I Want To Be Made Whole--Smiths Everest!

Smiths, Speedbird, Precista

I Want To Be Made Whole--Smiths Everest!

Postby conjurer » May 22nd 2015, 7:06pm

I'd pay somebody $310 to get this piece of motherfucking shit out of my goddamn house:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-smi ... 38569.html
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: I Want To Be Made Whole--Smiths Everest!

Postby foghorn » May 22nd 2015, 7:17pm

I'm Jonesin' for a Smiths.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 22nd 2015, 9:21pm

But it's got the 9015 - the watch movement that Master Wing surmised is "so, so rare"!
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 22nd 2015, 10:44pm

"Very good condition...scratch on the bezel..."

What a fucking moron.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » May 22nd 2015, 11:18pm

The 'Smiths' Everest is arguably a pinnacle of modern horology....

(which is code for 'a pile of shit')
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby codguy » May 23rd 2015, 6:46am

Smiths..... The watch company that surpassed CW as England's top highend watch manufacturer.

That alone justifies the asking price.

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » May 23rd 2015, 7:03am

Do you guys have TimeFactor hate? Just wondering, have always been curious about their products especially Precistas but seems a hate object here, wondering?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » May 23rd 2015, 10:07am

tiktok wrote:Do you guys have TimeFactor hate? Just wondering, have always been curious about their products especially Precistas but seems a hate object here, wondering?

Conjurer takes the podium...
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 23rd 2015, 11:11am

biglove wrote:
tiktok wrote:Do you guys have TimeFactor hate? Just wondering, have always been curious about their products especially Precistas but seems a hate object here, wondering?

Conjurer takes the podium...

I shall post a rant when I get home later today.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby fatman » May 23rd 2015, 11:18am

:221:
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » May 23rd 2015, 12:11pm

I look forward to your scatological wisdom, conj.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby catnap » May 23rd 2015, 12:47pm

tiktok wrote:I look forward to your scatological wisdom, conj.

:?:
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » May 23rd 2015, 1:29pm

Please don't confuse conjurer with our member that is enthralled with all things feces.
Last edited by codguy on May 23rd 2015, 10:06pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 23rd 2015, 5:13pm

Very well. Where to begin?

One day a few years ago I was sauntering around the net, probably drinking while I did so, and came across the Timefactors website. I had been looking for something that kinda looked like an Explorer, and found the Everest, which I think was in production but hadn't yet started to ship. I had some coin in my paypal, so I decided to give it a shot--but, low and behold, the jamoke who runs Timefactors was "on holiday" and wouldn't be accepting orders for two weeks.

Naturally, since he was a Brit, and Conjurer wanted his itch scratched, but fast, I posted a rant here about the British and their many shortcomings. I believe I included some jokes about their very poor dental hygene, as well as their haphazard attention to business which morphed into a diatribe about them losing their empire and the fact that they went "on holiday" when they should have filled my fucking order, goddamn it.

Alas, the owner of Timefacters, who must be a rare idiot, came across this Jolly Rant and posted about it at TZ-UK, where he's a member and resident watchmaker, who apparently makes inexpensive watches for the toffs when they want to slum a bit and not wear their Pannies or Rollies while looking for Rough Trade down by the waterfront.

Well, as one can imagine, the Limeys didn't care for my rant very much at all; one Colonel Blimp referred to me as "an absolute penis." Now, as much as I've disparaged foreigners--and as much as my views are held in contempt by most people with any taste at all--this should have passed pretty quickly. However, Alain is/was a member at TZ-UK, and being the gentleman and pal he is, decided to jump to my defense. Thinks got somewhat tense, especially when Alain very correctly pointed out that we Americans had twice prevented the Limeys from speaking German.

Enough of the backstory. I was finally able to put an order in for the Smiths--I still had to wait four weeks or something for it to get to me--and when it did I had to drive half an hour to the local FedEx depot to pick the sumbitch up, and got dinged customs fees in the bargain (the only time, actually, that I've ever had to pay these.)

The watch, after the wait and the International Incident, was nothing to write home about. It was inaccurate, it was stupid looking, it was also strangely not proportioned right--it's hard to put a finger on it, but it looked OK in the pictures but on the wrist it was about as attractive as Camilla Porkher-Bowells snapper. I sold it off quickly and never bothered to do a review of it.

And this from a country that built the first Dreadnaught battleship!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » May 23rd 2015, 5:35pm

Capital, John. The only note I would add, if I may, is that TimeFactor Eddie is not only a member at TZ-UK, but also the owner and administrator. It has been speculated that Eddie's ownership may be at least partly related to the universally positive reviews of even the dreariest Timefactors products at that forum. That, or the Pomogolians just have shit taste in watches.

Credit must be given, however, where credit is due. Eddie's 6105 ripoff - sorry, clone - sorry, copy - sorry, homage - is more accurate than that bloated monstrosity churned out a while back by Rolex Jake.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » May 24th 2015, 12:42am

conjurer wrote:Very well. Where to begin?

One day a few years ago I was sauntering around the net, probably drinking while I did so, and came across the Timefactors website. I had been looking for something that kinda looked like an Explorer, and found the Everest, which I think was in production but hadn't yet started to ship. I had some coin in my paypal, so I decided to give it a shot--but, low and behold, the jamoke who runs Timefactors was "on holiday" and wouldn't be accepting orders for two weeks.

Naturally, since he was a Brit, and Conjurer wanted his itch scratched, but fast, I posted a rant here about the British and their many shortcomings. I believe I included some jokes about their very poor dental hygene, as well as their haphazard attention to business which morphed into a diatribe about them losing their empire and the fact that they went "on holiday" when they should have filled my fucking order, goddamn it.

Alas, the owner of Timefacters, who must be a rare idiot, came across this Jolly Rant and posted about it at TZ-UK, where he's a member and resident watchmaker, who apparently makes inexpensive watches for the toffs when they want to slum a bit and not wear their Pannies or Rollies while looking for Rough Trade down by the waterfront.

Well, as one can imagine, the Limeys didn't care for my rant very much at all; one Colonel Blimp referred to me as "an absolute penis." Now, as much as I've disparaged foreigners--and as much as my views are held in contempt by most people with any taste at all--this should have passed pretty quickly. However, Alain is/was a member at TZ-UK, and being the gentleman and pal he is, decided to jump to my defense. Thinks got somewhat tense, especially when Alain very correctly pointed out that we Americans had twice prevented the Limeys from speaking German.

Enough of the backstory. I was finally able to put an order in for the Smiths--I still had to wait four weeks or something for it to get to me--and when it did I had to drive half an hour to the local FedEx depot to pick the sumbitch up, and got dinged customs fees in the bargain (the only time, actually, that I've ever had to pay these.)

The watch, after the wait and the International Incident, was nothing to write home about. It was inaccurate, it was stupid looking, it was also strangely not proportioned right--it's hard to put a finger on it, but it looked OK in the pictures but on the wrist it was about as attractive as Camilla Porkher-Bowells snapper. I sold it off quickly and never bothered to do a review of it.

And this from a country that built the first Dreadnaught battleship!

Sorry John but I laughed out loud when I read this.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby bedlam » May 24th 2015, 1:00am

The Timefactors Benrus clone is a decent watch too.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby fatman » May 24th 2015, 2:20am

Was that your scatological wisdom all over your keyboard the other day?
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby catnap » May 24th 2015, 8:08am

jason_recliner wrote:Capital, John. The only note I would add, if I may, is that TimeFactor Eddie is not only a member at TZ-UK, but also the owner and administrator. It has been speculated that Eddie's ownership may be at least partly related to the universally positive reviews of even the dreariest Timefactors products at that forum. That, or the Pomogolians just have shit taste in watches.

Credit must be given, however, where credit is due. Eddie's 6105 ripoff - sorry, clone - sorry, copy - sorry, homage - is more accurate than that bloated monstrosity churned out a while back by Rolex Jake.

Jakes Typhoon and Noah's Tsunami weren't meant to be 1:1copies of the 6105 and 6309, were they?
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » May 24th 2015, 12:14pm

fatman wrote:

Was that your scatological wisdom all over your keyboard the other day?

No, it was my nephew's peanut butter sandwich meets the keyboard but taking a dump on a pc is an inviting idea.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » May 24th 2015, 12:20pm

I've handled a Smith's Everest from a fellow watch enthusiast and I concur with Conj, that it was a pretty hefty piece of shit.

On the other hand I have Eddie's PRS-82 and it feels, runs and looks like it came from someone else entirely. I love this watch and although it's pretty much a replica, the original is nearly impossible to find and has some horological significance to boot.

He even sourced NOS movements of the same ETA caliber as the original British Navy icon.

Bought used, I'm not a huge fan of Eddie Platts.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 24th 2015, 12:45pm

AJC wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Eddie Platts.

Me two!! eaRl Scruggs was more betterer.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby AJC » May 24th 2015, 12:50pm

foghorn wrote:
AJC wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Eddie Platts.

Me two!! eaRl Scruggs was more betterer.

DOnT lyKe hiM eether. NO BanJo musack 4 me!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » May 24th 2015, 1:15pm

Thank you for illuminating this TimeFactors freak fest. I have to admit that TF's website makes stuff look pretty inviting with all the engineering like drawings and whatnot, but I probably got the bee in my bonnet more from all the TZ-UK props for the brand. It is very misleading when a forum is run by a brand owner and they can create a self-buzz that way. In my business there are very few forums to dive through and one of the biggest turned into a love fest for the products of one dealer in rare essential oils. It was quite impressive until on another forum someone posted the whois for the website and the site owner was the oil distiller's mother.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » January 3rd 2017, 9:28am

:dev:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Next

Return to Smiths