The Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver

The Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver

Postby koimaster » July 30th 2014, 9:46am

The Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver was formally introduced at Baselworld back in 2013, where it won over crowds of journalists with a vintage inspired design just too simple to pass up. As difficult as it is to stand out in the vintage dive watch market, Maruice Lacroix seems to have struck a chord with the Pontos S Diver. Now that the watch has had a chance to settle into the market, we’ve decided to see just how well it’s held up by giving it a week on our wrist.

The Elusive Dive Watch Formula

Maurice Lacroix is no stranger to the sports watch category, having a robust line of over sized chronographs within the Pontos line perfectly content with living and dying with the trends. They have never been watches to garner much attention from the enthusiasts among us. Lacroix has gone to great lengths to change that perception, and though remnants of the old still linger, watches like the Pontos S Diver offer a promising glimpse at what we can expect moving forward.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/maurice-la ... s-s-review

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver

Postby eddiea » July 31st 2014, 8:16am

Expensive...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 31st 2014, 8:33am

eddiea wrote:Expensive...

Yup. I'd rather go with a Seiko MM at half the price and use the difference to take the watch on vacation to Mexico.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 31st 2014, 8:34am

Still meh...and the price? LOL

There are more accomplished divers available already for that money.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 31st 2014, 8:37am

conjurer wrote:
eddiea wrote:Expensive...

Yup. I'd rather go with a Seiko MM at half the price and use the difference to take the watch on vacation to Mexico.

:Thumbsup:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » July 31st 2014, 8:50am

As a non diver, I really like the looks of this watch. The price, no so much, especially because almost everything ML tanks on the secondary market.

At 2K used, I'd take this any day of the week and twice on Sunday over an MM300. Of course the MM300 kinda sucks as a watch when not in the water clinking and clanging all over the place with its poorly finished clasp and ill fitting end links and fingerprint magnet bezel.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 31st 2014, 8:53am

iwasbanned wrote:As a non diver, I really like the looks of this watch. The price, no so much, especially because almost everything ML tanks on the secondary market.

At 2K used, I'd take this any day of the week and twice on Sunday over an MM300. Of course the MM300 kinda sucks as a watch when not in the water clinking and clanging all over the place with its poorly finished clasp and ill fitting end links and fingerprint magnet bezel.

:nnui:
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » September 26th 2014, 3:31pm

Bit busy for me.
Maurice seemed to come out of nowhere a couple years back and become a "fad," sort of like Oris around the turn of the century
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » September 27th 2014, 2:55am

iwasbanned wrote:As a non diver, I really like the looks of this watch. The price, no so much, especially because almost everything ML tanks on the secondary market.

The ML it is an appealing package/desk diver I agree, but with a subpart movement (for the price)....Sellitas is an adequate movt. but not wort it, not at that price point anyway.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 27th 2014, 7:40pm

eddiea wrote:

The ML it is an appealing package/desk diver I agree, but with a subpart movement (for the price)....Sellitas is an adequate movt. but not wort it, not at that price point anyway.

I don't think it's worth that price with the ETA, either. With the way everything gets reworked, I think I'd be ok with the SW in there, but wouldn't buy it with either movement without a very deep, WoW kind of a discount. The plates and the bridges are probably pretty solid, jewels is jewels, everything that would get replaced on the 2824-2 would get popped into the SW, springs and balances and whatnot.

I've seen these for about 2 G's'ish on steel (the bracelets have always been great) at a couple of gray sites, a pretty cool price for a something a little different. And there's just enough shiny stuff and whatnot; the innovative seals on the bezel knob that are operable underwater, (I think that's also true of the pushers on the chrono version) the requisite desk-jockey helium valve, lots of lume, interesting crowns; not for me. I think the chrono version is nicer looking, and although equally ridiculously priced, they sell the crap out of them and the chrono is a scarce find for a reasonable price at retail or pre-owned.

The prices will stabilize and the watches will hold their value with Maurice Lacroix's destined inveteracy. I could more than double on the ones I bought early, never sell them though, I'm sorry I ddin't buy lots more.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » September 27th 2014, 7:48pm

One at WUS on leather for $1950. Nice looking watch but I would get something else for that money.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-mau ... 69865.html
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Return to Maurice Lacroix