Hamilton Basel 2017 - Revives an Icon

Hamilton Basel 2017 - Revives an Icon

Postby koimaster » January 11th 2017, 11:43am

For the past several years, Hamilton has been inviting watch press to a preview of their Basel novelties right here in New York City. It is a fun way to kick off the approaching release season, which begins in earnest later this month with SIHH. Yesterday, we visited with the Hamilton team at the Ace Hotel to see a sample of what the w&w-favorite has brewing for 2017.

http://wornandwound.com/hamilton-basel- ... ives-icon/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Hamilton Basel 2017 - Revives an Icon

Postby Rusty » January 11th 2017, 1:54pm

Some interesting models, especially the vintage look chrono. But at 42mm with a thin bezel, it looks like Hamilton wants to have their cake and eat it too.

I have said it often that it astounds me that they do not have a definitive diver to compete with so many companies around the globe.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » January 11th 2017, 2:03pm

Rusty wrote:I have said it often that it astounds me that they do not have a definitive diver to compete with so many companies around the globe.

Agreed...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » January 11th 2017, 2:09pm

Intramatic wins....
Others -esp. a 100 meter "diver" (not the first one they made)- are a meh for this Hamilton fan.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » January 11th 2017, 4:36pm

I own a Khaki auto diver that's about a year old, but to most, it seemed to go over like a lead balloon. It's rock solid, 2824, not too large at 42mm, and I like it. But you guys are right; as hackneyed as it may sound to some, Hamilton's lack of a signature "Hamilton diver" probably keeps the brand from getting the market share it should.

On the other hand, I'd walk a mile for one of the new Broadway chronographs, so what do i know. Koi's article revealed another thing that's true about Hamilton: When their designs overreach, they can put out some really garish stuff. They keep mutating the Ventura when they should simply put out a traditionally designed (and sized) one in an auto, but, hey, what do I know.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Hamilton