Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Dedicated to Dive watches

Re: Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby foghorn » May 9th 2018, 3:57pm

Were you , at one time , using the name "the great Mazinger" elsewhere?

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Pubbie » May 9th 2018, 4:09pm

When I look at this watch I see

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » May 9th 2018, 4:20pm

foghorn wrote:Were you , at one time , using the name "the great Mazinger" elsewhere?

When I look at this watch I see

^^^^

Slopo?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 9th 2018, 7:42pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Stephenmazinger wrote:Being in the watch industry for many years...

The "industry insider" backstory is on just about every single "about us" page at the blogs. Count me unimpressed. While the fifth column of the industry hailing from greed alone is bad, a fifth column hailing from the industry itself is even worse.

Stephenmazinger wrote:...has brought me to where I currently am

That'd mean "kissing Kickstarter microbrand arse in the middle of nowhere."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t do my reviews for approval or acceptance from other watch enthusiasts or for the approval of the watch companies.

A few blogs have tried that story already, and so far most of them ended up consisting of - pro maiori parte - sponsored content. Or - even worse - they became watch peddlers themselves.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am bored with the soulless rehashed designs of the endless barage of sub clones out there.

Reviewing homage watches from microbrands is so against the grain, isn't it? Oh, and It's "barrage", not "barage."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t base my likes on watch size...

Actually, you do:
It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches and if that wasn’t bad enough...

Stephenmazinger wrote:I understand when you have dainty, wrists that are floppy, any watch over 29mm won’t work for you.

Two shots at guessing which of the two commas that you've used is completely redundant.

Stephenmazinger wrote:If people read my reviews and take something away from them...

Well, that's not even one big "if", as taking something away from them would require said "something" to be there in the first place.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am left unsatisfied

Then visit a brothel. Or, if you're Welsh - which with your apparent obsession with bestiality wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - a pasture.

Stephenmazinger wrote:disappointed

Predictably. A vacant mind graced with a single-figure IQ usually is.

Stephenmazinger wrote:and underwhelmed.

Conj, got a stash of Cabriole table legs? However - on second thoughts - I'm also thinking of the Pine Barrens. Or Cabriole table legs and a trip to the Barrens, not necessarily in that order.

This is more of what I had hoped for, now we are getting somewhere. I think that I have found a new home here.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby bedlam » May 9th 2018, 7:52pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Stephenmazinger wrote:Being in the watch industry for many years...

The "industry insider" backstory is on just about every single "about us" page at the blogs. Count me unimpressed. While the fifth column of the industry hailing from greed alone is bad, a fifth column hailing from the industry itself is even worse.

Stephenmazinger wrote:...has brought me to where I currently am

That'd mean "kissing Kickstarter microbrand arse in the middle of nowhere."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t do my reviews for approval or acceptance from other watch enthusiasts or for the approval of the watch companies.

A few blogs have tried that story already, and so far most of them ended up consisting of - pro maiori parte - sponsored content. Or - even worse - they became watch peddlers themselves.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am bored with the soulless rehashed designs of the endless barage of sub clones out there.

Reviewing homage watches from microbrands is so against the grain, isn't it? Oh, and It's "barrage", not "barage."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t base my likes on watch size...

Actually, you do:
It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches and if that wasn’t bad enough...

Stephenmazinger wrote:I understand when you have dainty, wrists that are floppy, any watch over 29mm won’t work for you.

Two shots at guessing which of the two commas that you've used is completely redundant.

Stephenmazinger wrote:If people read my reviews and take something away from them...

Well, that's not even one big "if", as taking something away from them would require said "something" to be there in the first place.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am left unsatisfied

Then visit a brothel. Or, if you're Welsh - which with your apparent obsession with bestiality wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - a pasture.

Stephenmazinger wrote:disappointed

Predictably. A vacant mind graced with a single-figure IQ usually is.

Stephenmazinger wrote:and underwhelmed.

Conj, got a stash of Cabriole table legs? However - on second thoughts - I'm also thinking of the Pine Barrens. Or Cabriole table legs and a trip to the Barrens, not necessarily in that order.

This is more of what I had hoped for, now we are getting somewhere. I think that I have found a new home here.

And you worked out the quote function. Small mercies abound.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 10:43pm

koimaster wrote:I am really enjoying this thread. HF would be having a blast with this.

Me too! And you're right--HF is probably looking down at this from the WIS Valhalla, smiling as he refills his ram's horn with mead.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » May 10th 2018, 12:42am

I'm chewing dry ciabatta sprinkled with sugar, ran out of popcorn.
"I like it, I like it a lot!"

"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby biglove » May 10th 2018, 5:25am

There is so much wrong about this watch that I don't have the time or energy to discuss.

And while the lighting in most of the photos is respectable, the setups are just ridiculous. A Hulk doll, dangling on a twig, on the street, in a puddle? Seriously?

My IQ cannot stand the hit it would take from reading that "review."
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 10th 2018, 5:29am

I thought the pictures were OK. At least they took some attention away from the watch. However there were way too many.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby codguy » May 10th 2018, 5:56am

Cecil............

The op watch is not only fugly, it is hideous as well.

Cecil over
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » May 10th 2018, 6:22am

The website loads quickly, even with all those photos.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » May 10th 2018, 6:41am

Makes me wonder who the target customer base is? First thought was the special needs home to go with their pinwheel hats, but then I realized they are not allowed sharp or heavy objects.. even if some do wear helmets.
Last edited by svaglic on May 10th 2018, 8:51am, edited 1 time in total.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 10th 2018, 8:32am

Racer-X wrote:The website loads quickly, even with all those photos.

Post o' the week!
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » May 10th 2018, 8:51am

This watch must be a real hit at Geeks 2.0, I imagine shit always rises to the top over there. Something for everybody.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 10:42am

I am very happy that there is a place for all the basement boys living with their parents have a place to come together to discuss watches in a very positive manner, full of well thought out intellectual comments.

Or to put it in the terms you guys can relate to, enjoy licking each other’s nut bags. Only took me 5 or so posts to get there.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 10:52am

biglove wrote:My IQ cannot stand the hit it would take from reading that "review."

Sums up exactly how I feel about posting here.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby foghorn » May 10th 2018, 10:56am

If we like a watch we say so. If we don't like a watch we say so too. We call 'em like we see 'em and to be honest, most of the watches you feature in your blog are pretty gnarly in the eyes of most of us. That doesn't make you,or us, bad people. You stepped up quite well in early posts , giving it right back and defending yourself. I thought you might have potential here . This isn't the place to come looking for the "If you can't say anything good,say nothing at all" crowd. That crap is reserved for the other places. One should never just come here looking for strokes and for others to enjoy a similar taste for shit. Perhaps a place called WIT would be a better place for you to introduce yourself if you haven't already. Those guys like big , fugly watches and say all sorts of nice things about them.

And most of us don't live in basements of our parents homes. Hell,mine are long since passed and the house sold. My current home doesn't even have a basement for chrissakes.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2018, 11:01am

Stephenmazinger wrote:This is more of what I had hoped for, now we are getting somewhere. I think that I have found a new home here.

Jolly good! As I may have mentioned, we really need a punching bag at this joint, and you'll do just fine as one. Most spammers' usefulness runs its course all too quickly, meaning they run away after the first round of walloping.

There was one Steve here not so long ago, also beyond punchable, the spastic. A bellend extraordinaire, if I may say so. Can't recall for how long did we keep him before we took him to the Pine Barrens... Surely it wasn't long enough for us to psychologically traumatize the wanker properly, but something tells me that now we're going to have the fun that we didn't have the last time.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 11:13am

foghorn wrote:If we like a watch we say so. If we don't like a watch we say so too. We call 'em like we see 'em and to be honest, most of the watches you feature in your blog are pretty gnarly in the eyes of most of us. That doesn't make you,or us, bad people. You stepped up quite well in early posts , giving it right back and defending yourself. I thought you might have potential here . This isn't the place to come looking for the "If you can't say anything good,say nothing at all" crowd. That crap is reserved for the other places. One should never just come here looking for strokes and for others to enjoy a similar taste for shit. Perhaps a place called WIT would be a better place for you to introduce yourself if you haven't already. Those guys like big , fugly watches and say all sorts of nice things about them.

And most of us don't live in basements of our parents homes. Hell,mine are long since passed and the house sold. My current home doesn't even have a basement for chrissakes.

Just defending what I do. Calling my pictures and my ideas shit is something that I will always defend. I definitely don’t expect everyone to like the watches that I review. I can give two fucks about that, everyone is entitled to buy what they like. I’ve seen guys comment like the one’s here in all facits of life. Quick to criticize, but don’t do jackshit themselves in terms of anything productive. I would like everyone who criticized my work to try it out themselves and see how well they do. Almost every comment on this post has no offer of constructive criticism, just negativity to be negative. Which if that what floats your boat, whatever. But I am not just going to sit by without saying a word or kiss ass to fit in. I have respect for what you guys have done for charity and what you do for members who have passed away, for that you have my respect. I am not going to lose sleep over people not liking my reviews. I work my ass off taking pictures, trying to improve, offer a different review experience and if anyone bashes on that, I say fuck off until you actually have your own successful blog.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 10th 2018, 11:45am

Mr. Mazinger, please provide info on how you come by the watches you review. Are they purchased with your own money, or provided free from the manufacturer. Also, please provide a link to a watch you reviewed that you didn't actually like, or wrote a negative review.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 11:54am

conjurer wrote:Mr. Mazinger, please provide info on how you come by the watches you review. Are they purchased with your own money, or provided free from the manufacturer. Also, please provide a link to a watch you reviewed that you didn't actually like, or wrote a negative review.

I only pick watches that I like to review. If I don’t like a watch, I don’t review it. Would you buy a watch that you didn’t like? I don’t write negative reviews. I suggest things in my reviews that I would change on a watch that I believe would improve it. It’s called constructive criticism something that I know is foreign to this forum.

The watches I review come to me in a number of ways, purchased, traded, donated, loaned, etc....not that is any business of anyone but my own. I am a one man operation with no sponsors, reviewing watches as a hobby, something that I enjoy. I say respectfully fuck off all you Judge Judys, until you actually do what I do on your own.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby foghorn » May 10th 2018, 11:56am

FWIW I earlier stated hat your photos were OK. Problem is the subject matter. I appreciate good photography but you need a good subject for the photo to be effective. Way back in the day Bob Guccione had some nice soft focus layouts in Penthouse, but if he had a photo spread of Phyllis Diller I doubt that they'd be widely appreciated. Unless you were going for the Diane Arbus effect your pics of ugly watches probably won't be complimented much.
It appears that you did a bit of research/reading here and I'm surprised that you actually thought that members here would be partial to your blog. Hell, we even give REL Adams a hard time, and you ain't him. Take that as good or bad.
You seem like a nice enough guy, but you should have known better.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 12:06pm

foghorn wrote:FWIW I earlier stated hat your photos were OK. Problem is the subject matter. I appreciate good photography but you need a good subject for the photo to be effective. Way back in the day Bob Guccione had some nice soft focus layouts in Penthouse, but if he had a photo spread of Phyllis Diller I doubt that they'd be widely appreciated. Unless you were going for the Diane Arbus effect your pics of ugly watches probably won't be complimented much.
It appears that you did a bit of research/reading here and I'm surprised that you actually thought that members here would be partial to your blog. Hell, we even give REL Adams a hard time, and you ain't him. Take that as good or bad.
You seem like a nice enough guy, but you should have known better.

I definitely did not come here for your approval of my blog, certainly something that I am not interested in.

You are incorrect on subject matter unfortunately. Photography is an art form, an artistic process. You can certainly have your opinion on a piece of art/picture but no one but the artist/photographers can truly judge it. It’s a personal, individualistic and creative process. I don’t take my pictures for approval of anyone, I don’t write my review for anyone’s approval. I definitely am not trying to be any other reviewer. Comparing one reviewer to another is like comparing Jackson Pollock to Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn.

My signature and my response will be Fuck off to all the Judge Judys here until you start your own successful blog.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 10th 2018, 12:16pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:
conjurer wrote:Mr. Mazinger, please provide info on how you come by the watches you review. Are they purchased with your own money, or provided free from the manufacturer. Also, please provide a link to a watch you reviewed that you didn't actually like, or wrote a negative review.

I only pick watches that I like to review. If I don’t like a watch, I don’t review it. Would you buy a watch that you didn’t like? I don’t write negative reviews. I suggest things in my reviews that I would change on a watch that I believe would improve it. It’s called constructive criticism something that I know is foreign to this forum.

The watches I review come to me in a number of ways, purchased, traded, donated, loaned, etc....not that is any business of anyone but my own. I am a one man operation with no sponsors, reviewing watches as a hobby, something that I enjoy. I say respectfully fuck off all you Judge Judys, until you actually do what I do on your own.

Interestingly, many of us here have posted reviews of watches, some very far back (I posted my first review on WUS about ten years ago.) Now, you can post whatever you like on the interwebz; it's nothing to me. However, posting a writeup (on your own blog, hurray!) that says little about a watch but how brilliant or outstanding it is seems to me to have very little to do with a "review."

Since you've gotten so sensitive to my question about where you get your "review" samples, I would contend that most of them are provided by micros who are looking to get some good digital ink, which makes you a logroller at best, or a shill at the worst.

We don't care for shills around these parts.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 10th 2018, 12:19pm

Thanks for the avatar!!!!

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

PreviousNext

Return to Dive Watches