Vintage Longines

Vintage Longines

Postby four of diamonds » June 26th 2014, 7:41pm

These two made their way back to the homestead from my watchmaker yesterday.

The first is a late 60's or perhaps early 70's Admiral. Per the inscription on the back this was a 25 year service award dated 1971 for an employee of Merek & Company, Inc. When I bought it the crown was missing (torn off) and the crown tube was damaged. The original box and papers were part of the purchase and looked like it was worn only a few times before it was damaged, then put away until I bought it. The bracelet is a Kreisler Steelflex, which looks original to the watch. It is uncanny that the bracelet fits me perfectly, so it is staying on the watch. My son told me it was creepy that I would wear a watch that last belonged to a dead guy. I told him using his mobile phone as his timepiece with its multiple alarms and reminders has in no way impacted his habitual tardiness and that a watch would likely cause him to later than his usual. Anyway, the dead guy, whose name is on the back of the watch, doesn't need it anymore.

The Admiral has a caliber 505 movement, which was originally produced by the Record Watch Company. Longines acquired Record in 1961 and began using their "5XX" movements shortly thereafter. For Longines collectors the "5XX" movements are not as desirable as Longines in house designs. However the Record movements are well made and my bet is that there are more "still on the road" than Volvo's from that era. I am wearing the Admiral today; very comfortable cushion case and bracelet. And its keeping excellent time.

The second is a 60's Grand Prize. The scan of the dial is not great, but you get the idea. For reasons I don't fully understand, many folks want a Grand Prize with this dial. In the 60's Longines produced a Conquest model with a similar dial, except the center portion functioned as a power reserve complication. This one does not have that complication. It also has an interesting stubby second hand that fits within the center portion of the dial, of course to count seconds. I have seen this dial configuration on other Grand Prize pieces that have the date at 12 and a full size second hand. I have not seen many with the date at 3 dial configuration. The 10K GF case has some wear and tear. Gives it some character. The movement is likely a Longines 17 jewel 343 or 345 which had a unique offset ball bearing rotor mechanism. Its been on my desk running since yesterday and is accurately keeping time. I have a few leather bands that fit the GP. Suggestions on color are welcome.

I forgot to remind my watchmaker to get the movement serial numbers on these pieces, so the production dates are educated guesses. Both are top loaders and I don't have the tools (or the skill) to open them for a peek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
four of diamonds
Master of Time

Re: Vintage Longines

Postby fenny » June 26th 2014, 7:50pm

Nice watches and write up. Love the GP. Black leather strap.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » June 26th 2014, 8:45pm

Like them both but that GP dial...sweet!

Congrats!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » June 26th 2014, 9:17pm

:okk: Very nice!
Gold and black go well with a white dial. I do not see any other color, that You could "pick up". But sometimes it takes a couple of attempts for me to find something suiteable.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby four of diamonds » June 27th 2014, 5:06am

I have a few Longines black leather bands in my stash and and maybe gold filled Longines buckle. Will post it later.
four of diamonds
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » June 27th 2014, 8:44am

:bsdferqw:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder