Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to Moon

Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to Moon

Postby koimaster » December 29th 2016, 4:57pm

I recently got myself the Bulova Moon Watch, a reproduction released by the brand earlier this year. For those of you unaware, the watch is based on an unofficial prototype worn by Astronaut David Scott during the Apollo 15 mission. That watch first came to light in 2015 when it was auctioned and sold for $1,300,000 at RR Auctions. Bulova naturally seized on the hype, and released their homage to that now iconic watch later that year.

Now, as fascinating as this all is, I prefer to dig a little deeper on the watches I buy, so I started doing some research. Specifically, I wanted to know the differences between the original and the current reproduction, so I started with the movement. In my research, there was confusion whether the original had a Valjoux 72 or 7736. But let’s shelve that for now, because as I dug deeper, I found bits of information suggesting the original watch was actually a variant of the Universal Genève Space-Compax! That was totally unexpected, but being as curious as I am, I found find myself falling down a rabbit hole, one that I learned was filled with many dubious leads.

Unsurprisingly, most Internet forum chatter is hearsay. Claims are often presented without any substantiated research or proof. These claims then turn into facts through the echo chamber that is Online watchdom.

http://wornandwound.com/bulova-used-uni ... one-today/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to Moon

Postby bedlam » December 29th 2016, 5:25pm

Interesting. Thanks Koi
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » December 30th 2016, 7:50am

It's not news, this was being discussed on MWR over a year ago. http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... y-however-)-gt&p=237449&viewfull=1#post237449

It has been discussed on WUS too, I think.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » December 30th 2016, 8:06am

bobbee wrote:It's not news, this was being discussed on MWR over a year ago. http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... y-however-)-gt&p=237449&viewfull=1#post237449

It has been discussed on WUS too, I think.

It was news to me. I'm not a member at MWR and am banned at WUS. Things within my expertise might well be news to you even though I have discussed them elsewhere.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » December 30th 2016, 5:41pm

It was news to me too. I don't frequent a lot of other forums, I usually just check in periodically.
I enjoyed the article.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » December 30th 2016, 11:00pm

svaglic wrote:It was news to me too. I don't frequent a lot of other forums, I usually just check in periodically.
I enjoyed the article.

Yup, me too. It seems that three-quarters of articles about watches on the web these days concern themselves with what sort of timepiece that a fictional spy wore in poorly written novels; this one actually held my attention, and I feel that I actually learned something new.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » December 31st 2016, 1:57am

Sorry guys, on looking at my post again it looks like an asshole wrote it.
He did.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » December 31st 2016, 2:05am

bobbee wrote:Sorry guys, on looking at my post again it looks like an asshole wrote it.
He did.

That's not news.

:D

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » December 31st 2016, 8:52am

Good that we know that now... :mrgreen:
Btw. the Universal Geneve Chronograph movements are very nice. Still missing in my collection.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Return to Bulova & Accutron