Hands-On Review: Longines Legend Diver

Hands-On Review: Longines Legend Diver

Postby Darksider » July 28th 2016, 9:12am

Written by Robert-Jan Broer, July 26, 2016

We at Fratello Watches are keen on re-editions of vintage timepieces of certain eras, but they need to be very well executed in order to succeed as such. Perhaps this also explains why certain watches that never changed that much are often a brand’s key to success; take the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak “Jumbo” or the Rolex Submariner, for example.

You can’t really say that modern versions of these watches are re-editions, because their production has (mostly) never been halted. A good example of a well-executed re-edition is — in my opinion — the OMEGA Seamaster Ploprof 1200M. Another example is the watch that I review here, the Longines Legend Diver.

Approximately 50 years ago, Longines had a very similar diver watch, with an automatic caliber 290 Longines movement inside. This 42-mm Longines Diver watch had dimensions that are similar to the current Longines Legend Diver watch. Longines did a good job in revamping this icon from its own history.

A quick search on eBay tells me that these vintage Longines Diver watches can easily go for up to $8,000. (see below photo of the vintage Longines, captured from eBay). If you are not prepared to pay that, or don’t want to risk the pitfalls I’ve previously discussed of the buying vintage watches, you can always consider its re-edition: the Legend Diver by Longines.

http://www.watchtime.com/blog/fratello- ... end-diver/
Darksider
Founder

Re: Hands-On Review: Longines Legend Diver

Postby TemerityB » July 28th 2016, 10:58am

I really like both that model and the Hydro Conquest.

Paging conjurer... :wink:
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to The Longines Forum