Michael Phelps’s Chance to Rebuild His Brand

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

Michael Phelps’s Chance to Rebuild His Brand

Postby koimaster » August 10th 2016, 3:45pm

Michael Phelps’s ferocious gold-medal return to the pool here Sunday night made it clear he is serious about using the Rio Games to extend his legacy as the most decorated athlete in Olympic history.

Now he will see if adding more Olympic hardware to his historic collection serves his other purpose here: rebuilding the personal branding empire that was severely downsized after his brief retirement and a 2014 drunk driving incident.

Rather than become the rare athlete that carries a blue-chip marketing machine into a lucrative retirement, Phelps watched his sponsorship portfolio shrivel—ending relationships that could have formed the foundation for his future.

Now, his agent says, he is seeking to rebuild his corporate persona—with the Rio Olympics as his springboard.

“The significance of the Olympic platform” can’t be overstated, said Peter Carlisle, who has represented Phelps since he was a teenager and ​is spending 10 days in Rio to meet with potential partners interested in funding a second retirement. He said business opportunities were not the sole reasons why Phelps decided to make another Olympic run, “but it is a significant incidental benefit.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rio-2016-mi ... 1470688646

http://timeandtidewatches.com/raynaldae ... aelphelps/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Michael Phelps’s Chance to Rebuild His Brand

Postby codguy » August 10th 2016, 3:55pm

Smokes weed, gets drunk and still kicks the worlds ass :Beerbang:
I see nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for the Cecil.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » August 11th 2016, 12:32am

^^^^Yeah, that...^^^^

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 32771 » August 11th 2016, 4:36pm

He has a very short shelf life right now with sponsors. Hope he gets what he can as quickly as he can.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 11th 2016, 8:06pm

I could give a rat's patootie about Phelps and his "brand." My favorite Olympic athlete is fellow swimmer Ryan Lochte, who, according to only about 100 stories in all the gossip columns, is dating this woman:

Good heavens. I'm not made of wood, guys. I mean, she's so beautiful it's unfair.

I've read more online articles about Lochte and Kayla Rae Reid, a former Playboy Playmate, than I have about his swimming accomplishments. Apparently, they met on Tinder. She's actually in Rio hanging out with Lochte during the games.

Knowing you guys, you'll now type her name into Google images - and good heavens, you really should.

Go Olympics!
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » August 12th 2016, 5:23am

No wonder Lochte, and his blue hair, wasn't devastated when he didn't medal in his final individual race. She is going to make it ok.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » August 12th 2016, 9:19am

TemerityB wrote:I could give a rat's patootie about Phelps and his "brand." My favorite Olympic athlete is fellow swimmer Ryan Lochte, who, according to only about 100 stories in all the gossip columns, is dating this woman:

Good heavens. I'm not made of wood, guys. I mean, she's so beautiful it's unfair.

I've read more online articles about Lochte and Kayla Rae Reid, a former Playboy Playmate, than I have about his swimming accomplishments. Apparently, they met on Tinder. She's actually in Rio hanging out with Lochte during the games.

Knowing you guys, you'll now type her name into Google images - and good heavens, you really should.

Go Olympics!

Very cute..she resembles, in my eyes, the current love interest of the Arab-American leader in the FX show Tyrant...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » August 12th 2016, 3:29pm

...and just look at that thigh gap!
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby hcharles » August 12th 2016, 4:08pm

Falstaff wrote:...and just look at that thigh gap!

Fantastic!!!
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 18th 2016, 2:13pm

Well, turns out that maybe it's good that Lochte got lucky with his dick - since it appears he's a major one:

That’s the worst part of what Lochte and his stable of stumble-bumbling swimmer pals have done the past few days, now that it’s apparent that whatever might have happened to them late one night — actually, early one morning — in Rio, it wasn’t exactly the way Lochte described it the first time around. In fact, it seems apparent that Lochte and his cohorts in chaos — Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen, all swimmers representing the US in a decidedly different way than Katie Ledecky and Michael Phelps did — were using the old “robbed-at-gunpoint” chestnut as cover for what was apparently a gas station encounter with a security guard and, quite hilariously, a bathroom door.

Maybe panicky athletes from Kazakhstan or Kenya or Kuala Lampur might have reacted similarly and seized on the easy (though rooted-in-reality) narrative presented for months, that Rio was a cross between the Wild West of yore and the Fort Apache Bronx of the 1970s. Maybe it would have occurred to a rower from Rwanda or a decathlete from Denmark or a sprinter from Spain to go that way. Maybe. But that’s not who did this.

Ryan Lochte — Ugly American with a truly ugly hairstyle — did it.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/ryan-locht ... americans/
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to The Omega Forum