Found A Divex Watch On An Indian Ocean Shipwreck

Dedicated to Dive watches

Found A Divex Watch On An Indian Ocean Shipwreck

Postby koimaster » September 11th 2017, 10:04am

“It’s the Captain’s watch,” Felician Fernando said as I struggled aboard the small panga boat and stripped off my heavy diving kit. He was holding out his open hand, in his palm a wristwatch, crusted in salt. After an hour underwater, I squinted in the bright tropical sun and leaned closer to examine it. Of course, Fernando was joking. We had just finished diving the HMS Hermes, a sunken British warship that was sunk by Japanese bombs in 1942 five miles off the East Coast of Sri Lanka. The watch in his hand wasn’t a World War II-era Royal Navy Omega, but a modern quartz diving watch and despite its condition, it was still dutifully ticking. Even the date was correct.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/divex ... 1cc48dd36b

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Found A Divex Watch On An Indian Ocean Shipwreck

Postby bedlam » September 11th 2017, 5:48pm

Its weird he is running a single tank and a bailout bottle (slung on his front) at what looks less than 30m (there seems to be a lot of natural light which would suggest less than 30m).

Normally you take a bailout for decompression diving or deep no-deco dives where you might burn your air (though I find you hit deco limits at 40m+ long before the air runs out in a 12l tank like he is carrying.

Possible he is taking it along because as an air redundancy for problems that might arise when penetrating the wreck I guess.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Re: Found A Divex Watch On An Indian Ocean Shipwreck

Postby AlbertaTime » September 11th 2017, 6:44pm

A month under those conditions and still working--that's not bad for a stencil brand Chinese case housing (usually) a Seiko movement.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Dive Watches