Detailed Investigation Into The Mysterious Lip 'Paul Newman

Watches from Other EU countries

Detailed Investigation Into The Mysterious Lip 'Paul Newman

Postby Darksider » April 6th 2017, 9:33am

I became strongly enamored with this blue Lip chronograph in 2013. I had seen the watch before (being a Frenchman ensures you get exposed to countless Lip and Yema watches), but was a wrist shot published on the Vintage Rolex Forum that made me fall in love. Obsession is the name of the game with vintage watches, so I have been monitoring every single blue Lip offered publicly ever since – and I even bought two examples myself along the way. After observing over 20 examples in addition to my own, I feel fairly confident in saying that of the two mysterious variations of this blue dial Lip chronograph, it's likely that only one is the real deal.

There is no reason to doubt the authenticity of the Lip "Paul Newman," in general. The nickname comes from the design of the sub-registers, which are of course also found in the Rolex Daytona worn by the famous actor. The dials for both watches were made by Singer. Lip and Rolex are not the only brands to show the characteristic square markers in the chronograph counters, which can also found on vintage Vulcain, Nivada, and Wakmann chronos, to name just a few. Lip offered two very colorful dials in that configuration: the blue version under discussion here, and an orange one as well. These watches date to the late 1960s and early 1970s, at a time when Lip (and most other manufacturers) really struggled – to the point where Lip eventually went bankrupt in 1977.

The most contentious point about this blue Lip chronograph has to do with the two variations that can often be found, and whether or not one is the true, correct watch. There's no 100% firm answer to this question, but I've done some investigating, made some judgement calls, and compared all the watches I possibly could, to try to get us closer to the truth. Let's compare the merits of each and decide for ourselves.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lip-p ... estigation
Darksider
Founder

Return to European Watch Making