And what's the deal with Panerai?

And what's the deal with Panerai?

Postby eddiea » February 2nd 2014, 3:50pm

4/5 thousand dollars for a "base" model?, meaning for your 4/5G's you'll get a mildly improved and decorated $200.00 Unitas movement in a case that is not even hand made in Florence, Italy anymore ?
Recently I started to research a bit about the brand and the world of Panerai , while contemplating buying a pre-loved Radiomir model that looks a bit different than the Luminor series although it has to be said, that they all look pretty much the same, regardless of what the hard core "paneristi" folks may said at the end of the day.
The arrival of the manufacture (in-house) movements have indeed improved the odds but still...is it just the brand name prestige? a tool watch for the posers (non counting the minority true WIS of course) marketing shit?
What's the forum take?
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: And what's the deal with Panerai?

Postby bedlam » February 2nd 2014, 4:15pm

Yeah, I don't get them at all. They might just be the worst value for money in the watch world IMO.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » February 2nd 2014, 4:22pm

I go hot and cold. Tried on a manual wind Ti Radiomir last year and was very smitten. But it didn't last.

The straps are lovely!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » February 2nd 2014, 4:25pm

Have never understood the appeal of Panerai - or the fanatical loyalty of the owners.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » February 2nd 2014, 6:10pm

While I like the simple design I find the price preposterous. So I'll stick with Fossil.

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby abduksion » February 2nd 2014, 6:43pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw[/youtube]
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby jaw » February 2nd 2014, 6:58pm

It was love at first sight for me.
Now even more with the 1950 cases and P.900x movements.
Coveting the PAM 329 at present.

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » February 2nd 2014, 7:08pm

They look comical to me. If it were Invicta that made them people would be all over them. They are large and goofy looking.

Not that I know squat about watches but I know for sure when I am getting screwed...
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » February 2nd 2014, 7:26pm

I love the looks, hate the prices. Dislike their strategy of adding vintage lume gold hands calling it limited edition and upcharging $2K. I'm currently jonesing for a submersible a la the 243.

My understanding is that they are getting rid of all non in-house movements, of course this only means a base will cost $6-7K. They are creeping up there near AP price points.

Want to see what the watch snob thinks?

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watc ... lenge.html

Having said all that, I love my 372.

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » February 2nd 2014, 7:40pm

That's a beauty Juan.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Jamesbee » February 2nd 2014, 7:44pm

Never understood them either. When the topic of watches comes up with among watch guys, they all seem to love panerai without really knowing why.
Decyded to Put down battal of The somme wead killar - Conjurer
Jamesbee
Watchlord WIS

Postby Don Barzini » February 2nd 2014, 8:15pm

I tried, dear God I tried! First a 320, then a 287 and finally a 50. None lasted more than a month. Boring, so...very...boring.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » February 2nd 2014, 8:24pm

foghorn wrote:That's a beauty Juan.

Ditto. Not really my tastes, but that's fucking quality, that is.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » February 2nd 2014, 9:09pm

Never did understand the allure but then again, I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to watches. If I want to buy a watch with a base ETA movement, the price damn well better reflect that. It takes an in house movement or something else truly special for me to even begin to justify spending that kind of money. Money in the bank gives me a warmer fuzzier feeling than any watch can.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Luftwafflles » February 2nd 2014, 9:43pm

Price wise, they are way out of my league. But I think they are one fucking cool looking watch. Since their standard size seems to be 44mm, with their largest 47mm, I'm not sure it's fair to call them Invicta size. Well, maybe Invicta mid-sized.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » February 3rd 2014, 1:08am

I'm not crazy about the Rad cases and they had some crown/stem issues. Sometimes there were gaps when the crown was pushed in that I believe had to do with the stem seal, and there was a tendency for them to become cross threaded if they weren't wound backwards half a turn while pushing down before screwing down the crown; I've always done so with all my screw down crowns and I've never cross threaded one. The Unitas movements are highly re-worked and I think most were modified with swans'-neck regulators; they can be a pain in the ass to regulate, but run really well for long periods between once they're clickin'. I like the old school stuffed dials on the classics, too. If you like them, I wouldn't let the 6497 stop you; I think they are worth the skins if you can find someone willing to deal.

Since you mentioned the in-house movements...

