Radiomir Panerai PAM 424 Updated

Radiomir Panerai PAM 424 Updated

Postby koimaster » September 23rd 2014, 10:56am

This is a significant move on many levels and I offer my design insight and opinion on a purely constructive basis. I never liked the the original PAM 424 since I thought having a date on the dial ruined the beautiful balance and symmetry of the Art-Deco California dial. Arguably the true beauty of the "California" dial is that it is already sufficiently complicated looking with its existing visual complexity.

Also, there is a rule in graphic-art design, which makes a lot of sense, that says, on any object, there should NEVER be more than two different typefaces, and by having the Arabic typeface on the date wheel, it adds visual conflict that overcomplicates the dial and makes it look way too busy.

http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/search ... nia%20Dial

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Radiomir Panerai PAM 424 Updated

Postby eddiea » September 23rd 2014, 4:22pm

koimaster wrote:This is a significant move on many levels and I offer my design insight and opinion on a purely constructive basis. I never liked the the original PAM 424 since I thought having a date on the dial ruined the beautiful balance and symmetry of the Art-Deco California dial. Arguably the true beauty of the "California" dial is that it is already sufficiently complicated looking with its existing visual complexity.
Also, there is a rule in graphic-art design, which makes a lot of sense, that says, on any object, there should NEVER be more than two different typefaces, and by having the Arabic typeface on the date wheel, it adds visual conflict that overcomplicates the dial and makes it look way too busy.
http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/search ... nia%20Dial

In my opinion the 424 without the logo, would have look much cleaner ......
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Return to Officine Panerai