Is Maurice Lacroix next for Inflicta?

Is Maurice Lacroix next for Inflicta?

Postby koimaster » October 2nd 2017, 11:38am

Eight employees lost their jobs. DKSH is still looking to sell the brand after selling Glycine to the American group Invicta.

The watchmaking company Maurice Lacroix dismissed eight employees last week. Brand owner, the Zurich group DKSH explains that it had to take this measure for economic reasons. The company based in Saignelégier (JU) currently employs about 70 people.

The information revealed on Monday by the regional radios RFJ and RJB was confirmed at the ats by a spokesman of the Zurich group. DKSH intends to continue "the optimization efforts at Maurice Lacroix, but at the same time will continue to invest in the brand".

This measure is to be seen in the context of the economic situation in the watch industry, the absolute figures being still and well below the record years, explained the spokesman. A social plan is under negotiation.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Is Maurice Lacroix next for Inflicta?

Postby TemerityB » October 2nd 2017, 2:48pm

Oh, hell, no.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » October 2nd 2017, 8:18pm

Sadly, but it could happen.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 2nd 2017, 9:08pm

Well, at least we may see some bargain basement prices on current models.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 2nd 2017, 9:59pm

biglove wrote:Well, at least we may see some bargain basement prices on current models.

Possibly, for the average consumer--but alas, not for us, the collectors who tend to move stuff along down the road. The stench of Invicta will devalue the brand (assuming they buy it) to the point that you could dump an ML, brand new in box, on the sidewalk, go into a bar for a beer, and when you come out, the watch will be there, on the pavement, and the box will be stolen.

While I liked many of MLs offerings, it seems, in the end, that there are simply too many mid-tier brands out there. It's all about the name, baby, and ML kind of blended in to all the others in the price range.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » October 3rd 2017, 7:27am

conjurer wrote:
biglove wrote:Well, at least we may see some bargain basement prices on current models.

Possibly, for the average consumer--but alas, not for us, the collectors who tend to move stuff along down the road. The stench of Invicta will devalue the brand (assuming they buy it) to the point that you could dump an ML, brand new in box, on the sidewalk, go into a bar for a beer, and when you come out, the watch will be there, on the pavement, and the box will be stolen.

If you're buying to flip, move on, mark up etc then sure - but most people don't do that, and surely not with MLs. Used demand has never been a major factor in buying an ML, and it won't become one now. I agree, for consumers - who make up pretty much 100% of their customer base - there are nice opportunities now to pick-up-a-piece at tast-ee dollar money.

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 3rd 2017, 7:53am

DKSH = Dunces, Knobs, SHitheads.

As if sending one respectable brand to Davy Jones' Locker of horology wasn't enough for them...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 3rd 2017, 9:52am

conjurer wrote:

While I liked many of MLs offerings, it seems, in the end, that there are simply too many mid-tier brands out there. It's all about the name, baby, and ML kind of blended in to all the others in the price range.

Great stuff, all on the money.

The sad thing about all this is that Maurice LaCroix is one of the most ignored and misunderstood brands out there for reasons I can't comprehend. Some of their higher end stuff was a good as anything any company has made during the past 30 years or so. Their Double Retrograde series has features that other brands would charge $5,000 more for, and the craftsmanship is just as good. Many of their modified movements (I hesitate to use the term "in house," because lots of of 'em are based on other ones, with the exception of a handful that I'm not even sure they still make) are gorgeously finished. And take a look at their website and tell me some of those new models aren't hotter than Kingsford.

Used to see 'em at one store in NYC but once it closed, no presence here at all that I know of. I think the perception of ML is similar to what some snobs think of Ebel, Edox, Seiko, Baume & Mercier, and on down the line: Make some quartz models that end up gray and you're tainted as an El Cheapo brand that "isn't as good." As if there's not a difference between a Double Retorgrade watch or their incredible Masterpiece Mysterious Seconds Revelation and a simple dress watch.

Fucking Invicta wouldn't know what to do with stuff this good.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby hcharles » October 3rd 2017, 1:35pm

TemerityB wrote:[Fucking Invicta wouldn't know what to do with stuff this good.

So very true. Great insight.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » October 3rd 2017, 1:53pm

They would slowly turn it into Stuhrling the Second.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » October 3rd 2017, 2:52pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Great stuff, all on the money.

The sad thing about all this is that Maurice LaCroix is one of the most ignored and misunderstood brands out there for reasons I can't comprehend. Some of their higher end stuff was a good as anything any company has made during the past 30 years or so. Their Double Retrograde series has features that other brands would charge $5,000 more for, and the craftsmanship is just as good. Many of their modified movements (I hesitate to use the term "in house," because lots of of 'em are based on other ones, with the exception of a handful that I'm not even sure they still make) are gorgeously finished. And take a look at their website and tell me some of those new models aren't hotter than Kingsford.

Used to see 'em at one store in NYC but once it closed, no presence here at all that I know of. I think the perception of ML is similar to what some snobs think of Ebel, Edox, Seiko, Baume & Mercier, and on down the line: Make some quartz models that end up gray and you're tainted as an El Cheapo brand that "isn't as good." As if there's not a difference between a Double Retorgrade watch or their incredible Masterpiece Mysterious Seconds Revelation and a simple dress watch.

Fucking Invicta wouldn't know what to do with stuff this good.

Well written..as an owner of both Ebel & ML., I'd hate to see ML become an Invicta sub-brand...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Maurice Lacroix