Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby dcfis » January 27th 2013, 3:40pm

Document on the revision? Ive owned multiple from different eras, they were the SAME.

I think you are REALLY overplaying any innovation of Panerai in house movements. I see very little new. Very little. The new manual wind is a blatant fucking copy of a $100 6497 with some add on fairings and a spit polish. Add that to the extra few thousand at the counter. Now if we were talking about Seiko innovation of horology then I would be in 100% agreement.
dcfis
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 28th 2013, 12:40am

dcfis wrote:Document on the revision? Ive owned multiple from different eras, they were the SAME.

I think you are REALLY overplaying any innovation of Panerai in house movements. I see very little new. Very little. The new manual wind is a blatant fucking copy of a $100 6497 with some add on fairings and a spit polish. Add that to the extra few thousand at the counter. Now if we were talking about Seiko innovation of horology then I would be in 100% agreement.

Spring Drive is the schiz, but we digress- (you and conjurer should move in together...)

The 6497, originally a pocket watch cranker, 16 1/2 L, is often now contained in project watches, as unmodified, it is a good, straightforward movement for beginning watchmakers and amateurs to work with. Reworked, they are excellent. The 6497 1 and 2, are single barrels, 17 jewels, 46 hours, 18,000 VPH and 17 jewels, 53 hours, 21,600 VPH respectively, (the 6497-2 was used by OP extensively, most notably, in the 111, 183, 210 and 231) and initially inspired the search for a better power delivery method as the modified PO versions could never be regulated to their satisfaction as it did not deliver perfectly even power through the entire wind despite the modified swans' neck regulator and reworked bridges. I am not aware of a PO 6497-2 modified to 8 days reserve, although, there are some asian vintage PAM knock offs marked Unitas 8 days. All movements previously manufactured by ETA and marked Unitas are now solely marked ETA.

The 2002, actually more akin to the Angelus SF240 (203) or the JLC 8 day (190, 197) which OP engineers also found dissatisfactory in power delivery over the entire reserve, includes complications strange to the 6497 like GMT, date, and visible power res indicator for example, all functions that the purist reisti consider sacrilege. (BTW, the 1950 case dates to 1953.)

The relentless search for accurate, even power delivery through the entire reserve drove the development of the 2002, and OP received a patent for the resulting solution, the 3 barrel - in series design and I believe, for the material used in the balance wheel, integral to the performance of the movement at the high freq of 28,800. The design is highly innovative as the patent(s) speak to. The seconds reset hacking device is also unique to the 2002. I hope I've improved your vision.

Re: to the Rad stem, that was per the OP boutique in LaJolla. It may be in something yet to be released, I'll try and get more info, sorry I can't be more specific.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby dcfis » January 28th 2013, 2:17am

Im sure the info will be helpful to someone. Ive been around the PAM block. Ive had them. The 1950 case used now is nowhere near the vintage cases. NOT CLOSE. Its a sorry replica with the wrong proportions. Ive had them both in hand. Pretend if you want.

Also, you seem like a good enough guy but if you are going to knowledge whip me, please let it be with that and not throwing out Rads because all the crowns break and there is a super secret la jolla crown yet to be released. Im sure PAM will change it as they change everything else but I have talked to two friends who are gray dealers and they have not heard of any problems outside the few that are gorilla'd.
dcfis
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 28th 2013, 9:36am

The 1950 was certainly changed to accommodate the 2002- it's my case of choice in the brand which I have admittedly only become interested in recently. As I previously said, "not crazy about the Rad cases, plus they had crown issues." And they do have crown/stem issues. There are multiple threads on many fora and a cursory Google search yields 27,000+ results regarding the issue. Are your gray dealers the ones who told you the 2002 was a knockoff of the 6497 also, to? Perhaps you should get your info from A-D's or factory stores and just buy gray.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby dcfis » January 29th 2013, 1:48pm

It was the official tripe directly to the big Ristis at pday. You have been to pdays right? They are quite informative on what's really going on.
dcfis
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 29th 2013, 8:42pm

I did a little more research and the material used in the balance wheel of the 2002, Glucydor, is actually beryllium bronze, an alloy of copper, beryllium and tin. It has several advantages over nickel including its' resistance to deformation due to extremes in temperature, resistance to shock and the abuse of high beat movements, and is antimagnetic, and overall, yields considerably greater consistency in regulation. Glucydor is used in the Top and Chronometre grades of ETA and in most prominent manufacturers' in house movements.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Previous

Return to Officine Panerai