Fair Price for a used Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

Fair Price for a used Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch

Postby noobsnoot » March 29th 2017, 10:41am

Hi guys, I'm looking for a used omega speedmaster pro moonwatch either the hesalite or the sapphire would be fine. How much do you think is a fair price (fair depreciation) for those watches given the condition is mint, original box and papers?

I also see that Omega changed the ref # of the older moonwatch and the newer ones. Is there anything I should know for buying an older version or which one is more preferable between older and newer moonwatch?
noobsnoot

Re: Fair Price for a used Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch

Postby gerdson » March 29th 2017, 11:42am

I can only tell about mine - it is year 1971, had just been serviced (incl. new bezel and pushers, but no change of hands or dial), and I paid about 1500 USD. But that was from a friend, and it is more than 5 years ago now, I believe. No box, no freaking papers, and an aftermarket bracelet, which I dumped in favor of a nice brown alligator strap.

The movement is basically unchanged, there is only a minor technical difference between the steel and see-through back - the first has some "plastic" part.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 29th 2017, 2:19pm

When it comes to the Pro, it's hard to find one under $2000 these days. Sadly, the hype is raging. $1500-2000 tend to buy a decent Mark II.

Regarding the differences between the sapphire version and the hesalite, first of all- the sapphire one has the movement (cal. 1863) finished to a bit higher standard, so that it looks more "presentable" than the standard 1861. Second, the sapphire version doesn't have the anti-magnetic cover over the movement- instead, it has a plastic "spacer", which holds the movement in place.

As to the vintage Pro prices, a mid 1970s to mid 1980s piece should be fairly wallet-friendly. The 145.022-69, and even some early 1970s ones still equipped with the "step dial", are sadly going into the "what the fuck?" price range (well above the MSRP of a new Pro).
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on March 29th 2017, 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » March 29th 2017, 3:04pm

Browse WatchRecon - http://www.watchrecon.com/ - for a few weeks to get a feel for preowned pricing. A recent, decent 3570.50 (manual wind, 42mm, hesalite, bracelet) ought to run around $2300 - $2800.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby relaxer7 » March 30th 2017, 5:20am

In the UK you'll not see one at less than £2000. After a Sub it's the only other watch a non WIS will recognise so that doesn't help either.
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » March 30th 2017, 3:21pm

FYI:
https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-ome ... eedmaster/
A well-executed interactive chronological reference of the Speedmaster.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby noobsnoot » March 31st 2017, 3:23am

thanks guys.. I'm still in the market of purchasing a used speedy moonwatch now. Some reseller (like a private used car shop for watches) is only discounting 15% from the discounted brand new price which is not a fair price, too expensive i think. He's asking for £2654 for it, which I can get it brand new for £3076.

I just got a daytona 116500 for my wedding gift which I will wear it on my wedding day next year. Having that but not able to wear it, making me so wanting to buy another nice one for now.

So basically, the older the watch (speedy moonwatch in this case), the lower the price should be? For example, the same condition of year 2005 should be higher than 1990 speedy, yes or no?
noobsnoot

Postby Falstaff » March 31st 2017, 11:36am

noobsnoot wrote:thanks guys.. I'm still in the market of purchasing a used speedy moonwatch now. Some reseller (like a private used car shop for watches) is only discounting 15% from the discounted brand new price which is not a fair price, too expensive i think. He's asking for £2654 for it, which I can get it brand new for £3076.

I just got a daytona 116500 for my wedding gift which I will wear it on my wedding day next year. Having that but not able to wear it, making me so wanting to buy another nice one for now.

So basically, the older the watch (speedy moonwatch in this case), the lower the price should be? For example, the same condition of year 2005 should be higher than 1990 speedy, yes or no?

In general yes - if you are comparing the same model number; i.e. 1990 3570.50 compared to a 2005 3570.50. Otherwise, not necessarily. There are so many model variations of the SpeedPro moon watch that a 1990 model number with a high collector value due to rarity or particular specialization can fetch a far higher price than a 2005 in similar condition but with a mundane model number. As always - condition, condition, condition. Some good info as to collectible models in the stickies at the top of this sub forum.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby noobsnoot » April 7th 2017, 12:10am

This Falstaff is replying or anything? The avatar covers everything, I cannot see if you post anything or no
noobsnoot

Postby jason_recliner » April 7th 2017, 4:15am

noobsnoot wrote:This Falstaff is replying or anything? The avatar covers everything, I cannot see if you post anything or no

Suck my motherfucking dick.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » April 7th 2017, 5:33am

what do You mean, You can't see his answer? Looks ok on my screen.

He wrote:

In general yes - if you are comparing the same model number; i.e. 1990 3570.50 compared to a 2005 3570.50. Otherwise, not necessarily. There are so many model variations of the SpeedPro moon watch that a 1990 model number with a high collector value due to rarity or particular specialization can fetch a far higher price than a 2005 in similar condition but with a mundane model number. As always - condition, condition, condition. Some good info as to collectible models in the stickies at the top of this sub forum.

P.S. Don't even think about annoying Falstaff. Never. In any way.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 7th 2017, 6:53am

I think noobsnoot's referring to a certain issue with user avatars. No idea why, but some of them display way bigger than they should, covering the entire post. So likely what he was seeing, was the Guy Fawkes mask...and nothing else.
I had the same problem- dunno if it's related to the browser, or what- but I simply changed the settings not to display avatars.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to The Omega Forum