Diving Pioneers and Innovators

Dedicated to Dive watches

Diving Pioneers and Innovators

Postby koimaster » June 24th 2017, 12:09pm

The first time I met chuck, I was presenting a slid show on the Red Sea to a tough audience form San Diego Underwater Photographic Society. At the time they were putting on the most prestigious underwater film on the west coast.» For two days every year they filled the giant civic opera house for their shows. I was a carpetbagger from Orange County trying to get my slideshow accepted in the show, and felt about as welcome as Bill Clinton at the Fox News studios. When I finished the presentation, I looked at the frowning faces of the judges. But Chuck walked up to me and said, “Congratulations. That was the best show we’ve seen here in a long time.” I was blown away that Chuck Nicklin, world renowned photographer, cinematorapher, and diving pioneer, would make the effort to encourage a nobody like me.

Nicklin and a large, old video housing in the 1980s Chuck has encouraged a lot of nobodies who later became somebodies. Some of today’s leading underwater shooters, including Howard Hall, Marty Snyderman, and his son, Flip, got their start working for Chuck at the Diving Locker. Unlike photographers who feel threatened by newcomers, Chuck is secure in his own ability to keep raising the bar. And he’s still raising that bar as he approaches his 80th birthday. Most divers of the pioneer era have hung up their fins or moved on to the great coral reef in the sky. Chuck is still at the top of his game, traveling the world and capturing the action in high definition video, and leading trips to exotic locations with his wife, Roz. He has been an underwater shooter for nearly 60 years, ranging from stills in National Geographic to Hollywood movies, television, and IMAX films. Beginning as a breath-hold spearfisherman before the introduction of scuba, Chuck opened one of the west coast’s first dive shops, the San Diego Diving Locker. He learned from some of the early legends: Jim Stewart, Connie Limbaugh, and Ron Church; then helped the next generation get started.

https://www.tdisdi.com/diving-pioneers- ... cklin/#top

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Dive Watches