I discovered Panerai late in the game and I like the newer ones better. I think the later models are more worth their price tags, but those with the in-house movements are pricey. I prefer the Luminor -1950 case, the 44mm size works the best for me. The in-house 2002 movement is awesome. The 3 barrel in series design delivers consistent energy throughout the entire power reserve, and you get 8 days at 28,800 BPH. They have glucydor balances, a seconds reset hacking device, and linear power reserve indicators. I really like the 233 GMT and the 275 single button, column wheel, GMT chrono. These movements are really innovative; I believe OP received three or four patents on them.

Ultimately, I reckon value is in the eye of the beholder.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Steelhead » February 3rd 2014, 5:02am

eddiea wrote:... they all look pretty much the same, regardless of what the hard core "paneristi" folks may said at the end of the day.

There are three basic case types: Luminor, Radiomir, and Submersible. With a couple of minor variants like the 1940 and 1950.

After that, it's just a question of which frills you want. Two-hander/three hander, GMT, chrono, gold case, titanium case, PVD case.
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » February 3rd 2014, 10:46am

Sheer quality. All other considerations come fourth.

Good stuff costs money.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » February 4th 2014, 4:40pm

Steelhead wrote:
eddiea wrote:... they all look pretty much the same, regardless of what the hard core "paneristi" folks may said at the end of the day.

There are three basic case types: Luminor, Radiomir, and Submersible. With a couple of minor variants like the 1940 and 1950.
After that, it's just a question of which frills you want. Two-hander/three hander, GMT, chrono, gold case, titanium case, PVD case.

Exactly!!....they all look pretty much the same , which is very boring in my book...and Panerai is all about the cases, that is back when Bucci used to hand finished them in Florence, Italy.
Now machined to the end (I'm sure with an excellent QA) they are not the same shit, no matter how we roll the dice, prices are out of touch with reality although I understand they can ask whatever they want as long as the demand is there.
eddiea

Postby jason_recliner » February 4th 2014, 5:22pm

eddiea wrote: they are not the same shit, no matter how we roll the dice, prices are out of touch with reality...

Yep. But Chinese guys with tiny wrists love 'em.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » February 4th 2014, 5:38pm

eddiea wrote:Exactly!!....they all look pretty much the same , which is very boring in my book...

Boring?
Photo: Panerai / PAM 275

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » February 4th 2014, 5:56pm

3Flushes wrote:
eddiea wrote:Exactly!!....they all look pretty much the same , which is very boring in my book...

Boring?

Yes boring ...when you put model after model next to each other, it is a repetitive, endless line of the same watch with miniscule differences (if any) some models that only the educated "Paneristi connoisseur" can tell apart and that my friend? amounts to extremely boring, in my neck of the woods ..
And BTW, the Panerai showed in you pic is really not "it" according to the Panerai purist audience..a no, no for the real hardcore Panerai fanboy. 8-) (Radiomir sandwich dials with no seconds hand , appears to be the name of the game)
eddiea

Postby 3Flushes » February 4th 2014, 6:10pm

eddiea wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

Boring?

Yes boring ...when you put model after model next to each other, it is a repetitive, endless line of the same watch with miniscule differences (if any)...

Like Rolex, who like Panerai, is unapologetic for sticking with tradition, however, unlike Rolex, Panerai has stepped out of the box a bit with the 1950 and the in-house movements, albeit much to the chagrin of hardcore Panerai fanboys. Perhaps this is the same as Rolex purists might behave with significant changes in the Sub, for example. Change is tough to take.
eddiea wrote:...And BTW, the Panerai showed in you pic is really not "it" according to the Panerai purist audience..a no, no for the real hardcore Panerai fanboy. 8-)

As I've said, I became interested in Panerai with the release of the 1950 and the 2002 series of movements. I have no history of love for the brand prior to that, so no angst for the changes.

Purists and history aside, I'm curious why you think of the new movements and the 1950, eddie.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Bluesbro » February 4th 2014, 6:15pm

The deal is ... there are no deals ;)
Bluesbro
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » February 4th 2014, 6:29pm

The Panerai Manufacture movements are excellent and a savvy investment move, I'm a bit confused however about your statement "unlike Rolex, Panerai has stepped out of the box a bit with the 1950 and the in-house movements"
Rolex has their own movements (and supply to Panerai BTW) for the best part of a century, their movements are evolving , slowly but evolving ...that been said and as a Rolex owner myself? I can tell you, that they are (like Panerai) equally boring , is all about selling and profit, if the formula is not broken ? what's the point of fixing it? seem to be Rolex philosophy.
Back to Panerai, unlike Rolex they are basking in reflected glory, on a past Italian heritage, they no longer have (sexy nontheless)
Last edited by eddiea on June 24th 2014, 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea

Next

Return to Officine Panerai