Mort's Moldy Mechanical Mutterings for 22 June 2017

Mort's Moldy Mechanical Mutterings for 22 June 2017

Postby Mortuus » June 22nd 2017, 12:38am

Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Mort's Moldy Mechanical Mutterings for 22 June 2017

Postby Thunder1 » June 22nd 2017, 3:47am

Wow!!..excellent write up for a neat watch that appears to be in excellent condition after all of these years..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 22nd 2017, 5:50am

That's purdy, goddamn it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » June 22nd 2017, 6:01am

Nice watch and first of a series Mort!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Mortuus » June 22nd 2017, 6:44am

Many thanks for your very kind words, gentlemen...you, too, Conjurer. What a great bunch o guys! 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 22nd 2017, 6:59am

smellody wrote:Nice watch and first of a series Mort!

Thanks, Dr. Smells. Actually, though, this is merely a continuation of my Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machine of the Month series, but I left out the "Month" part because it's a gen-u-wine pain in the keestoi' to write up a full review each and every single damned freaking month! That, and this new format makes it a lot faster and easier to crank these puppies out, so I can post them as frequently (or infrequently) as I like, which ain't too shabby at all, mon ami. 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » June 22nd 2017, 7:51am

It's always a pleasure to see a moldy review. I love the new format, one suggestion..... put the watch name, model and movement in a sentence before the first slide, that way it can be pulled up in a search function. It adds to the vintage information here.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » June 22nd 2017, 7:55am

Coolest watch I have seen so far this year , well done amigo!.... 8-)
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » June 22nd 2017, 8:43am

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » June 22nd 2017, 12:00pm

That is one cool watch Mort!
I been thinking of doing this with a LeCoultre movement/dial I have. I love that strap too.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 22nd 2017, 1:07pm

Regarding identifying the innards of it, if you'd post a pic and the diameter of the movement, I'm sure it can be identified. Back then, Zenith used mostly the diameter in lignes as a calibre number, the layout as such would have a letter code for it, so the whole calibre number would be, say, 18'''NVSI, 19'''NVSI, and so on.

As to repainting, I think you couldn't do that even if you wanted to, as the dial appears to be enamel- which cannot be repainted. That said, I seriously doubt you will ever face the need to do anything with the dial, as long as the watch won't be exposed to shocks; non-shockproof movement aside, that could cause "hairlines" to appear, and in the worst case scenario, shattering the enamel to the extent where parts of it will fall off.

Generally, a decent conversion- fortunately, it looks like the stem wasn't cut, and the neck appears mostly intact. Conversions with altered necks and stems are a plague.

Heck, wish I had a pocket Zenith. But who knows what will the next flea market hunt (whenever that may be- could be in a month, could be a year from now...) bring.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on June 22nd 2017, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 22nd 2017, 3:38pm

Looks to be in fantastic condition for its age. An interesting conversation piece on the wrist and an excellent review. Have missed the Moldy reviews and glad to see them return.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » June 22nd 2017, 5:18pm

Outstanding Mort,

While I'll never own such a thing, please tell me where you got the aftermarket alligator bund. It reminds me of the old Invicta Legarto straps - which were one of the few things they got right (and I still like).

Great watch.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 11:19am

svaglic wrote:It's always a pleasure to see a moldy review. I love the new format, one suggestion..... put the watch name, model and movement in a sentence before the first slide, that way it can be pulled up in a search function. It adds to the vintage information here.

Many thanks, Allison! Yours is one of the opinions I was looking forward to receiving. That's an excellent suggestion, and I'll ensure that's a part of the format in all future submissions. Many, many thanks for the terrific feedback, my friend. 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 11:27am

eddiea wrote:Coolest watch I have seen so far this year , well done amigo!.... 8-)

Muchas gracias, Sr. Ardanza! Siempre estoy muy contento de ver lo que tienes que decir,
como has sido y seguir siendo un mentor para mí. ¡Y lo has hecho muy bien, señor! 8-)

Por cierto, ¿hablabas en serio de que "Speedway" Invicta era un reloj que querías?
:scratch:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 11:54am

bobbee wrote:That is one cool watch Mort!
I been thinking of doing this with a LeCoultre movement/dial I have. I love that strap too.

Thanks, bb! As you know, that's some difficult work, but in the end, I believe it's all worth it. Is that something you will do yourself, or do you have a trusted watchmaker who will do this without breaking the bank?

The strap is very attractive, but even better, it's so comfortable that I really have been able to wear it while relaxing without becoming annoyed or having my wrist get irritated with me...
8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 12:17pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Regarding identifying the innards of it, if you'd post a pic and the diameter of the movement, I'm sure it can be identified. Back then, Zenith used mostly the diameter in lignes as a calibre number, the layout as such would have a letter code for it, so the whole calibre number would be, say, 18'''NVSI, 19'''NVSI, and so on.

As to repainting, I think you couldn't do that even if you wanted to, as the dial appears to be enamel- which cannot be repainted. That said, I seriously doubt you will ever face the need to do anything with the dial, as long as the watch won't be exposed to shocks; non-shockproof movement aside, that could cause "hairlines" to appear, and in the worst case scenario, shattering the enamel to the extent where parts of it will fall off.

