Five Affordable Hamilton Watches

Five Affordable Hamilton Watches

Postby koimaster » November 7th 2016, 12:24pm

Five Affordable Hamilton Watches for New Collectors

Written by WatchTime, November 3, 2016

Founded in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1892, Hamilton watches became synonymous with precision timekeeping, supplying pocketwatches to railroads, marine chronometers for ships, and clocks for aircraft. Today, Swiss-owned Hamilton offers a wide range of timepieces at accessible prices. Here are five models* we can recommend for new collectors.

Pilot Pioneer Auto

Hamilton’s Pilot Pioneer watches are inspired by timepieces the company manufactured for the British Royal Air Force in the 1970s. There’s a chronograph version, but we’ve selected the time-and-date model because, at less than $1,000, it offers very good value. Officially, the 41-mm case is described “round”, but for practical purposes, the look is asymmetrical, owing to the crown-side construction. The lugs have a slightly different shape, allowing them to form part of the crown-guard system, along with a piece mounted between the crowns. The top crown adjusts the inner ring that carries the 60-minute scale, giving the user an effective countdown timer. The bottom crown handles the traditional winding and time-setting functions. The H-10 Hamilton automatic caliber is visible through a display back, and it offers an 80-hour power reserve.

http://www.watchtime.com/blog/affordabl ... ollectors/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Five Affordable Hamilton Watches

Postby foghorn » November 7th 2016, 4:53pm

That Pilot Pioneer Auto sucks ass!!

I liked it and looked at a few at the local Tourneau. On all 3 that I tried the screw down crown that rotates the inner bezel is fucked up. When you unscrew it and set the bezel to whatever time it alwaysmoves the setting by 2-5 minutes when you screw it back down. Always!!
I also read reviews to this effect. I would have bought one if not for this fatal flaw.

And screw Watchtime and their pretentious claim that watches over a grand are "affordable"

That is all.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby bedlam » November 7th 2016, 5:14pm

'Affordable' at over $1000 is complete BS. On this Juan and I are in agreement.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Professir » March 8th 2017, 11:33am

I will have to agree.....$1000 is a LOT of money for some of us. I am ordering a Khaki King next week after a LOT of research. But, I will readily admit my requirements are somewhat unique. I wanted something light, VERY easy to read, no extra complications that I don't use, rugged and common movement and not pretensions. (I could care less if anyone knows what is on my wrist!) So the final decision for me was Day/date, or the 42 date only. I oped for the day/date.

While I agree Hamilton is remarkable for the price mark, the 5 he picked would not have been mine. But, its always nice to see others views.
Professir

Postby koimaster » March 8th 2017, 11:46am

Have you looked into Hamilton Intra-matic? I regret selling mine off but it went to a good home.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Professir » March 8th 2017, 11:50am

That's a pretty one indeed!
Professir

Postby Racer-X » March 8th 2017, 11:53am

I'm on the lookout for a Thin-O-Matic, can be had for $500 or less.

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Hamilton