The Omega Master Chronometer Certification

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

The Omega Master Chronometer Certification

Postby koimaster » March 10th 2017, 10:09am

VIDEO – Going Where No Camera Has Gone Before – Our Documentary About The Omega Master Chronometer Certification

10/03/2017 / 1 response / in Omega / tagged: Industry news, Luxury Watches, video

The Omega Master Chronometer is about the pursuit of the best possible movement. Not the most complex movement, not the one with the most features, or the craziest complications. No. With the Master Chronometer, Omega wanted to create a standard movement that will perform to the same high level in every situation, in every environment, in every possible condition. Heat, cold, magnetic fields, shocks… Everything you can imagine has been tested, ensuring precision, reliability and efficiency, everyday and everywhere. Believe it or not, this is a really big deal, more significant even than any tourbillon. Not only has Omega spent years on research and development, it has also created an entirely new way to certify these watches. Today, we bring you where no camera has ever been before; inside the Omega Master Chronometer Certification facilities.

We wanted to understand why Omega decided to create the Master Chronometer movement and the certification process that goes along with it. We also wanted to see first-hand, step by step, how the Omega Master Chronometer watches are tested and certified, what procedures are followed and of course what the final outcomes are. So, we asked Andreas Hobmeier, Omega Vice-President Procurement and Production (or in more simple terms, the head of production at Omega Watches) to take us on a tour, explaining all the details along the way, and of course we took our cameras with us. Well, as it turns out, the process of the certification is so involved and complex, that we ended up with a TV-style documentary, which you can watch below:

https://monochrome-watches.com/inside-o ... cumentary/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAFb37c5voc[/youtube]

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Omega Master Chronometer Certification

Postby 3Flushes » March 10th 2017, 3:46pm

That's a great vid.

I still love all the tools and gizmos just like when I got hooked on these damn little marvels when I was 3.

The machinery, especially the automated stuff must be a fucking fortune; how many of the damn things could the manufacturers sell- 1 a year, 2 maybe?

They sure are a lot of fucking fun to watch.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » March 10th 2017, 3:47pm

That was great.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 10th 2017, 3:51pm

Nothing wrong with striving for perfection. I agree - amazing, cool video; the production values are like motion picture quality.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 10th 2017, 4:37pm

The video is quite enjoyable, actually, but I've got one problem with the Master Chronometer certification- it's still an internal certification. The lab may be ran in co-operation with METAS, with their blessing and equipment but it's still ran by Omega. So effectively, they certify themselves.

When Rolex introduced the Superlative Chronometer certification, they've said it's an internal one in the first place, and I don't think they quit having COSC certify their watches. With Omega, there's a lot of reading between the lines to do... Frankly, the two have traded places in terms of transparency of internal certification.

I did laugh for quite a while, when they have "invited" other brands to apply for the Master Chronometer certification- just imagine, what would it look like if the Volkswagen group invited BMW to get their cars tested by them, on their track, by their driver... "But itz OK, ve have ze blessing fhhhom a fedehhhal instituziooon, du hast our wort zat ve von't be economisch vith ze thhhuth." Exactly who the fuck would ever have their product tested by their competitor, up to specifications that the competitor has come up with to suit their own product?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby codguy » March 11th 2017, 8:13am

Way cool, truly amazing what Omega is doing!

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » March 11th 2017, 10:54am

Without a third party certification actually certifying the watches, the Omega Master Chronometer Certification is but marketing bullshit to me....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » March 11th 2017, 1:14pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The video is quite enjoyable, actually, but I've got one problem with the Master Chronometer certification- it's still an internal certification. The lab may be ran in co-operation with METAS, with their blessing and equipment but it's still ran by Omega. So effectively, they certify themselves.

Omega is one of the most innovative, highest quality, Swiss watch manufacturers. I have no reason to doubt their claims, and I would be very surprised if their certification process is not all they claim it to be. The damage to their reputation if caught out doing the wrong thing wouldn't be worth it, and it would be relatively easy to catch them out. So, from a pragmatic angle, I think this internal process is superior to the COSC institute, or whatever it's called, as handling and transport of movements once adjusted is minimised. It's one of the advantages of in-house manufacture.
Last edited by jason_recliner on March 11th 2017, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby themadhungarian » March 11th 2017, 4:40pm

3Flushes wrote:That's a great vid.

I still love all the tools and gizmos just like when I got hooked on these damn little marvels when I was 3.

The machinery, especially the automated stuff must be a fucking fortune; how many of the damn things could the manufacturers sell- 1 a year, 2 maybe?

They sure are a lot of fucking fun to watch.

Yes. This. Even the little device to help position the screws is cool. Enjoyed this video very much.
themadhungarian

Postby themadhungarian » March 11th 2017, 4:42pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The video is quite enjoyable, actually, but I've got one problem with the Master Chronometer certification- it's still an internal certification. The lab may be ran in co-operation with METAS, with their blessing and equipment but it's still ran by Omega. So effectively, they certify themselves.

When Rolex introduced the Superlative Chronometer certification, they've said it's an internal one in the first place, and I don't think they quit having COSC certify their watches. With Omega, there's a lot of reading between the lines to do... Frankly, the two have traded places in terms of transparency of internal certification.

I did laugh for quite a while, when they have "invited" other brands to apply for the Master Chronometer certification- just imagine, what would it look like if the Volkswagen group invited BMW to get their cars tested by them, on their track, by their driver... "But itz OK, ve have ze blessing fhhhom a fedehhhal instituziooon, du hast our wort zat ve von't be economisch vith ze thhhuth." Exactly who the fuck would ever have their product tested by their competitor, up to specifications that the competitor has come up with to suit their own product?

But you're ok with Rolex and their Superlative Chronometre bullshit, right?
themadhungarian

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 11th 2017, 6:49pm

themadhungarian wrote:

But you're ok with Rolex and their Superlative Chronometre bullshit, right?

Not like I trust it more, if that's what you mean by being OK with it. Quite simply, they're being a bit more honest about it- and as someone once said, honesty is such a rare bird in these woods, that I appreciate it every time I see it. I don't trust internal certification, that's all- but I prefer if the manufacturer admits that it's internal.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 11th 2017, 7:52pm

With both Rolex and Omega, we are shown time and again their facilities and their striving to produce superior products. I can't even imagine them playing ducks and drakes with their product claims. I have yet to see a claim of Omega's self-testing being a ruse or marketing BS.

Sure, this is a hobby where the hyperbole of brands both large and small is shoveled to us constantly, where BS is sold along with leather straps. However, as I've probably written about far too many times here, I used to work next to Sieko's U.S. HQ in Mahwah, NJ. I used to eat lunch with a couple of the guys since my company and theirs had a big outdoor space in back of our respective buildings with picnic tables and such. And all those guys talked about was quality and value and wanting to be part of a great company.

And this was Seiko. It's easy to be cynical; I myself am a person of meager talents but gigantic ambitions. I'd like to think that there are businesses that want to be the best they can. Seiko, Rolex and Omega produce good watches with a high level of transparency. The minute I get so cynical that I think every product claim is BS - especially by brands with stellar track records - I'll find another hobby.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » March 11th 2017, 9:15pm

TemerityB wrote:With both Rolex and Omega, we are shown time and again their facilities and their striving to produce superior products. I can't even imagine them playing ducks and drakes with their product claims. I have yet to see a claim of Omega's self-testing being a ruse or marketing BS.

Sure, this is a hobby where the hyperbole of brands both large and small is shoveled to us constantly, where BS is sold along with leather straps. However, as I've probably written about far too many times here, I used to work next to Sieko's U.S. HQ in Mahwah, NJ. I used to eat lunch with a couple of the guys since my company and theirs had a big outdoor space in back of our respective buildings with picnic tables and such. And all those guys talked about was quality and value and wanting to be part of a great company.

And this was Seiko. It's easy to be cynical; I myself am a person of meager talents but gigantic ambitions. I'd like to think that there are businesses that want to be the best they can. Seiko, Rolex and Omega produce good watches with a high level of transparency. The minute I get so cynical that I think every product claim is BS - especially by brands with stellar track records - I'll find another hobby.

Well said.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to The Omega Forum