Generally, a decent conversion- fortunately, it looks like the stem wasn't cut, and the neck appears mostly intact. Conversions with altered necks and stems are a plague.

Heck, wish I had a pocket Zenith. But who knows what will the next flea market hunt (whenever that may be- could be in a month, could be a year from now...) bring.

Many thanks, Bloke! That's something I'll have to see if I can arrange; in all candor, I had a full servicing done on it, so I'm reluctant to do any more internal exploring, at least for a while.

One of the things I learned early on as a USN pilot was all about corrosion and corrosive forces, and one of the basic things we picked up on was that the color red (right down to the pigment level) is the "canary in the coal mine" that lets you know there are corrosive forces at work on your painted surfaces. Of course, as you point out, it's far different with watches, though still, red does tend to fade early in the vast majority of multicolor applications. The dial in this presentation does display some fading -- and, admittedly, I had to go to my loupe to see it -- but given its age and overall condition, it's really in superb overall condition, and not something I'd even think of doing anything with for the foreseeable future.

As to the 'painting of dials issue,' I genuinely appreciate the excellent information you've provided. Based on what you've told me, I now suspect that my two budso's who told me they had repainted their dials actually replaced them. Which makes a lot of sense. And while this watch certainly doesn't get 'babied' -- I love wearing it when I head out in my old roadster, which means it gets some sun -- it is otherwise somewhat pampered and certainly not an everyday wear for me. I really don't think I'll ever have to do anything preservation wise with this dial.

Anyway, many thanks for the excellent advice and info, bb; these things are the main reasons why WatchLords is my online horological home (and, quite frankly, why we still continue to grow while other sites are rapidly headed into life support territory). HAGWE, my friend, and thanks again...
8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 12:34pm

biglove wrote:Looks to be in fantastic condition for its age. An interesting conversation piece on the wrist and an excellent review. Have missed the Moldy reviews and glad to see them return.

Many, many thanks, el Loafo Grande! As always, you're very kind. I too am glad to see the MMMM's coming back, and in a format that doesn't kill me. The above presentation was something that I knocked out in about two and-a-half hours; I had fun with it, it's very easy, and I didn't get typing fatigue; it takes roughly 15 minutes from picture edit to finished "page," whereas the other way was a constant trudge, with no end in sight... Anyhow, Loaf, many thanks, mi amigo. 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 1:40pm

jaw wrote:Outstanding Mort,

While I'll never own such a thing, please tell me where you got the aftermarket alligator bund. It reminds me of the old Invicta Legarto straps - which were one of the few things they got right (and I still like).

Great watch.

Many thanks for your very kind feedback, my friend. I think you're going to be amused by the answer to your question. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a couple:

And here, at last, is the reveal... 8-)

And you're absolutely right: that's one thing they DID get right. This strap was on a corduba, or some such thing, and they had them offered for $99 bones each, so I bought four of them, tossed the watches and used the ally-gator straps on other projects. To date, I've sold three of the four straps, but this one's sticking around, I think, as I really love this watch.

Thanks again for stopping by for a read, and I really appreciate your letting me know how I did, Jawman.
8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » June 23rd 2017, 3:50pm

Mortuus wrote:
eddiea wrote:Coolest watch I have seen so far this year , well done amigo!.... 8-)

Muchas gracias, Sr. Ardanza! Siempre estoy muy contento de ver lo que tienes que decir,
como has sido y seguir siendo un mentor para mí. ¡Y lo has hecho muy bien, señor! 8-)

Por cierto, ¿hablabas en serio de que "Speedway" Invicta era un reloj que querías?
:scratch:

Si , me refiero al modelo COSC automatico de Invicta...
Last edited by eddiea on June 23rd 2017, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » June 23rd 2017, 3:51pm

I think that's my favorite of your oldies, mort - I'm generally not a big fan of lugnitized pocket watches, but as noted above, yours looks nicely done, and the dial is very cool. Fun read about a cool watch from a defining period in Zenith's history.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 9:10pm

eddiea wrote:Si , me refiero al modelo COSC automatico de Invicta...

Ah, ya veo. Yo también quería uno de esos, pero tenía que conformarse con el cronógrafo automático Seiko. Pero tengo que decirte que el reloj que me hace más feliz es mi Panda de Fortis. Es el mejor reloj que tengo. Siempre apreciaré su permitirme la oportunidad de obtenerlo ... 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 23rd 2017, 9:22pm

3Flushes wrote:I think that's my favorite of your oldies, mort - I'm generally not a big fan of lugnitized pocket watches, but as noted above, yours looks nicely done, and the dial is very cool. Fun read about a cool watch from a defining period in Zenith's history.

Thanks muchly, flushes; it's certainly gotten to be among my favorites, though I, like you, am not normally pro-lugnitization; too many bad things can happen. Nonetheless, the Lugnitizer in this case performed miraculous work, and the lugs look like they've always been there.

In the end, though, it was that dial that sold me on the watch, and when I got that legarto strap in place, it looked like horological perfection. Well, close to perfection...
;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machines