Field Test: SCUBA Diving in Belize

Dedicated to Dive watches

Field Test: SCUBA Diving in Belize

Postby koimaster » March 6th 2018, 9:29am

Field Test: SCUBA Diving in Belize With Four Popular Dive Watches from Seiko, Oris, and Rado

March 6, 2018
Words By Allen Farmelo

I finally go SCUBA diving and am immediately vexed to learn that wearing a dive watch underwater can be considered far more pretentious than sporting one on dry land. I didn’t see that bit of irony coming when I happily hauled multiple dive watch reissues to a tiny island in Belize’s Turneffe Atoll, part of a significant coral World Heritage Site where I spent a week venturing into this incredible sport.

Indeed, if anyone groks the gratuitousness of dive watches, it’s divers themselves, all of whom use dive computers. So foreign are watches in today’s SCUBA scene that exactly zero of the many avid divers on my trip wore one, and my dive master—legitimately concerned I’d ruin the glimmering Rado Captain Cook on my wrist—reminded me to take it off as I kitted up for my first dive. I sheepishly explained, “Oh yeah, that. I’m actually going to wear a different watch each day we dive and write about them.” One of her eyebrows shot up, and then she broke into a melodic Belizean belly laugh.

Despite their presumed uselessness, the watches turned out to be helpful for timing my safety stops. Upon ascending, recreational divers hover at a depth of 15 feet for three minutes to assure that enough pressurized nitrogen has left the body. Many modern dive computers automatically start a three-minute countdown, but my rented unit had neither this function nor a stopwatch. Craftily, I relied on the old-school bezel timers, and after a couple days my fellow divers and I were signaling time confirmations back-n-forth. Eventually, an inkling of watch-pride began to surface with me after each dive. ... oris-rado/

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Re: Field Test: SCUBA Diving in Belize

Postby conjurer » March 6th 2018, 10:00am

That article didn't blow as much as I had feared.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 6th 2018, 10:43am

conjurer wrote:That article didn't blow as much as I had feared.

Well IMHO it made me blow chunks of Big Mac all over my desk. The cat'll eat them though.

"As she woke and gently swam away, I fogged my mask with tears of adoration and compassion for this fellow air-breather, a creature who embodies both the majesty and vulnerability of the oceans. Her mere presence opened my heart. "

FFS. Dude,it's a fucking turtle.

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 6th 2018, 11:09am

To be honest, I only read the watch parts; I can tune out blather at 50 paces, even when reading.

Not awful, and the last Seiko SPB053 really is a beauty, and from all accounts, a bargain on top of it. I actually saw those ADPT straps at the Worn & Wound fair in NYC last fall. They're glorified NATOs, but they have a security band on the underside so that if your spring bar gets loose and pops off, the watch stays on your wrist.

Return to Dive Watches