Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machine of the Month: April 2015

Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machine of the Month: April 2015

Postby Mortuus » April 29th 2015, 1:41am

When I was a young lad, growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles (which I have come to less-than-affectionately refer to as "Smell-A" these days -- that's what living in San Diego County does to you), one of the biggest treats a kid could hope for was a trip down to Hollywood to enjoy a movie at one of the large, iconic theaters there. We're talking places with names like the Pantages, Sid Grauman's Chinese and Egyptian theaters, and the old Loyola. For my money (which was pretty much non-existant back in the day), though, the best of all of them was the Pacific's Cinerama Dome. The place had -- and still has, to my knowledge -- literally hundreds of speakers built into the ceiling and walls, along the rim of its semi-circular auditorium, for what was truly a surround-sound experience that predated Mr. Dolby's contribution to motion picture sound achievements by a good 25 years. The wide, curving screen required at least three projectors to show the movies of the time that were filmed in what was called the "Cinerama Technique."

Over the years, I watched many a film in this hallowed and now venerable theater, starting with "This is Cinerama" when I was four, and ending with "Star Trek III: the Search for Spock" nearly 20 years later, but my all-time favorite was 1966's "Grand Prix," starring James Garner, Yves Montand, Toshiro Mifune and Brian Bedford. As this lavish film about four Formula I drivers competing for the world title begins, there are a series of shots of racing cars, drivers and other images that multiply from the single picture to two, four, eight and more of the same shot, the frames growing progressively smaller but nonetheless compelling as the roar of F-1 engines -- all in 360-degree sound, of course -- is heard in the background. And to that seven year-old little boy named Mortimer, the most compelling of these seemingly random shots was of a hand holding a stopwatch, thumb extended, ready to plunge downward on the pusher and start the timing of the next lap. This was followed by an equally compelling shot of a triple-mounted set of stopwatches being used by a member of one of the many pit crews lining the track at strategic locations. It was during these momentary images, I think, that the seeds were planted that would one day grow into my love affair with watches (fast cars and racy women would come later).

And it was these memories that came to mind the first time I laid eyes on the Omega Chronostop watch.

Like "Grand Prix," the Chronostop was introduced in 1966. It was expressly designed to track events that typically lasted less than one minute. To that end, OMEGA modifed one of its Lemania movements specifically for this function (and "badged" it as the Omega 865), and its operation is, to say the least, very unique. You press the lone pusher once to start the sweep-second hand, then press it again to stop it, but you don’t release it until you’re ready for it to reset, presumably so you can record elapsed times, etc. Once the pusher is released, the sweep hand snaps back to zero, and is immediately ready to go again. There hasn’t been another watch like the Chronostop since the mid-1970s, when the last few left OMEGA’s Bienne workshops, headed for export. While not as versatile as a full-fledged chronograph, the Chronostop was built in various guises; dive watches, driver’s watches, the somewhat ambiguous "sport models," and still others with myriad colored dials and even a few with rotating inner bezels.

The beautiful example featured in this edition of the MMMMotM is, to my way of thinking, the most unique version of this truly unique model: a driver's watch that is worn on the inside of the wrist, with the placement of the hour markers rotated 45 degrees to the right so that the time can be seen without removing one's hands from the steering wheel. (In other words, for you folks in Rio Lindo, the 12 o'clock position has been shifted over to what would be the three o'clock posit on a conventional watch, thus allowing a quick glance at the watch without shifting one's hands from the wheel -- or the control yoke, if you're a conscientous civilian flyer.)

Technical Particulars

Brand: Omega
Model: Chronostop Geneva
Model Number: 145.010
Year of Manufacture: Circa 1969-70
Country of Origin: Switzerland
Movement Type: Mechanical
Caliber: Omega 865, 17-jewel mechanical
Functions: Two-hand analog time, single-pusher 60-second chronograph-style timer.
Case Size: 34mm top-to-bottom (not including crown), 38mm lug tip-to-lug tip (or 1.25" X 1.5," for those of you in Rio Lindo).
Case Material: Stainless steel
Case Back: Stainless steel, enclosed
Water Resistance: 60m / 200ft
Dial: 12 o'clock marker is at 3 o'clock position to facilitate quick glance without removing hands from steering wheel (when worn on inside of wrist, as designed).
Dial Color: Charcoal
Crown: Original, signed
Lug Width: 18mm
Crystal: Acrylic, original
Strap: Leather rally-style, single fold-over deployant clasp.
Misc. Notes: High-visibility orange-colored timing seconds hand. Single pusher and crown are located at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions, respectively.

Appearance

Ever since I began to collect watches nearly eight years ago, I have often been reminded of the old bromide that tells us, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." Or, put a bit more appropriately for us 'armchair Horologists,' some watches are more attractive than others, while still others are downright fugly. However, if it happens to be a watch we've wanted for a long time, or if it has that killer movement that really is in short supply, or even if it's so ugly that it's actually attractive, we almost certainly do a bit of that 'beholder' thing, dismissing the less-than-attractive features and focusing in on those things that make us do so much of that silly, goofy I'm in love stuff whenever we glance down at our wrists and see that lovely watch face looking up at us, equally as smitten with us as we are of it. (Or, as is the usually the case with a few of us 'out there' types, it's an indication that it's time for a change of medication...)

Of course, with this particular Omega, you don't have to look too hard to find some genuine beauty. Take a look at the chapter ring, for a start:

I really like the look of what I call the "alternating minute marks," which are minutes offset from each other all the way around the dial. But the detail doesn't stop with just that; each minute is broken down into ten-second increments, thereby allowing an extra level of accuracy for the seconds hand. But does it actually work, Mort? I hear you ask. Why, of course it does, I answer indignantly. (In truth, though, I really don't know for sure; the doggoned ten-second indicating lines are so small that the tip of the seconds hand blocks out a couple of them at a time. There's that, along with the fact that I really can't see them unless I haul out my way-cool, super whammy-dine workbench magnifying light...and it's not like I can carry that around with me in a pocket.)

Other cool visual stuff, in no particular order: the orange seconds hand and Greek letter for "Omega" provide a small element of color that really -- and, if you'll forgive my use of a word that's, well, even gheyer than ghey -- pops from the charcoal dial. And let's just face it; charcoal is a very classic, even sophisticated color that never goes out of style; add on polished silver-colored baton hour markers, and the visual balance on the dial is a subtle -- but nonetheless elegant -- mix of color, texture and brightness. The designers at Omega also took the extra trouble of mixing a brush-textured bezel with highly polished sides, again providing a subtle-but-beautiful element to the watch's stainless steel construction. Finally, the entire look is tied together with a signed Omega crown and highly-shined pusher.

I don't usually focus in on the bracelet or strap when I sit down to write a watch review, unless, of course, it's been a pain in my backside for some reason, or it's an highly unusual (read: expensive -- or, for you folks in Rio Lindo, " 'spensive, Loosee."), even beautiful piece of work. (Besides all of that, the word strap has been largely ruined for me by the disgusting way that Mike "Mongo" Davis and Jill "Rosie Greer Arms" Somerstein pronounce the word. His is a sort of midwestern twang meets Texas drawl, with the end-result being something that sounds a lot like "strayup." Yee-fucking-haw, endomorph cowboy. And Jill's lispy, mush-mouthed, cover-the-desk-with-spit abomination comes out sounding like "schtrahhp." The only thing that sounds worse coming out of her enormous pie-hole is the word "tritnite." Ugh...)

Anyhow, the previous owner of this amazing watch (my buddy, [The Big] Kahuna) installed a superb-looking rally strap that really ties into the whole "driver's watch" style Omega's got going with this piece. It doesn't just look spiff, uh-uh, nosiree...it looks positively Spaceman Spiff! (Cue the Star Trek music, please; thanks...) The black leather is trimmed out with an off-white thread that matches the hands' remaining tritium lume material by day -- and, for that matter, by night, as well, since the original "lumey stuff" (sorry to use such a difficult-to-pronounce, highly technical term) is all worn out and produces nothing even close to a glow.

Nonetheless, it still looks amazing, and even though I gave some thought to changing the strap over to a grey colored rally with orange stitching, I kept coming back to how cool the watch looks in its as-is configuration, and I repeatedly put off making any changes for the foreseeable future. Because when something is working well for you, change merely for the sake of change is bad ju-ju. (No, really...)

Engineering

As already mentioned in the Introduction and Technical Particulars sections, Omega modified one of its 'everyday' Lemania movements to create the stopwatch feature that is at the heart of this beautiful watch. The remaining function -- basically a two-handed mechanical watch -- performs flawlessly and is very easy to use. There are no date or day windows to worry about, which is always a nice thing when you're in a hurry and need a watch that sets and winds both quickly and thoroughly. The "simple" addition of a date or a day feature makes the watch that much more difficult to set; add both features, and you're suddenly in the wind-and-set-it-the-night-before territory. That's one of the main reasons why I enjoy this watch as much as I do; it's neither complicated nor time-consuming to "set it and forget it." Oh, and if you don't like the whole 'under-the-wrist' thing, you can roll it over to the top of your wrist and use the 9 o'clock position in place of the 12; since there are no numerals on the dial, there shouldn't be any problems with this, though the 12 o'clock position does stand out a bit more than the others.

But what about its accuracy, Mort? you ask. Indeed, that's a very good question, and one that I really have no answer for. I suppose I could hit the pusher and let the stopwatch feature run for a week or so, but I'm not at all sure that doing so would give me all that much by way of determining down-to-the-tenths-of-a-second accuracy of this watch. If anything, all it would probably do is rapidly go through the stored-up kinetic energy -- AKA the power reserve -- and cause the movement to come to a halt that much more quickly. Hence, I made no attempt to determine the watch's overall level of accuracy. It does, however, have a 36-hour power reserve, which ain't too shabby.

Summary

I love this watch. And, seriously, what's not to love? It's an Omega. It's got a one-of-a-kind movement / function. It's easy -- and fun -- to use. It's both light and very comfortable, sitting as it does on the underside of the wearer's wrist. And it's very attractive without going over the top. It's got everything I look for in a vintage watch, and then some. It's sporty without being too flashy. Classic without being dowdy. And it's truly timeless in a day and age when the latest "leap" in horo-technology is a watch that links up with your computer and "smart phone," thus allowing gadgeteers to finally break the 'Dick Tracy Barrier' and make phone calls via their wrist watches. In the end, I'd rather have my Omega Chronostop than any of the electronic gismos people are wearing on their wrists and referring to as "watches."

And seriously, could any of you imagine a "smart watch" in the final scenes of a movie about Grand Prix racing?

Me neither...

As always, many thanks for dropping by and spending some of your priceless time with me. As I always say (and always mean), your visits are far more appreciated than you could ever know.

This presentation is dedicated to the memory of our friend and late Watchlords/Watchforums/BDWF colleague, Horse Feathers, AKA Mr. Clarence G. Morrison, Jr. If you would, please take a few moments to remember him and the many remarkable -- and very humorous -- contributions that he made here. Godspeed, HF...

Horse Feathers: 1961 - 2015

Take care and be well...

Mortuus Praesepultus, Rancho Santa Fe, CA, 26 April 2015
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machine of the Month: April 2015

Postby conjurer » April 29th 2015, 9:58am

That was a nice review and tribute, you damned old goat. And pretty succinct for you as well.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby hcharles » April 29th 2015, 11:02am

Wow, that is some write up, Mort. An interesting read with great visuals, as well as a nice tribute to our late, great friend, HorseFeathers. You done quite well, extraordinaire in all ways. Danke Schoen.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » April 29th 2015, 11:20am

Very well done mort. You almost brought me to tears.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » April 29th 2015, 1:04pm

Thanks for another great read Mort. Cool watch and the antique ads were a nice touch. The diss on smartwatches was very appropriate, but if they remade that movie today I have a feeling that Apple will find a way to get in that scene.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » April 29th 2015, 2:00pm

