Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby koimaster » August 20th 2012, 1:34pm

Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 32258
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby eddiea » August 20th 2012, 2:05pm

Great watches, not a fan.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10669
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby smellody » August 22nd 2012, 3:28pm

Totally interested in the line. . . but how could anyone decide on a specific model?

PAM 023 – Luminor GMT

PAM 024 – Luminor Submersible
PAM 025 – Luminor Submersible
PAM 027 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 028 – Luminor Power Reserve PVD
PAM 029 – Luminor GMT
PAM 048 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 049 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 050 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 051 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 057 – Luminor Power Reserve Titanium
PAM 062 – Radiomir White Gold
PAM 063 – Luminor GMT
PAM 069 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 070 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 072 – Luminor Chrono
PAM 074 – Luminor Chrono
PAM 086 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 087 – Luminor Submersible 1000m
PAM 088 – Luminor GMT
PAM 089 – Luminor GMT Titanium
PAM 090 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 091 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 093 – Luminor Power Reserve Titanium
PAM 098 – Radiomir GMT Alarm
PAM 103 – Radiomir Pink Gold
PAM 104 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 106 – Luminor Submersible
PAM 119 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 120 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 121 – Luminor Chrono
PAM 122 – Luminor Chrono
PAM 123 – Luminor Power Reserve Destro
PAM 124 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 125 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 126 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 132 – Luminor Chrono Flyback
PAM 140 – Luminor Marina Automatic Gold
PAM 141 – Radiomir
PAM 159 – Luminor GMT
PAM 160 – Luminor GMT
PAM 161 – Luminor GMT Titanium
PAM 162 – Luminor Chrono
PAM 164 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 165 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 170 – Luminor Submersible
PAM 171 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 180 – Luminor Marina Automatic W.Gold
PAM 184 – Radiomir GMT
PAM 185 – Radiomir GMT
PAM 186 – Luminor Arktos GMT
PAM 188 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 196 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 209 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 212 – Luminor 1950 Flyback
PAM 213 – Luminor 1950 Rattrapante
PAM 214 – Radiomir Rattrapante
PAM 220 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 221 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 236 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 238 – Radiomir GMT Alarm
PAM 240 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 241 – Luminor Power Reserve
PAM 242 – Radiomir GMT
PAM 243 – Luminor 1950 Submersible
PAM 244 – Luminor GMT
PAM 250 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 251 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 270 – Luminor 1950 10 Days GMT
PAM 279 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 282 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 283 – Luminor Marina Automatic Titanium
PAM 287 – Radiomir Black Seal
PAM 288 – Radiomir Chronograph
PAM 296 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 297 – Luminor GMT
PAM 298 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 299 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 301 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 305 – Luminor 1950 Submersible 3 Days
PAM 310 – Luminor Chronograph
PAM 312 – Luminor 1950 3 Days Automatic
PAM 320 – Luminor 1950 3 Days GMT Automatic
PAM 321 – Luminor 1950 3 Days GMT Power Reserve
PAM 323 – Radiomir 10 Days GMT
PAM 326 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 327 – Luminor Chrono Daylight
PAM 328 – Luminor 1950 3 Days Automatic
PAM 329 – Luminor 1950 3 Days GMT Automatic
PAM 333 – Luminor Marina Automatic
PAM 335 – Luminor 1950 10 Days GMT Ceramic
PAM 347 – Luminor 3 Days GMT Power Reserve
PAM 351 – Luminor 1950 Marina 3 Days Automatic
PAM 352 – Luminor 1950 Marina
PAM 355 – Radiomir GMT Alarm
PAM 359 – Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic
PAM 386 – Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic
   
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby Watch Noob » August 22nd 2012, 4:35pm

Only interested in the Luminor Submersible line Image
Image
User avatar
Watch Noob
Founding Member
 
Posts: 7511
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby jaw » August 22nd 2012, 4:40pm

Saw the 320 live today. Beautiful watch. Almost knocked me off my Rolex quest. Seems larger although it isn't. Not sure I can wear a watch that large/thick anymore. Funny how things change.
User avatar
jaw
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 5156
Joined: July 22nd 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby iwasbanned » August 22nd 2012, 5:41pm

The PAM 372, forget about everything else:

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
iwasbanned
Master of Time
 
Posts: 5424
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby ericf4 » August 22nd 2012, 6:41pm

Tried a 372 on the other day, way too big for a smaller wrist....looked silly.....it looks much larger than my 312 on the wrist....
ericf4
Founding Member
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby Don Barzini » August 23rd 2012, 4:34am

jaw wrote:Saw the 320 live today. Beautiful watch. Almost knocked me off my Rolex quest. Seems larger although it isn't. Not sure I can wear a watch that large/thick anymore. Funny how things change.


I had a 320 and then a Rad 287. They were just too big for me, though I could wear them and they din't hang over my wrist, they looked like to me like I was wearing sauce pans. So I settled on a Pam50, but couldn't get past the baby sister image. So off it went. Honestly, I'm not a big Panerai fan. Have you spent any time on Paneristi? They regularly schedule GTGs which I'm convinced conclude with a circle jerk.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
User avatar
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: February 17th 2012, 11:00pm
Location: US Southwest

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby koimaster » August 23rd 2012, 5:18am

Don Barzini wrote:

Have you spent any time on Paneristi? They regularly schedule GTGs which I'm convinced conclude with a circle jerk.



Image
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 32258
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby eddiea » September 1st 2012, 3:33pm

iwasbanned wrote:The PAM 372, forget about everything else:

Nah.....

Image
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10669
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby craig pb » January 24th 2013, 3:15am

I like the look of them but i could,nt bring myself to spent 5 grand plus on one when i know it has a £40 movement in it Image
craig pb
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 14
Joined: January 22nd 2013, 11:00pm
Location: Northern England

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 24th 2013, 9:52pm

craig pb wrote:I like the look of them but i could,nt bring myself to spent 5 grand plus on one when i know it has a £40 movement in it Image


You're so confused- the only 40 pound movement you've ever had is the one you dropped in the crapper this morning. You should be so fuckin lucky there clueless.

I currently have a woody for a 233 ^ Image

or a 275 v
Image

on Louisiana nubuck alligator.

Both have incredible in house movements-

233: 21 jewels; 28,800 BPH, 8 day power reserve with linear indicator; triple barrel GMT; 247 total components.

275: 29 jewels; 28,800 BPH, 8 day power reserve with linear indicator, 3 barrel, column wheel single button chrono; 321 total components.

At 44mm they are substantial in appearance without feeling or looking like you're wearing a frisbee. Have a pal at the OP Boutique in LaJolla that lets me wear them whenever I pop in to kick the tires and they are amazingly comfortable and handsome watches.

Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby conjurer » January 25th 2013, 7:42am

And let's not forget when Panerai sold it's collectors the "Brooklyn Bridge":

http://watchmen.forum-nation.com/t868-panerai-movement-scandal
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24647
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 25th 2013, 8:19am

conjurer wrote:And let's not forget when Panerai sold it's collectors the "Brooklyn Bridge


In their entire history, one clinker...A definite low point, almost 4 years ago as I recall. The finishing was the issue in that piece and an embarrassment. Still, hardly a $63 movement (at the current exchange rate) The product henceforth has been outstanding with several movement advancements especially in the balance, shock protection and the new shielded products. The triple barrel movements are really marvels. Sounds like it's been awhile since you've kept up on 'em.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby craig pb » January 25th 2013, 8:23am

3Flushes wrote:
craig pb wrote:I like the look of them but i could,nt bring myself to spent 5 grand plus on one when i know it has a £40 movement in it Image


You're so confused- the only 40 pound movement you've ever had is the one you dropped in the crapper this morning. You should be so fuckin lucky there clueless.

I currently have a woody for a 233 ^ Image

or a 275 v
Image

on Louisiana nubuck alligator.

Both have incredible in house movements-

233: 21 jewels; 28,800 BPH, 8 day power reserve with linear indicator; triple barrel GMT; 247 total components.

275: 29 jewels; 28,800 BPH, 8 day power reserve with linear indicator, 3 barrel, column wheel single button chrono; 321 total components.

At 44mm they are substantial in appearance without feeling or looking like you're wearing a frisbee. Have a pal at the OP Boutique in LaJolla that lets me wear them whenever I pop in to kick the tires and they are amazingly comfortable and handsome watches.

Sorry ! £50
craig pb
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 14
Joined: January 22nd 2013, 11:00pm
Location: Northern England

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 25th 2013, 9:04am

craig pb wrote:Sorry ! £50


Since you persist in your foolishness:

150 of these watches were produced with the undecorated movements. The fact is that Panerai stepped up and replaced the movements free of charge, including shipping to and from the house for the asking, with fully decorated COSC movements. That's how a truly prominent manufacture does business. The issue price of the watch, as you stated was indeed 5 G's. If you can find them for sale in the current collectors' market, they fetch in excess of 6 G's if you can find a great deal, and generally in excess of 7. Which, is how a truly prominent manufactures' product appreciates.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby conjurer » January 25th 2013, 10:51am

3Flushes wrote:
craig pb wrote:Sorry ! £50


Since you persist in your foolishness:

150 of these watches were produced with the undecorated movements. The fact is that Panerai stepped up and replaced the movements free of charge, including shipping to and from the house for the asking, with fully decorated COSC movements. That's how a truly prominent manufacture does business. The issue price of the watch, as you stated was indeed 5 G's. If you can find them for sale in the current collectors' market, they fetch in excess of 6 G's if you can find a great deal, and generally in excess of 7. Which, is how a truly prominent manufactures' product appreciates.


A prominent manufacture wouldn't have tried to fuck over their collectors in the first place.

Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24647
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 25th 2013, 11:07am

conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
craig pb wrote:Sorry ! £50


Since you persist in your foolishness:

150 of these watches were produced with the undecorated movements. The fact is that Panerai stepped up and replaced the movements free of charge, including shipping to and from the house for the asking, with fully decorated COSC movements. That's how a truly prominent manufacture does business. The issue price of the watch, as you stated was indeed 5 G's. If you can find them for sale in the current collectors' market, they fetch in excess of 6 G's if you can find a great deal, and generally in excess of 7. Which, is how a truly prominent manufactures' product appreciates.


A prominent manufacture wouldn't have tried to fuck over their collectors in the first place.



They made it right and the watch has appreciated give or take 40%, better than 10% a year. I don't think the 150 people who bought one are feeling fucked over. How ya doin on the appreciation of your collection, or, investments/savings/cash for that matter? Fuck man, even Porsche made the 924. Ya gonna shit all over the 911?
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby conjurer » January 25th 2013, 11:12am

3Flushes wrote:
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
craig pb wrote:Sorry ! £50


Since you persist in your foolishness:

150 of these watches were produced with the undecorated movements. The fact is that Panerai stepped up and replaced the movements free of charge, including shipping to and from the house for the asking, with fully decorated COSC movements. That's how a truly prominent manufacture does business. The issue price of the watch, as you stated was indeed 5 G's. If you can find them for sale in the current collectors' market, they fetch in excess of 6 G's if you can find a great deal, and generally in excess of 7. Which, is how a truly prominent manufactures' product appreciates.


A prominent manufacture wouldn't have tried to fuck over their collectors in the first place.



They made it right and the watch has appreciated give or take 40%, better than 10% a year. I don't think the 150 people who bought one are feeling fucked over. How ya doin on the appreciation of your collection, or, investments/savings/cash for that matter? Fuck man, even Porsche made the 924. Ya gonna shit all over the 911?


No, but I don't mind shitting all over Panerai.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24647
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby BigCheez » January 25th 2013, 11:22am

None of you speak of the watch at hand, the PAM 111. The watch that sees the most light of day of any in my small collection.

Not in-house, not super-expensive, just the basic Luminor with small seconds. The movement is merely a well-finished Unitas with a swans-neck regulator added, but Panerai always used other manufactures movements anyway. They were renowned for waterproof cases and lume, not movements. They generally trusted Rolex for that.

In my opinion, it rocks.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
BigCheez
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 5475
Joined: May 20th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby conjurer » January 25th 2013, 11:25am

BigCheez wrote:None of you speak of the watch at hand, the PAM 111. The watch that sees the most light of day of any in my small collection.

Not in-house, not super-expensive, just the basic Luminor with small seconds. The movement is merely a well-finished Unitas with a swans-neck regulator added, but Panerai always used other manufactures movements anyway. They were renowned for waterproof cases and lume, not movements. They generally trusted Rolex for that.

In my opinion, it rocks.
Image
Image


Your Panerai's different, Cheez. Your's is the fucking bomb, goddamn it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24647
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby Horse Feathers » January 25th 2013, 11:51am

Very nice Cheez, basic small seconds, very clean. The only time I have ever seen these in the wild the owner had no clue about the watch, just part of an image they are trying to portray.
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 9282
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 26th 2013, 2:39pm

BigCheez wrote:None of you speak of the watch at hand, the PAM 111. The watch that sees the most light of day of any in my small collection.

Not in-house, not super-expensive, just the basic Luminor with small seconds. The movement is merely a well-finished Unitas with a swans-neck regulator added, but Panerai always used other manufactures movements anyway. They were renowned for waterproof cases and lume, not movements. They generally trusted Rolex for that.

In my opinion, it rocks.
Image
Image


That watch definitely rocks, especially the classic, super clean stuffed dial. (Looks like one of the oldies, but can't tell for sure from the pics. Not sure if they had the Unitas.) In fact, it's why I like the 233. My collecting is more centered on movements than what a watch shows to the masses, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a handsome exterior also, to. I've liked the Luminor case and dials for a long time, but they employed, for me, what were meh movements available in other watches for considerably less money. I guess my path has left me more "cheeze whiz" than "big cheese," so I have to do the best I can for the money. They did use some great movements also, (JLC and Angelus for example) but not in anything I really liked- not crazy about the Rad cases, plus they had crown issues, the Luminors, too large- 47mm+.

Ever since they popped that 2002 movement into the Luminor case and made it more complicated, which I like, while keeping the clean appearance of your dial, I became hot for one. I really like the 8 day power reserve as I hardly ever wear the same watch more than 2 days in succession, so not having to set it every time I wear it is appealing. The three barrel in series design they developed keeps it accurate throughout the reserve based on everything I've read (although I'm still looking for a independent bench test.) The seconds reset hacking feature is cool for setting and the 28,800 BPH freq is rare in a watch with more than 46 hours reserve. The linear PR indicator had some problems which put me off, but were resolved in the j and k releases.

I think the 233 is a classic blend of the old and what's new in watchmaking. The 233 is easy to dress up or down with strap changes and is nicely sized for me at 44mm. Although I'd prefer the stuffed dial, I think they did a good job with the clean and classic layout of the comps on the current sandwiched dial. The movement represents great advances in movement making, resulting in, I believe, 3 new patents with modern additions of complications, that probably make the purists look down and spit on the ground, but, I gravitate to more complicated watches. All of it cased up in the iconic Luminor case (which in the 1950 lags a bit in WR.) Hope I can find the right deal on one soon. Viagra, Vischmagra.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby dcfis » January 26th 2013, 5:03pm

First that 1950 case is a pos in terms of being historically correct, comfortable, and balanced. The vintages are all that. Its a resemblance to the vintage and a departure from the luminor to fit their overly fat movements. Here is a pic of their "innovative" new erector set movent.
Image
Awesome huh? Now I agree with you on the the 233 as special (dot only) as the first in house pam movement and the most reasonable application of that vomitous case. It has certainly lost some shine in the eyes of risti and collectors every year with this new direction but its still a nice watch.

The Radiomirs did not have any widespread crown issues. There were some mongrels that were dumb enough to cross thread them. Ive owned them since they came out.

A parallel rant, every notice all the super vocal cheerleaders on those P sites are always gushing over the new releases and contemporary models? If you have been paying attention over the years you will notice they wouldnt be caught dead with one, even those they somehow are selling a LNIB every now and then. They are quietly buying up all the Real PAMS, vintage, preA/V, T dials and SEs. So yall keep gushing over those pams with autos (the biggest lol of all) and those body panels they call cases they have to try and wrap around their lol in house movements
User avatar
dcfis
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 34
Joined: January 24th 2013, 11:00pm
Location: ATX

Re: Talking Hands on the Panerai Luminor Marina

Postby 3Flushes » January 27th 2013, 12:34pm

dcfis wrote:Here is a pic of their "innovative" new erector set movent.
Image
Awesome huh?


Yep

Apparently, like myself, a majority of watch consumers, as evidenced by steadily declining sales, were never interested in Panarei until they started revising their designs and innovated movement making with the inline 3 barrel power train. I admire how the puritanical, histrionic fans of the brand rail against change and the advance of modernity; it's too bad that the nostalgic "shine" of the reisti for, and their buying up of, all the old stuff could not insure the financial future and survival of the house. It does however insure the financial future of the collectors; typical behavior of the collectors of anything, so what. And what's too bad for them is good for fans of innovation and advancement in horology and watchmaking who are purchasing their future classics in droves.

In the face of decreasing availability of ETA and economic factors, it's awesome that there are brands who are still advancing designs and seeking perfection in mechanical timekeeping while so many are cheapening their product with lesser materials and fashionistic designs to try to stay afloat.

Parenthetically, the crown issue on the Rads was bad enough that it was revised. Damn "mongrels."
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm

Next

Return to Officine Panerai

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests