Yema Watches - France

Watches from Other EU countries

Yema Watches - France

Postby koimaster » February 25th 2010, 7:48am

http://www.yema.fr/

Yema is a watchmaking company in Besançon, France. They claim that their watches "stand out from the rest by virtue of their specific design and technological characteristics".

Founded in 1948 in Besançon (Doubs) by Henry Louis Belmont, the company distinguished itself in the very beginning by creating the first automatic chronometers manufactured entirely in France, and became famous for the technical qualities and sports characteristics of its watches.

Having been owned by Seiko Watch Corporation of Japan since 1988, the company recently returned to French hands via a buyout by Louis Eric Beckensteiner. As a result, a transition is occurring as of September, 2005. The new Chairman has set a target for watch sales of 50,000 in 2005 and 100,000 pieces with a turnover of 10 million euros in 2008.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Yema Watches - France

Postby koimaster » December 16th 2010, 7:24pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby eddiea » December 16th 2010, 7:25pm

Good watches...pricey but good!!
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » December 16th 2010, 7:27pm

France has an amazing horological history and still retains a bit of the industry
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Guest » December 16th 2010, 9:27pm

Ah Shit! I am going to get someone pissed at me now. And, if I were still somewhere else I would be headed here because am sure I would get banned. So, here goes,

I could give a rats ass about France getting back this company. As far as the watches "standing out from the rest" that is kind of like the country itself. When threatened and/or invaded, they stand out doing nothing until someone else comes along to push out the occupiers. Then after doing this not once but twice, and making sure they are able to retain the ability to speak French instead of German, they spit on a Nation that has helped liberate them. My favorite wine is french. I have not tasted it in over 10 years. I eat french fries and French's mustard because, they are really not french. Just like my favorite wine, I would not be surprised at all if they do not make a fabulous watch. I just won't be buying one.

OK, I stuck my neck out so I deserve what is most likely going to come. I do what to say though, even if I get a butt kicking over this from the members, I think it is great that the forum stands aside and let's us have at it as long as we treat one another like gentlemen. Great place to be. Now, you can have at me.

Postby koimaster » December 16th 2010, 10:25pm

Timebender wrote:Ah Shit! I am going to get someone pissed at me now. And, if I were still somewhere else I would be headed here because am sure I would get banned. So, here goes,

I could give a rats ass about France getting back this company. As far as the watches "standing out from the rest" that is kind of like the country itself. When threatened and/or invaded, they stand out doing nothing until someone else comes along to push out the occupiers. Then after doing this not once but twice, and making sure they are able to retain the ability to speak French instead of German, they spit on a Nation that has helped liberate them. My favorite wine is french. I have not tasted it in over 10 years. I eat french fries and French's mustard because, they are really not french. Just like my favorite wine, I would not be surprised at all if they do not make a fabulous watch. I just won't be buying one.

OK, I stuck my neck out so I deserve what is most likely going to come. I do what to say though, even if I get a butt kicking over this from the members, I think it is great that the forum stands aside and let's us have at it as long as we treat one another like gentlemen. Great place to be. Now, you can have at me.

A lot of people feel the same way you do. My parents were French and my father was also a French Marine who fought from 1940-45 and was awarded the Legon of Honor not once but twice. He was later the Miltary Attache at the French Embassy in the US and a member of the UN Human Rights Commission. My mothers brother, my late Uncle John served in the Army Air Corp from 39-46 and saw service in the Pacific. Two other uncles fought as Marines in WWII. They were french also but could not get back to France to fight. I have another uncle buried in Korea, KIA, also a Marine, also french. 19 of my relatives died during WWII including a 8 year old executed by the nazis.

My uncle Jacques, former food editor for American Family Magazine spent 2 years in Buchenwald because a Vichey turned him in. His sister was raped and tortured in front of him.

Ok, that was my comment. Not all french are bad anymore than americans ( we forget the french saved the US back in the day too 2x) or muslims or any other race or country. Good things and bad things about all of them. Louis Vuitton was a Nazi collaborator. Hearst was involved with the Nazis, Lindberg, Longines and Stowa watches were also.

