and yet MORE Turtles

Dedicated to Dive watches

and yet MORE Turtles

Postby JAS1125 » November 28th 2017, 11:12am

One of the biggest releases of 2016—at least in terms of response and overall adoration from press and enthusiasts alike—was undoubtedly Seiko’s SRP77x “Turtle,” a reissue of Seiko’s iconic ref. 6309 diver. I know numerous collectors who own at least one iteration from this series, and to put a fine point on it, I’m wearing my personal SRP777 as I write this post. Now, I love this watch, as do many others, but I’ll concede that it’s not for everyone. At a hair over 44mm, the SRP is admittedly too large for some wrists, and I’ve heard from a handful of people that they’d buy one if the case were a touch smaller.

Well, it looks like Seiko is (or at least, Seiko Japan is) capping off the year with an answer for those very people—introducing the SRPC35K1, SRPC37K1, SRPC39K1, and SRPC41K1 divers, four new watches from the Japanese firm that eager fans have already nicknamed the “Mini-Turtle.”

Ok, that may be a bit misleading. This isn’t just a scaled down take, but rather it’s a surprisingly fresh reinterpretation of the SRP template. An evolution, if you will, and the longer you look at this new series you begin to realize it’s more of its own thing.

The 200-meter rated case measures 42.3mm and features a crown at three o’clock, a departure from the ever-so-slightly recessed crown of the SRP, which is positioned at four. The cushion case here is familiar, though it’s different enough from the classic 6309/SRP silhouette. It has a bit of a Seiko 6105-8000/Doxa vibe, just softened around the edges for a more organic look. A Hardlex crystal sits atop the case.

Powering the watch is Seiko’s 4R36 caliber, which offers hacking, hand-winding, 41 hours of power reserve and a beat rate of 21,600. It’s a solid, mid-tier movement from the brand, and it should provide years of reliable service.

The dials here are also familiar, but like we saw with the case, the overall aesthetic is a bit softer. The hour markers are rounded and the elongated day/date at three has been abandoned for a simple date with a rounded cyclops. The handset is the classic sword and arrow combination with only a slight change to the base of the hour hand. As far as dial text is concerned, the watch has all the expected Seiko and Prospex branding.

The SRPC35K1 and SRPC37K1 are both black-dialed, black bezeled divers; in fact, they’re essentially the same watch but for the accompanying strap. The former comes mounted on a stainless steel bracelet, and the latter comes on a two-piece silicone band. Then there’s the SRPC39K1, which boasts a matte blue dial and blue bezel. And finally, we have the SRPC41K1, which is the PADI co-branded iteration with its identifying pepsi bezel, red-lined minute hand, and wavy black dial.

In addition to these new models, there are also two new “Turtle” colorways for the Japanese market: one with a black bezel and sunburst grey dial (ref. SRPC23K1), and a second one with a blue/black bezel and what appears to be a blue sunburst dial (ref. SRPC25K1). I will work to confirm the finish of the blue dial.

Pricing on this set is yet to be determined, and I’ll update this space when that information is made available. As I wrote above, these are JDM releases, but if these catch your eye, then you shouldn’t let that stop you when they become available.

http://wornandwound.com/seiko-releases- ... colorways/
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Re: and yet MORE Turtles

Postby conjurer » November 28th 2017, 12:08pm

New Turtles? I'm pulling my dick out right now, especially with some new colourways!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » November 28th 2017, 12:34pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Pubbie » November 28th 2017, 2:52pm

Hot diggety, I just spunked my pants!

I'd be all over one of these. Bought overseas of course, as the sweating mouth-breathers in charge of Seiko UK hardly ever import any regular Seiko worth having, and when they do they ask Rolex money for them. £430 for a Turtle here...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » November 28th 2017, 5:19pm

Damned shame they didn’t drop them to 40mm. The cushion case on my Turtle wore far larger than 44mm.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » November 28th 2017, 5:25pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Racer-X » November 28th 2017, 7:24pm

42mm. Hmm, my old PADI may be on the way out. Maybe Seiko figured out how to align the chapter ring...nah.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 28th 2017, 8:21pm

Racer-X wrote:42mm. Hmm, my old PADI may be on the way out. Maybe Seiko figured out how to align the chapter ring...nah.

:lol:
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » November 28th 2017, 8:24pm

42mm? Is that a lady's or boy's size?

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » November 28th 2017, 11:05pm

Actually, I've looked at these again, and can't imagine a reissue Japanese dive watch with the crown at the three.

This wartche is dead to me.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » November 29th 2017, 12:02am

conjurer wrote:Actually, I've looked at these again, and can't imagine a reissue Japanese dive watch with the crown at the three.

This wartche is dead to me.

Missed that, and mostly ruins it for me as well. They're smaller so that huge 3 o'clock crown doesn't dig a hole in your wrist.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » November 29th 2017, 12:33am

smellody wrote:42mm? Is that a lady's or boy's size?

In Rolex terms wouldn't 42mm be considered oversized?? ;-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 29th 2017, 12:39am

Racer-X wrote:42mm. Hmm, my old PADI may be on the way out. Maybe Seiko figured out how to align the chapter ring...nah.

Bought both mine from AD's. Both were fine.

Where you source seems to be part of the issue. Certainly, if you are buying from some drop-shipper who sources from a 'grey dealer' you risk any kind of factory seconds. And if an online seller has a note on their website stating they might send you a faulty product...well you'd have to be pretty stupid to buy from them IMO.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » November 29th 2017, 4:45am

smellody wrote:42mm? Is that a lady's or boy's size?

Ladyboys! And skinny-wristed pooftahs of course. Real men rely on the extra 2mm ;)
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » November 29th 2017, 5:47am

Dear Seiko,
Enough with the Turtles already!!!

beauregards,
foghorn
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MAX » November 29th 2017, 5:51am

Yeah, no. Just no.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby JAS1125 » November 29th 2017, 6:20am

Seems to be the same case, although this is advertised at 44mm?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40016
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » November 29th 2017, 6:34am

First look, yes. Second look (because of that stupid crown position), no!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 29th 2017, 8:51am

MAX wrote:Yeah, no. Just no.

Hell, no.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Dive Watches