Looking Back: The Omega Globemaster

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

Looking Back: The Omega Globemaster

Postby koimaster » September 27th 2017, 9:01am

The Omega Globemaster references design cues from the Omegas of the 1950s and 1960s, but with updated credentials. New examples offer COSC certification as well as Omega’s own METAS certification, both attesting to the Globemaster’s exceedingly high technical marks. This refined dress watch slides right into the Omega Constellation collection and it feels as though it has always been there. The 2016 models, including a previewed annual calendar version, arrive in 41mm sizes, up from the 39mm models seen last year.

http://www.iwmagazine.com/historical/20 ... obemaster/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Looking Back: The Omega Globemaster

Postby Thunder1 » September 27th 2017, 9:13am

Nice looking watch...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 27th 2017, 7:11pm

They've got it a wee bit wrong in that article - the pie-pan dial of that type was used in the 1960s, not 1950s. The shape of the facets and the hour markers have little to do with the original 1952 pie-pan dial shown.
It was designed to be something of a Constellation mongrel - 1960s pie pan dial, the case and hands are based on the Genta-designed Constellation "C." Save for the Globemaster name, there's nothing 1950s about it- not a single feature.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » September 28th 2017, 5:45am

Well Omega does have a bit of a track record of re-writing history to suit. Broad Arrow, Speedmaster caseback, automatic Moonwatch and so on. In any case, as Omega is going after 20-40 modern buyers (their words), not us has-beens, who the hell is going to care about the decade? Fifites shmifties.

Nice enough watch, even if they upsizing was inevitable looking at the heft of the rest of their range. And the bigger one on the wrist looks like a Christopher Ward at a glance. I would consider one next to a 41mm DateJust even though the Omega is more expensive (well done chaps, you made it), but if Rolex ever made a DateJust with the same case dimensions as the Explorer, well, that would be the end of it!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 28th 2017, 12:10pm

Pubbie wrote:Well Omega does have a bit of a track record of re-writing history to suit. Broad Arrow, Speedmaster caseback, automatic Moonwatch and so on. In any case, as Omega is going after 20-40 modern buyers (their words), not us has-beens, who the hell is going to care about the decade? Fifites shmifties.

20-40 years old? Guess I'm within their target group, then. Well, in terms of age, not of the thickness of my wallet.

Besides, I was pointing out mistakes in the article, not in Omega's advertising (they never claimed the watch to have any 1950s design to it). Poor research and misinformation are a plague in watch journalism, and I just happen to care about the quality of information presented by the watch media. Which is why I do often rant about mistakes and the more or less willful misinformation in articles at watch blogs. And which is why I deliver a proper barrage to the most popular of them, when they earn it. Well, the most popular one also sells watches, and that's what I usually rant against, but when their journalism earns a rant, I deliver a rant. No quarter.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to The Omega Forum