This might be of interest to you.

http://www.hempfarm.org/Papers/Shadow_of_the_Swastika.html

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Guest » December 17th 2010, 6:34am

koimaster wrote:
Timebender wrote:Ah Shit! I am going to get someone pissed at me now. And, if I were still somewhere else I would be headed here because am sure I would get banned. So, here goes,

A lot of people feel the same way you do. My parents were French and my father was also a French Marine who fought from 1940-45 and was awarded the Legon of Honor not once but twice. He was later the Miltary Attache at the French Embassy in the US and a member of the UN Human Rights Commission. My mothers brother, my late Uncle John served in the Army Air Corp from 39-46 and saw service in the Pacific. Two other uncles fought as Marines in WWII. They were french also but could not get back to France to fight. I have another uncle buried in Korea, KIA, also a Marine, also french. 19 of my relatives died during WWII including a 8 year old executed by the nazis.

My uncle Jacques, former food editor for American Family Magazine spent 2 years in Buchenwald because a Vichey turned him in. His sister was raped and tortured in front of him.

Ok, that was my comment. Not all french are bad anymore than americans ( we forget the french saved the US back in the day too 2x) or muslims or any other race or country. Good things and bad things about all of them. Louis Vuitton was a Nazi collaborator. Hearst was involved with the Nazis, Lindberg, Longines and Stowa watches were also.

Certainly I agree with you on every point including past evils such as Nazi sympathizers in this country. As to the french standing against evil, would be wrong to leave out and not recognize the french resistance that hid Jews, attacked occupying troops, assisted escaped POW's and many other acts of bravery. I think so many feel the way I do not ignoring the many sacrifices the French have made but, the way America and Americans are looked down upon by that government and many of it's people today and, after the sacrifices we have made not once, but twice for the French to help end the very atrocities you have pointed out. My first hand personal experience is, an American visiting Berlin, the city in a country we along with others invaded to end two wars will mostly find friendly and welcoming people. And Berlin is by far not the warmest city in Germany to visit. Considering it is a large and busy city. Like many other cities, a lot of people don't know or care that you are there. Visiting Paris in the same year, it is obvious you are looked down upon by many. So much so I left early and returned to Germany. I did not enter either one of those countries with any preconceived thoughts or bias. I do admit that I left one with a new notion and bias that has lasted. I also admit, I have never returned and therefore I may find things are different now but, those that I know that have visited since I have and certainly more recently say it has gotten worse in the last 10 years of so and not better. But, that is of course hearsay and not first hand experience. But with what I experienced and knowing the people so well that I have discussed this with, I have little reason to doubt there truthfulness. If we don't agree on everything we have stated I believe that you and I would certainly agree that prejudice of any form, or the denial or rights and/or respect for any peoples just because they are what they are is wrong and has proven to be one of the most dangerous natures in mankind. My disdain came from not a prejudice for a people because of who or what they are but for the way I and my country are looked at by the masses. Similarly, I recognize we are not very welcome and even hated by many in the Arab world. However, like the french I do not suggest that every Arab is bad. Quite the contrary there are many Arabs, both Muslim and non-Muslim that fight terrorism right along with the rest of the free world. There are many that make there home right here in the USA as productive citizens and even serving in our military. But, I am not going to be visiting the mid east any time soon. I do not expect the French to waive flags for arriving Americans. But as far as prejudice goes, we sure get a double load of it here, from there. I belong to an organization that fully recognizes the help of the French during our revolution and particularly the relationship between Washington and Lafayette. Today in our nations capital there stands a huge statue of Lafayette on his horse in a park named, Lafayette square. If you want to find a symbol of American sacrifice in France you can also. There is a beautiful cemetery where fallen Americans can be found. Something we asked for and was readily made available to us was a place to bury our dead.

Postby Guest » December 17th 2010, 6:49am

No complaints here w/ your statment...in fact, I totally agree.

Postby 32771 » December 17th 2010, 11:31am

http://www.yemausa.com/

I think the same guys that run OrientUSA import them.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Watch Noob » December 17th 2010, 11:41am

I wouldn't piss on France if it were on fire.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » December 17th 2010, 12:24pm

Timebender wrote:
koimaster wrote:

Certainly I agree with you on every point including past evils such as Nazi sympathizers in this country. As to the french standing against evil, would be wrong to leave out and not recognize the french resistance that hid Jews, attacked occupying troops, assisted escaped POW's and many other acts of bravery. I think so many feel the way I do not ignoring the many sacrifices the French have made but, the way America and Americans are looked down upon by that government and many of it's people today and, after the sacrifices we have made not once, but twice for the French to help end the very atrocities you have pointed out. My first hand personal experience is, an American visiting Berlin, the city in a country we along with others invaded to end two wars will mostly find friendly and welcoming people. And Berlin is by far not the warmest city in Germany to visit. Considering it is a large and busy city. Like many other cities, a lot of people don't know or care that you are there. Visiting Paris in the same year, it is obvious you are looked down upon by many. So much so I left early and returned to Germany. I did not enter either one of those countries with any preconceived thoughts or bias. I do admit that I left one with a new notion and bias that has lasted. I also admit, I have never returned and therefore I may find things are different now but, those that I know that have visited since I have and certainly more recently say it has gotten worse in the last 10 years of so and not better. But, that is of course hearsay and not first hand experience. But with what I experienced and knowing the people so well that I have discussed this with, I have little reason to doubt there truthfulness. If we don't agree on everything we have stated I believe that you and I would certainly agree that prejudice of any form, or the denial or rights and/or respect for any peoples just because they are what they are is wrong and has proven to be one of the most dangerous natures in mankind. My disdain came from not a prejudice for a people because of who or what they are but for the way I and my country are looked at by the masses. Similarly, I recognize we are not very welcome and even hated by many in the Arab world. However, like the french I do not suggest that every Arab is bad. Quite the contrary there are many Arabs, both Muslim and non-Muslim that fight terrorism right along with the rest of the free world. There are many that make there home right here in the USA as productive citizens and even serving in our military. But, I am not going to be visiting the mid east any time soon. I do not expect the French to waive flags for arriving Americans. But as far as prejudice goes, we sure get a double load of it here, from there. I belong to an organization that fully recognizes the help of the French during our revolution and particularly the relationship between Washington and Lafayette. Today in our nations capital there stands a huge statue of Lafayette on his horse in a park named, Lafayette square. If you want to find a symbol of American sacrifice in France you can also. There is a beautiful cemetery where fallen Americans can be found. Something we asked for and was readily made available to us was a place to bury our dead.

http://www.answers.com/topic/american-battle-monuments-commission

There are a great many monuments to Americans in France.

I fail to understand how someone can dislike an entire group or race based on the actions of a small minority but such is human nature. My father & I were in Paris and he was hailing cabs, none of which stopped. He walked up to one on the curbside and asked to be taken to the train station so we could catch a train to Brittany. Several of the cab drivers started insulting him as an American anon. On the lapel of my father's jacket were two red ribbons which he pointed to. Everyone shut up as he denounced them as Vichey and why had he risked his life to protect such ungrateful people. We got the cab ride for free, the train for free and a cab waiting for us in Treboul in Brittany. To this day in France, to call someone a Vichey is worse than insulting their mother.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Watch Noob » December 17th 2010, 12:26pm

Alain, I didn't know you were French???? I think I need to turn in my resignation you froggy basturd. Image
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby Guest » December 17th 2010, 12:47pm

Alain,

Thanks for the battle monument link. That is a great resource. I spent a little time there but have saved it so I can go back in and really look.

As far as not understanding, I agree. It has been beyond my comprehension for a very long time. I really made the turn when I experienced it for my self. I guess my poor thinking goes to the lowest level of plain thought. When I was younger and prone to be in places that were prone to bring about problems, if I had been getting the hell kicked out of me in one of those and you came in and got the bastards off of me, you would then be a friend for life. I sure would never thumb my nose at you.

Man, I sure have bastardized this thread!
Sorry gang.
:nosethumb:

Postby koimaster » December 17th 2010, 2:38pm

Watch Noob wrote:Alain, I didn't know you were French???? I think I need to turn in my resignation you froggy basturd. Image

Alain, french for Alan but with far more class. :ubetch:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby boscoe » December 20th 2010, 3:10pm

I love French fries, French onion soup and LaFayette.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Guest » December 20th 2010, 4:19pm

I'm looking forward to a return trip to France one day.
Americans are looked down upon by many, and often they bring it on themselves while traveling abroad. Learning to say, and using, pleasantries as simple as "please" and "thank you" in the native language goes a long way.

Postby Darksider » May 18th 2016, 4:14pm

:)
Darksider
Founder

Postby conjurer » May 18th 2016, 4:48pm

Watch Noob wrote:I wouldn't piss on France if it were on fire.

:D
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » June 8th 2017, 9:19am

ttt

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder