017, 6:45pm

iwasbanned wrote:
tiktok wrote:I can get any Panerai at pretty deep discount. My problem is the readability of the dial. Tobacco dials are like watching a drive in movie with all the windows steamed up. What is the most legible Panerai that is under $20k msrp and 44mm or less. Damned if the prices didn't go up since last time I looked

How deep? How much can you help me get that Bronzo for? I'll give you 10% of however much you save me, deal?

Yeah tik, how deep on a 422 for instance?
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » January 25th 2017, 6:49pm

^^^^ Jaw, I have to go to the watch spa next Wednesday so I'll stop by the boys and see what they can do.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Officine Panerai