Mort you is totally chacham as my grandmother used to say about others not me..."very smart" for those in need of translation. My first visit to Cinerama was in 1964 with the release of It's a Mad, Mad World. Reading up on Cinerama I learned that this was the first cinerama film shot with a single 70mm camera vs the older films which were shot with three 35mm cameras and then projected from three different angles in the theater. The sound was mind blowing especially as we lived in an era where high fidelity was a new and very exotic phenomenon. As a young teenager I was listening to monoraul 45s on a turntable with one built-in speaker...the first record I bought was Gene Pitney's "Liberty Valance" which was the theme song for one hella good movie.
Again, great read and your love of watches and all things mechanical really jumps off the page...it POPS!
Speaking of smart watches I met a guy staying at my hotel today who built the inner electrical system that charges the Apple watch. Nice enough guy but also just another tech hack, if you compare him to watchmaking greats like Phillippe DuFour or Kari Voutilainen he is standing in line at the bus station while great watchmakers are soaring through the stratosphere on gilded wings.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » April 29th 2015, 3:33pm

What a great post, thanks Mort. Indeed a watch worthy of such praise.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Ofcmark » April 29th 2015, 4:18pm

I always learn something from you Mort thanks for the added knowledge
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » April 29th 2015, 5:16pm

Great write up, Mort, and a nice tribute to H-F.

Have to say this one is one of my favorites of yours. And that movement, holy crap on a cracker, that thing truly is beautiful and exhibition case back worthy! I like exhibition backs but this one needs one badly.

Your collection of Omegas continues to impress!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 1:20pm

conjurer wrote:That was a nice review and tribute, you damned old goat. And pretty succinct for you as well.

Hmmm...very nice transition, Conj... Anyone got a smoke? :?
Last edited by Mortuus on May 2nd 2015, 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 1:22pm

hcharles wrote:Wow, that is some write up, Mort. An interesting read with great visuals, as well as a nice tribute to our late, great friend, HorseFeathers. You done quite well, extraordinaire in all ways. Danke Schoen.

Thanks so much, HC. You're always very kind, sir...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 1:30pm

Kahuna74 wrote:Very well done mort. You almost brought me to tears.

Many thanks to you, Big Kahuna, both for your praise of the post and, most importantly, for allowing me to obtain this amazing watch from you. I could not be more happy...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 1:38pm

artman wrote:Thanks for another great read Mort. Cool watch and the antique ads were a nice touch. The diss on smartwatches was very appropriate, but if they remade that movie today I have a feeling that Apple will find a way to get in that scene.

Thank you very much, arty. I certainly appreciate the specific areas of feedback, especially regarding my take on the Apple watch; I try not to overtly insult something like that, but I did want to point out areas where the new technology doesn't necessarily come across as the better choice just because it is newer. 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 2:22pm

tiktok wrote:Mort you is totally chacham as my grandmother used to say about others not me..."very smart" for those in need of translation. My first visit to Cinerama was in 1964 with the release of It's a Mad, Mad World. Reading up on Cinerama I learned that this was the first cinerama film shot with a single 70mm camera vs the older films which were shot with three 35mm cameras and then projected from three different angles in the theater. The sound was mind blowing especially as we lived in an era where high fidelity was a new and very exotic phenomenon. As a young teenager I was listening to monoraul 45s on a turntable with one built-in speaker...the first record I bought was Gene Pitney's "Liberty Valance" which was the theme song for one hella good movie.
Again, great read and your love of watches and all things mechanical really jumps off the page...it POPS!
Speaking of smart watches I met a guy staying at my hotel today who built the inner electrical system that charges the Apple watch. Nice enough guy but also just another tech hack, if you compare him to watchmaking greats like Phillippe DuFour or Kari Voutilainen he is standing in line at the bus station while great watchmakers are soaring through the stratosphere on gilded wings.

Wow, Mr. Tok, this is some amazing feedback and, much to my chagrin, I'm finding it difficult to lay out adequate words to respond in kind. Back in 1973 the Pacific's Dome did a one-week revival of This is Cinerama, and even though I had by then acquired my own [el cheapo] stereo (+ 8-track, no less), it was still an amazing experience to watch and listen to that "quaint" old film. Two and-a-half years later, I was watching the original Rollerball at the Dome and marveling at the sound of the big steel ball rolling from the screen and around behind me as each "game" began. Ditto the sounds of the skaters and motorcycles. It was as if the film were made just for the Pacific's Cinerama Dome; it was truly amazing. Heck, if Star Wars VII does a run there, I will gladly make the drive up to Smell-A and watch the film several times, if they let me. 8-)

Many thanks for your very kind words about my writing; you paid me just about the highest complement a writer can receive when you said that my love of watches (and other [moldy] machines) "popped" off the page. Back in my flying daze, I honestly didn't know what I liked best: the actual flying of the aircraft itself or the study of the engineering that made it all possible. I loved aerodynamics, but aerodynamics didn't love me back very much... :?

At any rate, I greatly enjoyed your image of the tech hack at the bus station, but I can't help but wonder where John Cameron Swayze would fall on the bus-station-[bathroom?]-line / gilded-wings-in-heaven continuum.
:mrgreen:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 2:26pm

Racer-X wrote:What a great post, thanks Mort. Indeed a watch worthy of such praise.

Thank you, RX; you're very kind. The watch -- one I'd wanted for quite a while -- made it easy to draw from the "writer's well." ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 2:35pm

Ofcmark wrote:I always learn something from you Mort thanks for the added knowledge

Wow, OM, that truly is an amazing complement, especially when I recall how much of a "newb" I was when I first got here to WL. I'd have never guessed back then that I'd be a vintage aficionado or a WL WIS. Anyhow, thanks so much for your wonderful complement, sir.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 2nd 2015, 2:57pm

biglove wrote:Great write up, Mort, and a nice tribute to H-F.

Have to say this one is one of my favorites of yours. And that movement, holy crap on a cracker, that thing truly is beautiful and exhibition case back worthy! I like exhibition backs but this one needs one badly.

Your collection of Omegas continues to impress!

Many, many thanks, Loaf. I have to admit to having never heard the phrase, "holy crap on a cracker" before, but it's certainly a very colorful way to express admiration for something. Of course, your collection left mine in the dust some time ago, so I'm even more flattered by your very kind post.

There is one of my watches that I'd love to get an exhibition case-back for; my Bulova Ambassador micro-rotor automatic, as presented in my first-ever Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machine of the Month, the September 2014 version, as can be seen here:
http://www.watchforums.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=2020

Again, el Loafo Grande. thanks so much for your very kind feedback. 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » May 2nd 2015, 10:12pm

I don't know why I'm so late to this deal but I'm glad there's some fuckin' Bourbon left, even if there's no cigars, but I guess one can't get to the 24 hour Kroger at 0247 and be pissed off because there are no bagels. Actually, I just keep it inside. Usually.

Mort, your dexterity in serving up the nostalgic ephemera never gets old. I spent many happy hours in the balcony of the Cooper Cinerama, sometimes, even watching a film. Grand Prix was an awesome movie- I do a little E.M.S. impersonation: "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT! IS IT?!! WELL IS IT, HUH YOU SONSOFBITCHES?" It's better if you could see me, I can cry and everything.

Very cool watch, man. One of the nicer O dials of the 70's and certainly one of the most unique movements they ever made. Your nose remains in fine shape, nice catch.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » March 25th 2017, 11:59pm

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby bobbee » March 26th 2017, 1:55am

That is some cool watch, with a professional write up.
You are so lucky, you got the watches and the skill to write about 'em. Kudos Mort. 8-)
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 26th 2017, 4:39am

bobbee wrote:That is some cool watch, with a professional write up.
You are so lucky, you got the watches and the skill to write about 'em. Kudos Mort. 8-)

Many thanks, Bobbee! You're very kind, sir... 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » March 26th 2017, 6:45am

I didn't even know such a watch existed. :scratch:

Always more to learn.

You really have a wonderful way with words, your reviews are always captivating. And that watch is just cool.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » March 26th 2017, 8:02am

Holy crap' Mort. I'd missed this when you first posted. The watch is a remarkable collection piece, but I'm floored by the writing and scholarship. That's a spectacularly informing post, Mort. A classic.

Thank you.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » March 26th 2017, 10:26am

Excellent watch, excellent review....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 27th 2017, 7:17am

SaoGage wrote:I didn't even know such a watch existed. :scratch:

Always more to learn.

You really have a wonderful way with words, your reviews are always captivating. And that watch is just cool.

Thank you, Sao! You're very kind, sir...especially for such a young whippersnapper! ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to Mort's Moldy Mechanical Machines