the magic in the words marina-militaire

the magic in the words marina-militaire

Postby koimaster » August 15th 2016, 6:31pm

Beyond the fabled 1993 ref. 5128/202 A and the 1999 PAM 36B, there are a total of four other modern watches that have worn the words ‘Marina Militare’ on their dials. Each of them is interesting in a certain way. For instance, the 2005 PAM 217 Destro represents a large milestone in Panerai design. The 2010 PAM 339 was a major achievement in case-material innovation that was not without its initial challenges. And finally the 2015 PAM 587, which has become the darling of the Panerai-collecting scene, could well be one of the most beautiful Panerais ever made. But before we look at each of these, let’s discuss a watch that represented a highly unique aesthetic execution.

https://www.revolution.watch/the-magic- ... -militare/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Postby foghorn » August 15th 2016, 6:44pm

No mention of drudy or the Lum-Tec douche??
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby tiktok » August 15th 2016, 7:44pm

Panerai is an homage of Marina Militare, no?

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » August 15th 2016, 8:09pm

IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.

Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.

We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby SN13 » August 15th 2016, 9:08pm

I personally agree. I await their inevitable downfall and the ability to purchase one at a proper $700-$1500.
SN13
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » August 16th 2016, 4:57am

tiktok wrote:Panerai is an homage of Marina Militare, no?

Marina Militare is a trademark of Panerai.....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » August 16th 2016, 5:16am

IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Most brands are "overrated" these days......

Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.
Most brands have minimal changes (if any) between models and stupid prices , think Rolex as an example...unlike other fashion wannabes, there is a reason for Panerai "oversized cases" as the current Co. pay homage the original historical models that were, take a guess..... "oversized", aside from that cushion cases are one of the the sexiest cases ever produced , is a matter of personal taste

"We" are way too many people, when I compare watches/ Invicta never comes to mind but, if they start making a watch with a nice cushion case and decent quality , I'll be buying one for sure
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Wasp » August 16th 2016, 6:03am

587 checks many of my boxes.

My poor mans version.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 16th 2016, 7:30am

"THE MAGIC IN THE WORDS ‘MARINA MILITARE’"

I honestly have no opinion about Panerai or Marina Militare; I don't like the style, so I don't pay them any mind. Far from me to piss on anyone's corn flakes (though my wife wouldn't mind me owning one, I just have no interest).

That being noted: That's the gheyest headline in the history of horology. It makes conj's "thick, ropey boners" read like Faulkner.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » August 16th 2016, 7:45am

Pannys give me thick, ropey boners!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 16th 2016, 8:25am

eddiea wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Most brands are "overrated" these days......

Most brands have minimal changes (if any) between models and stupid prices , think Rolex as an example...unlike other fashion wannabes, there is a reason for Panerai "oversized cases" as the current Co. pay homage the original historical models that were, take a guess..... "oversized", aside from that cushion cases are one of the the sexiest cases ever produced , is a matter of personal taste

"We" are way too many people, when I compare watches/ Invicta never comes to mind but, if they start making a watch with a nice cushion case and decent quality , I'll be buying one for sure

Damnit! This is no place for reasonable discourse! ;)
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 8:54am

biglove wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.

What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

8 day power reserve with linear indicator
    Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 16th 2016, 11:56am

Great tech, IWB, but every damned one of them looks the same to me. At least Rolex, Omega and to a somewhat lesser degree, Breitling, offer different models and case designs.

I could look at a collection of twenty Panerais and barring dial colors, they are essentially the same watch case of different sizes. And the prices, hell no!

To me it is what Omega would be if they only sold Moon Watches. Yeah, there are subtle differences; but, damn!
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » August 16th 2016, 12:32pm

iwasbanned wrote:
biglove wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.

What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF

It would look much cooler on my wrist... 8-)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 1:01pm

biglove wrote:Great tech, IWB, but every damned one of them looks the same to me. At least Rolex, Omega and to a somewhat lesser degree, Breitling, offer different models and case designs.

I could look at a collection of twenty Panerais and barring dial colors, they are essentially the same watch case of different sizes. And the prices, hell no!

To me it is what Omega would be if they only sold Moon Watches. Yeah, there are subtle differences; but, damn!

Looking the same is a very fair critique and I would agree with you on it for the most part. I don't know that that alone qualifies them as overrated. Actually I don't even know that they are "highly rated" to be overrated. Any hoot, the 233 is 44mm and this beast is 47, to me they are different enough to coexist in my collection:

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » August 16th 2016, 1:24pm

I like them and their history, I could never pull one off, but I enjoy seeing them on the wrists of others. Sly's boost helped them out in getting their name more known, but they always offered a good watch. Their history with Rolex is one that other watch companies would kill for.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » August 16th 2016, 1:27pm

iwasbanned wrote:What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF

Well if you put it that way it provides some context.

Now it's a smooth 45,000.00 less than the Seiko 8-day spring drive and only 3,000.00 more than the Chr. Ward C9 5-day.

I notice the triple barrel trick is the same tech deployed on the spring drive.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 1:58pm

svaglic wrote:I like them and their history, I could never pull one off, but I enjoy seeing them on the wrists of others. Sly's boost helped them out in getting their name more known, but they always offered a good watch. Their history with Rolex is one that other watch companies would kill for.

The Panerai of today does have at least a tenous tie to it's former self. And yes, Sly did help them out quite a bit, but he is part of the reason many consider tehm overrated.

A former Italian naval officer and engineer, Dino Zei, became the first non-Panerai to lead the company since its 1860 inception. From 1972 through the early 1990s, Zei directed the company to focus on remaining opportunities in the fields of dive tools, aerospace components, and radio equipment. With the exception of prototyping several pioneering titanium dive models, watchmaking activities effectively ceased.

1993 marked the dawn of the modern era for Officine Panerai. Having assumed that name during the early Zei era, the one-time watchmaker realized that its military legacy could secure it a niche in the resurgent market for upscale mechanical watches. Having witnessed Rolex’s emergence on the strength of its dive models, Panerai raided its back catalog of tactical products and prototypes to deliver the first branded consumer watches in the firm’s 133-year history.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » August 16th 2016, 4:20pm

Vintage Pre-Vs are awesome, today's watches look pretty cool if you separate them from who is often wearing them. Definitely overpriced for a brand that has no legacy of in-house manufacture and barely decorates their movements. Personally I think a pink gold Radiomir looks pretty amazing on the wrist but would put such funds elsewhere into a brand with cooler technology or classic simplicity.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » August 16th 2016, 8:35pm

I have this here Pan errrrr eye. I like it. Did pay too much for it. Great attention to detail.

I really like it on the canvas strap.
Probably wearing it when I go to Disneyland next week.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » August 16th 2016, 10:08pm

Just a little perspective, movement on $9000 Panerai:

Movement on similarly priced JLC:

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Officine Panerai