1968: 93 diving watches, 7 ' 260 dives

Dedicated to Dive watches

1968: 93 diving watches, 7 ' 260 dives

Postby koimaster » June 20th 2017, 9:03am

I found this at the German Speaking blog https://diveintowatches.com/2015/08/12/ ... auchgange/

Rather than make everyone use google translate I have posted it here in English. Good information in this article and at the blog.

The great memory of the former professional scout, author, diving historian and editor of the English Historical Diving Society Peter Dick, we have to thank for the fact that today, almost 50 years after the first publication, Has so far not come under the eye: a practice test of a total of 93 dive watches on over 7 ' 200 dives.

In 1966 presented British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) Equipment Investigation Committee a so on, which should take care of the reliability of diver's watches also. - then, logically, not just a " vital part of the diver ' s equipment " , but, surprisingly, and the most vulnerable from the perspective of the BSAC: In 1968 BSAC presented - Member Geoff Harwood found that ...

"... the majority of the complaints and allegations of faulty equipment and unsatisfactory deals with manufacturers and distributors have been concerned with diving watches "

A somewhat sobering circumstance, which led to the decision to put an extensive practice test among the members in order to determine " the extent of the problem " .

The multiple interesting in my view result in 1968 during a BSAC - published conference with the not entirely flattering conclusion:

"... even if you buy an internationally famous watch costing over £ 50 you still stand a fair chance of finding it full of water when you come to start your decompression schedule after a deep dive "

Viewed with a little less British humor, of course, is still true today, " did since so few of each make are Represented we can not draw a conclusion as to ' best buy ' or to definitely not recommend a Certain watch " , even if me follows extensive Test has not yet come under the eye. And, of course, we would like to wish you a short time machine in the future .

ImageImage

A few things, which are still noticeable in the review:
◾By far the most dives (1'900) were made with watches by Zodiac, with 13 models at the same time also most frequently in the test represented
◾The 10 models tested by Seiko (780 dives) remained tight (100%), with the second-placed models of Rolex (9 watches, 980 dives) obviously failing a clock (89%) for unknown reasons, and Zodiac There was at 9 of 13 watches a waterfall (69%)
◾Rolex represented the most expensive tested brand at
◾At that time not quite unpopular brands like Blancpain, Doxa and the like. Are not represented in the test, which may be related to the fact that from the original 39 brands all those who were represented with only one watch could not be considered; The list thus does not represent the then market, but the stock of watches available within the organization
◾Seiko reached the second highest score in satisfaction (80%)

Note tables: "Completely satisfied" meant that owners had not left any negative comments in the questionnaire, "Completely dissatisfied" that watches had been repaired from the start incorrectly or not to the satisfaction of the owner.

https://diveintowatches.com/2015/08/12/ ... auchgange/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: 1968: 93 diving watches, 7 ' 260 dives

Postby foghorn » June 20th 2017, 1:31pm

Oh, what fun we would have had were there a Peter Dick living in my old neighborhood.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » June 20th 2017, 5:50pm

So only Seiko didn't leak. Hmm.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » June 20th 2017, 6:04pm

Fake news.

Rolex is the best. This plank obviously worked for Consumer Reports and loves Toyota.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 20th 2017, 7:21pm

Freakin' great article. The fact it's from the 1960s is beyond cool. I'd really enjoy it if someone did a similar survey today.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » June 20th 2017, 7:58pm

smellody wrote:Fake news.

Rolex is the best.

:shaka:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby rruegger » June 21st 2017, 10:34am

koimaster wrote:Rather than make everyone use google translate I have posted it here in English. Good information in this article and at the blog.

Thanks!

There's also an English version of this specific article available: http://www.watchtime.com/blog/dive-watch-wednesday-how-did-your-favorite-watch-brand-do-in-this-test-from-1968/

Best,

Roger
rruegger
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » June 21st 2017, 10:48am

rruegger wrote:
koimaster wrote:Rather than make everyone use google translate I have posted it here in English. Good information in this article and at the blog.

Thanks!

There's also an English version of this specific article available: http://www.watchtime.com/blog/dive-watch-wednesday-how-did-your-favorite-watch-brand-do-in-this-test-from-1968/

Best,

Roger

Welcome to the forum Roger and thanks for the blog, I enjoy reading it.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby rruegger » June 21st 2017, 11:54am

koimaster wrote:Welcome to the forum Roger and thanks for the blog, I enjoy reading it.

thanks a lot for the kind feedback!
rruegger
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Dive Watches